• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc First time kava preparation

Slow_Mobius

Bluelight Crew
Today, I received some a waka grade Fijian ground kava root from wakacon. Seemed like a decent starting point from some of the reviews. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for dosage/prep for a first time kava user. I've been drinking a kava tea that I bought from wal mart and really enjoyed it, but from what I understand, ground root is a much different experience. My plan was to do the traditional kneading method but with warm water and a bit of vegetable oil to get a broader extraction profile. I was planning on using cheesecloth for filtration, but I've read that it's not the best to work with.

Any tips from more experienced users? I'm not concerned about the taste, just maximizing pleasant effects. Thank you!

Just take a few tablespoons put in a stocking and kneed for 10 minute in hot water. Dosage is tricky. Some of the kavalactones take longer to kick than others so be carreful. The general way to do it is to drink your first cup all at once, then wait a least half an hour before drinking more. You probably dont want to exceed 3 cups if this is tyour first time, or you might get nauseas or catch an alcoohl like hangover the next day.

I also took 9mg oxycodone about 3 hours ago. I'm hoping that doesn't change the high too much when I try it tonight or worsen the hangover

This might sound weird but I really don't feel high when I take oxycodone. Its great for pain, but it just makes me feel lightheaded. I tried taking a heavier dose about a week and a half ago and i just had a very unpleasant, dysphoric experience. For me, tramadol is 10 times more pleasant and euphoric.

You'll also want some sort of emulsifier (soy lecithin, milk, etc.). The active compounds in kava are fat-soluble, so just using water wouldn't get all of it out. Using some vegetable oil mixed in might work, but the oil might just end up staying in the kava. Emulsifiers bind the fat and water together.

Okay. This was kind of a crap shoot, but I added two cups of water ~55 degrees celsius to 2 tablespoons of olive oil. I proceeded to place 2.5 tablespoons of my kava root powder into 3 wraps of cheesecloth and kneaded the ball of kava powder in the mixture for ~7 minutes. I then strained out any remaining particulates though a cheesecloth monolayer and chugged ~1/2 of the mixture 6 minutes ago. I saved the used powder so I can use it again in case I don't feel any effects from the first go around.

Update... I didn't get much of the awful taste or mouth numbing effects I read about so I let the wad of kava soak in the mixture I had left for half an hour, periodically kneading it. Chugged that about 10 minutes ago... definitely feeling its effects now!

You'll also want some sort of emulsifier (soy lecithin, milk, etc.). The active compounds in kava are fat-soluble, so just using water wouldn't get all of it out. Using some vegetable oil mixed in might work, but the oil might just end up staying in the kava. Emulsifiers bind the fat and water together.

a bit of lecitine also helps extracting the kavalactones :)