• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Flipper's bad boy cousins! Dolphin pod gets 'high' off pufferfish toxins

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Dolphins are said to have many human-like social traits; including the predilection for recreational drugs it seems.
Hidden cameras captured a pod in action as they got 'high' from nerve toxins released by a pufferfish in waters off Southeast Africa.

In the incredible scene, filmed for a Discovery Channel special, the sea creatures are seen rolling on their backs with their eyes closed in an apparent state of bliss.

At one point the dolphins are seen floating just underneath the water's surface, apparently mesmerized by their own reflections.

Though large doses of a puffer's neurotoxinthe can be deadly - 100 times more potent than cyanide - in small amounts it is known to produce a narcotic effect.

To release the substance, the bottlenose dolphins were caught chasing the pufferfish along the ocean floor.

In a bid to escape attack, footage shows the fish quickly inflating into a ball shape.

The playful dolphins then grab the puffer between their teeth and pass it around until it eventually lets out a burst of poison.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...erfish-toxins-buzzed-spot-prey-slip-away.html

There is a video on the page that shows the dolphins getting HIGH.%)

Haha I remember seeing that on DC. Not really surprising though as most animals with enough intellect do similar things, really cool/interesting nonetheless though!

That's awesome...I've heard that when ppl eat fugu ((pufferfish) prepped correctly of course, it makes your lips tingle and kind of go numb and also is said to make one relaxed and blissful.

I'd love to try fugu. Watch me get a piece of liver and drop dead ha that would suck

^Fugu tastes pretty good, but I have never gotten tingles or numbness from eating it.
I have had it raw, boiled, and dried, and all are quite nice.

Since other animals also use drugs/ get high, it helps with the argument that getting high is very natural.

Alteration of consciousness seems to be something all sorts of life seeks. Monkeys on a tropical island stealing tourists fruity cocktails, reindeer eating amamtia muscria mushrooms, bees getting intoxicated, Jaguars chewing on B. Cappi, monkeys(I think)eating millipedes, horses eating locoweed, Dolphins chewing on pufferfish, etc!

I have a very vague memory from childhood of watching a nature program about butterflies which claimed that butterflies get "drunk" from drinking flower nectar. Can anyone verify this?

I saw a thing about moose getting drunk on fermented fallen apples once. I think seeking intoxication is more common in the animal kingdom than we think.