• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction First Time IV Attempt Soon - need advice on filtering method & injection technique

arthunter888

Bluelighter
First Time IV Attempt Soon - need advice on filtering method & injection technique

background: So I've been an opiate addict for over 5 years, starting with oxy and opana, then to heroin (nasal), but recently I fell into a deep addiction to high quality fentanyl-HCL powder. Via mixing the fent into a nasal spray, I would injest 100mg over 4 days, then use subutex for the other 3 days to prevent withdrawal. I've been doing it this way every week for months. The sub would not really prevent WD, it just made it a little easier I still felt skin chills and heightened anxiety. So recently I lost my fent connect (he ran with my money, a big amount) so I am feeling shitty everyday, and I just want one night of relief this week and maybe get high if lucky. Obviously, because of the amount of fent I was doing on a regular basis, my opiate tolerance is now very high. but I read that fent tolerance resets quickly so hopefully my tolly will be lowered in a few days before I try the dilaudid.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here is my goal: from a few years ago, I saved a stash of 2 and a half dilaudid pills (8mg, Purdue brand), as well as 2 and a half oxymorphone 5mg IR pills (Endo brand) (if the dillys don't work I may try IV oxymorphone I'm certain that would work.). I have tried plugging 2 of the 8mg dilaudids before when my tolerance was low, and it did absolutely nothing except stop WD for a few hours so it left me yearning to experience this opiate (the only opiate I've never tried successfully). I've read that IV is the only way to really experience dilaudid, so I am now interested in trying it.

I just ordered some IV supplies and will have them in a few days. The day the supplies arrive is when I will try the IV dilaudid. The supplies are:

-a good wheel filter (Whatman Syringe Filter .20u Sterile, 2 count)

-Covidien - 3 CC Syringe with 25 G X 5/8" Needle, luer lock, (a lot of them)

-Covidien - Needle Only, 27 G 1/2 (a lot of them)

-Covidien - Needle Only, 30 G 3/4" (a lot of them)

My planned method
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Crush 2 dilaudid pills (16mg total) into a fine powder and place into a shot glass with 3ml of Reverse-Osmosis (pure) water.
(before, I have tried just dropping the whole pill into 5ml water and it did not dissolve at all even after 10 minutes, which is weird because I thought dilaudids were designed to easily dissolve. I ended up having to crush it with the end of an oral syringe in the shot glass before plugging)

2) back load a piece of coffee filter of piece of cotton into an oral syringe to do an initial filter (which material is better?).

3) Use a dropper to suck up dilly solution, then squirt into the oral syringe with filter, then push it with plunger through the filter into another shot glass. (Is this pre-filter even necessary or can the amount of solid particles left over in solution be handled without problem by the wheel filter?)

4) Suck up solution with 3cc syringe with 25G needle. Remove needle, and attach wheel filter. attach new 25G needle to other end of wheel filter.

5) Squirt solution through filter directly into the front of a new 3cc syringe without needle (by putting the needle attached to wheel filter inside the front of the new 3cc syringe and squirting solution into the new syringe)

6) This is now the syringe I will inject with. So I will attach one of the needles I bought separately but not sure which one.
(the 30G needle is thinner so would be less painful and less likely to leave a big puncture hole in my arm, but it is 3/4 inches long which may be difficult to use and hit a vein for a first timer. The 27G needle is thicker so would be more painful and likely to leave a puncture hole, but it has the advantage of being only 1/2 inch long which is smaller and easier to work with and hit a vein. Which one do you experienced IVers recommend I use?)

7) After I attach the chosen needle it's time to inject. I'll first squirt out any air bubbles in the syringe. Then I'll use a tourniquet held tight by my teeth to make the veins in my arm pop up. I'll decide which vein looks and feels best (it will probably be the inside crook of my elbow since this is the one the nurses always used when I've had blood drawn and they all commented on how perfect that vein was for poking).

