View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

first time trying LSD, questions about drug interactions

hannaheren

Greenlighter
I am thinking of trying LSD about a week from now for the first time. I take 225 mg Effexor and 2 mg abilify for depression and OCD. Is it safe to take LSD with these drugs? I have heard that they might dampen the trip, which would be disappointing, but I am most worried about the risk of serotonin syndrome. How likely is this to happen? If I skip my meds for the day of the trip will it reduce the risk of serotonin syndrome? I am also wondering how likely a bad trip is, considering I have anxious tendencies. Should I have some benzos on hand in case of a bad trip?

lsd is usually pretty mellow even when your scared your kinda cool just ride the wave bud. and i take a kpin sometimes hours before my trip and it always takes away that anxiety. I've had great trips without out it also its just the onset is kinda weird you don't really know what going on so to have something or even someone to calm you down with a very mellow energy will help drastically and its all about setting bud make sure your not in a nasty house or somewhere you don't want to be. i mean even if your house is dirty make your little area clean it up and just make it yours!! lol its sounds funny but you shall understand

This is not likely to cause serotonin syndrome, but what you should really be worried about is that your depression, OCD, and anxiety are likely to make your LSD experience unpleasant. In the worst case, by taking LSD you risk making your mental health issues worse, and more drugs will not be an effective solution for that. You should hold off on the LSD for now and wait for a later time, when your mental health might be better.

Rule of thumb:
* Serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI's, SNRI's, Tricyclics...) tend to dampen the trip due to the increased baseline serotonin levels.
* Antipsychotics (like Abilify) *strongly* dampen the trip as they block many of the receptors that are involved in the trip. However, 2mg of Abilify is, as far as I know, a tiny dose.
* Benzos dampen the intensity of the trip (especially visuals-wise), but there's no shame in taking a low dose to get yourself into a better mindset at the beginning. It's not like you're going for a full-blown "ego death" during your first psychedelic experience. And yes, you absolutely should have some benzos on hand in case things go South. Just the thought of having them nearby will seriously increase your peace of mind, thus reducing the chance of actually needing them.

Last edited:
I agree with Clocktower. It might not be the advice you were hoping to get, hannaheren - But it's probably the best advice you got in a long time, and you have the rest of your life to trip anyway. Better you wait untill you're in a better place than you sound to be now. The drugs you are taking are propably going to dampen your trip anyway, and no, taking one day of isn't going to clear them from your body, or get you biochemistry back to normal.

There should be no increased risk of SS though. So if you go along with it anyway, you don't have to worry about that.