View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Flashbacks are they real?

Innerpeace

Bluelighter
was watching True detective and the guy has a flashback while driving...cars are blurred and lightys are coming toward him while hes driving in the city on an intersecton....

ive done lsd one time , it was either low dosed, milk or fake I felt something though and some mild stuff

is this something to be concerned about on hallucinations?

It's more like an anxiety while you're driving. They reference it while they're driving because people experience them during that situation. It's something about having to be focusing on the road. There may be some visual hallucination but nothing like a full blown acid trip. Just some walls breathing and shapes shifting a little. You learn to live with it if you have it and it gets better as time goes on....I've had it bad but it's pretty much better now. Most people don't experience it.

If you had it you'd know it by now.

It's not real....I've tripped dozens of times over 20 years and never had a flashback

HPPD is real.....had that going on for years.....kinda like a free trip ;-)

usually caused by lsd; although, others can cause this, lsd is the primary one.

and she goes onto say if dont use it in the correct way, a spiritual setting, integrating into your experiences, one a more likely to get HPPD. thats why you need positive support group around, she says

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_O89VxFYjo

btw driving seems to be one of the main ones that trigger it , due to bright lights and such

I've experienced them from salvia and I think they were related to PTSD. Basically I'd experience a split second feeling of being back in that experience, and a consequent flash of intense anxiety. It used to really jar me. There were never any visuals associated with the flashbacks, in my experience. I used to trigger them with my own brain/thoughts, I.e by thinking a certain action I was about to perform would propel me back into it all.

Last edited:
Yes, they are. You can get them even if you've never done drugs.

they are either really rare and/or they happen to a rare number of people.

It's usually set off by external stimuli that reminds a person (subconsciously or not) of an event that is meaningful to him/her. Though I don't think I've gotten one either. Maybe déjà vu, but that's it.

It's happened to me once or twice, but no one else I know. I'm going with super rare.

I wish, I have to pay for my trips, no freebies 20 years later or anything yet. I feel a bit conned by the propaganda.

So generally the consensus is the acid flashbacks aren't real??

Then why did one of my friends have one years ago?

We were in college and just sitting in someone's dorm room and I think it had been MONTHS or if not at least WEEKS since he'd tripped and he suddenly got up and walked out of the room cause he was freaking out.

He said that all of the sudden this girl's computer looked like it split in half and the parts were moving around in the air and other weird shit was happening and he was getting visuals just as if he were on acid but he was completely sober.

Not sure if there's any reason that should happen out of the blue like that if they aren't a real phenomena.

Wait, what? I thought the general consensus would be that it is.

Flashbacks, whether originating from a substance or not, are real. One is probably more likely to get them after using psychedelics. So you have it correct.

So generally the consensus is the acid flashbacks aren't real??

No, the consensus is that they are real; just generally exaggerated/misunderstood, rare, and likely routed in some kind of psychological health issue like PTSD.

I got flashbacks from PTSD. If something bad happened when you were tripping, the acid would make it feel a million times worse so I can see THAT way of producing flashbacks. It seems that the brain isn't usually strongly imprinted during an acid trip, but it has the potential to amplify imprinting. It was this that made the US test it as a truth serum.

In fact, it appears that simultaneous IV injections of a barbiturate (usually a thiobarbiturate) and (lots) of amphetamine/methamphetamine was the most successful. The barbiturate still closed down the executive functions of the brain while leaving the person conscious, babbling about all kinds of things. With luck, some information was extracted but it was totally random and so not reliable.

One of my co-workers, who used shrooms and LSD a lot in his later-teens and early 20's, swears he has them sometimes. Things will suddenly become more vibrant and blurred for a few moments. Sometimes he'll also feel like he's coming up.

I got dosed at the age of 12. Luckily it was only one hit dropped on sweet tarts. Since then i didnt try acid again until i was 23.
I can tell you that HPPD AND flashbacks are real. Ive experienced both of them differently at different times. Flashbacks are more like a mild and short trip whereas HPPD is much, much longer acting. The HPPD is a much weirder aspect for me. It has subsided.
I attribute the cause of the HPPD to be an excessive LSD intake for 6 months or so

real as fuck. i had flashbacks - acutely feeling like you're tripping again a while after the trip - and HPPD before i even knew that they existed

They're just a symptom of PTSD. Any strong emotional experience can cause them, and psychedelic drugs are good at that kind of thing.

Anyone who claims they feel like they are on drugs while not having taken anything is not experiencing a "flash back" in the sense that any medical professional would use the term. The term "flash back" is basically an updated version of the term "shell shock" and they are both episodes of extreme anxiety due to a sensation or "reminder" of a traumatic event. Basically it applies to soldiers way more then drug users and "flash back" most likely came from Vietnam vets "flashing back" to a time in the war feeling like they are in a battle down to the emotions. They cry and scream and have a very heard time because its so vivid and personal to them.

There are parallels between those PTSD causing events and very traumatizing trips but you do not suddenly start tripping and have a good time. Lets say during a psychotic break caused by LSD you were tazed by the police, seeing a tazer or a police officer my cause you to "flash back" to when you were getting chased and tazed and cause you to experience that fear and emotion again, but you are not likely to get a flash back from having a good time with friends the brain doesnt work that way.

The problem arises when drug users dont think about the whole context and as it was not created for them it must apply to people who dont use drugs so drugs can not be the cause an event must be. So flash back refers to reliving that very traumatic and life altering event in vivid and horrifying detail. The type of fear that you can not describe that no one will understand unless you have PTSD from an event too. You can get PTSD from having a bad childhood and the flashbacks that can occur because of those events you dont even remember.

Perhaps it is just a part of humanities evolution. Seeing things a certain way on drugs doesn't mean things can only be seen that way because of drugs

Real and not fun at all in my exp. Felt like the world was crashing. Hard to explain, but it was more than free trip. I felt like I was in hell and demons were playing with me. I hope I never feel like that ever again. I'm told just plain drug use can cause this. Not just LSD. I've used tons of drugs in my life and recently quit. Detox brought on a very scary flashback.