8 ) I'll sterilize with alcohol swab, then inject into the vein at a 45-degree-angle. I'll register (pull back plunger to see if blood flows in to verify I am actually in the vein) and if I'm in the vein I will let go of the tourniquet, then push down the plunger, remove needle and hope the dilaudid works.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that's it. I've watched youtube videos on IV practice to get info on how to find a good vein and shoot safely.

Do you experienced IVers think this method is solid and without flaws?
Also please give me advice on whether to use the 30G 3/4 inch needle, or the 27G 1/2 inch needle to inject and why.
And how do I prevent getting into the vein and poking through the other side of the vein which would not be good.
Any other advice I have not thought of is welcome too.

Sorry for the length but I really want to do this safely so thanks for reading this far!

I don't know but those needles are off should be 30 g 1,2or 1,5

Injecting pills is a bit of a wild card endeavour, as you are well aware. You seem, however, to be going about it in what might be considered the safest possible way, using micron filters and such. I don't see any imminent problem with your method.

everything you're posting is the safest way to IV pills. i will just let you know that with your tolerance 16mg of dillie may or may not hit you, i've recently IV'd dillies, it was only 4mg but my tolerance is low and it was the most intense rush ive ever experienced, it was awesome but the high is very short lived. the euphoria goes away in about 30 minutes but it will still keep you well for a good 6 to 8 hours just no high, at least that was my experience. i didn't do all that filtering you're doing either as the pill once crushed seemed to disolve in the 30-40cc's of water. good luck

I like the 29g 1/2 inch u-100 needles...I have found that 30G always clogs. Those 25G luer-locks are PAINFUL I kept a few of those rigs as emergency backup but the one time I tried to use it, I ended up digging thru my trash for a 29g...gross, I know, but once you scamper down the rabbit hole that is bangin' dope, You will find yourself often surprised at the depth of your own depravity. Best of luck. After a 17 year long love affair with I VING dope and cocaine, I can proudly say that I'm happily sober for almost five years, despite one pesky little relapse ;) but I'm good now

Edit: as for the second part of your question, about your planned filtering technique....Sounds pretty fucking complicated if you ask me, but then again a soup spoon and a piece of cigarette filter that I had bit off with my teeth, scrunched up and thrown in the spoon with 30 units of (occasionally bottled) water was just fine for me

Last edited:
Ah Dilaudid the very first drug i ever IVed. The name brand Dilaudid pills are about as safe as your getting when it comes to IVing pills. It's by no means safe mind you as it's not like you are injecting something from a vial but as they have only 2 fillers (Lactose anhydrous and magnesium stearate) and the 8's lack the dye in the other pills that's as good as you are getting. Filtering with a micron filter is the way to go using sterile water. I use the 1CC 30 Gauge short tips and i have been using this method since 2009 on many different pills with no complications. The 30 Gauge short tips are perfect as i have never had one clog (i never reuse needles though so this is not much of a issue) and they barely leave any mark at all.

Beware though that IV Dilaudid is a whole other ball game. It really is the crack of opiates as it's all rush and you want another shot much sooner then you would say Morphine. My habit with IV Hydromorphone got so out of hand that at the peak of my addiction i was injecting 54 to 72mg's of Hydromorphone per shot atleast every 6 hours and potentiating it with taking Promethazine about a hour before my shot. If your wondering how the hell i managed that i was using the Hydromorph Contins which are pretty popular in Canada atm due to the high doses of Hydromorphone compared to the IR Dilaudid pills.

So my advice is tred with caution unless you want a huge opiate habit.

I just wanted to report that I just IVd an 8mg dilaudid successfully!!! (about 4 hours ago, then another one 15 minutes ago as the first wore off so quick). When I opened the 27G needle and opened the 30G to compare them, I ended up choosing the 30G even though it's a little bit longer though because it looked so much thinner and I wanted minimal pain and minimal puncture hole in my arm.

I followed the op method exactly, but I still can't believe I actually hit a vein!!! When I got in and pulled back, seeing blood rush in was such a relief. I was convinced I would screw it up and cause a weird bump/rash or something. There isn't even any discoloration around the puncture spot and the hole is so tiny. But I will admit that the first time it took me a whole 30 minutes just to find a good vein (opposite side of elbow but toward inner side of arm). To get the veins visible I had to do every trick possible; I ran hot water over my arm for a few minutes, I did "windmill" spins with the arm, and I tied the tourniquet as tight as I possibly could, and they did become more visible but they were still not obvious because I have fatty forearms due to being overweight.

As for the effect, it was this head rush that built over 30 seconds, then the entire high was kind of a head rush at full strength. It was not as great as I thought it would be, I wanted more of a tingly body high (like with oxycodone, oxymorphone) and did not get much of a body high at all, mainly just decent sedation and the sensation of my head feeling really heavy. I'd describe it as very similar to when I plugged 100mg of morphine but without the painful tension in the back of the head/neck. I think in hindsight I should have done them both at the same time but was trying to save one.

I also snorted .5mg of subutex 14 hours before the first shot, and before that I always snort 1mg when waking up and .5mg when I go to bed (I do this everyday now). Is it possible that the subutex (either from 14hrs earlier or just that it's built up in my system from everyday maintenance) prevented me from feeling the full force of the dilaudid? Or does it only matter when you took your most recent dose?

Next week I will try 5mg opana IR (the name brand by endo from 4 years ago). How safe are these to IV even with a micron filter? They are blue colored so I'm not sure if die/coloring is good or bad for veins?

Ah Dilaudid the very first drug i ever IVed. The name brand Dilaudid pills are about as safe as your getting when it comes to IVing pills.

So my advice is tred with caution unless you want a huge opiate habit.

Yes I had the name brand dilaudids also (P | d on one side, and 8 on the other with a vertical line down the middle)

If you read the background part of my first post you will see how much of a huge opiate habit I already had. That huge amount of pure fentanyl I was doing for months was the worst period of my opiate addiction, and I've done them all.

Um, I could be wrong but the subutex blocks your opiate receptors, making it pretty much impossible to get high. I'm on methadone so I'm not completely sure, but I'm like 99% confident that is the case...

Um, I could be wrong but the subutex blocks your opiate receptors, making it pretty much impossible to get high. I'm on methadone so I'm not completely sure, but I'm like 99% confident that is the case...

Depends on the dosage..

Yeah I think it is pretty much anything above four milligrams is a blocking dose. Even at lower dose it pretty much takes away most of the potency.

That subutex was definitely blocking some of it for you. I was taking about 4mg of bupe a day on maintenance and stopped totally for 10 days. Even being in full blown sub withdrawal I still couldn't get high from snorting 2 Oxy 30s. I tried heroin too. Plugged 150mg of morphine and the only thing I could accomplish was feeling well, no high. It took close to a month off bupe before I could get high again. I've had IV Dilaudid before in the hospital and it was the best rush I've ever had. Better than heroin my friend.

I understand bupe will block the high, but I am only taking 1.5mg per day, and on the day that I did the dilaudid I only took .5mg upon waking and did the shot 14 hours after that. So did these low bupe doses have a major blockage on my high of just a minor one?

That subutex was definitely blocking some of it for you. I was taking about 4mg of bupe a day on maintenance and stopped totally for 10 days. Even being in full blown sub withdrawal I still couldn't get high from snorting 2 Oxy 30s. I tried heroin too. Plugged 150mg of morphine and the only thing I could accomplish was feeling well, no high. It took close to a month off bupe before I could get high again. I've had IV Dilaudid before in the hospital and it was the best rush I've ever had. Better than heroin my friend.

I have heard it's a better kick then Heroin but i can't really compare as i have never had Heroin. Most people i know who use Heroin, Morphine and Dilaudid say that Heroin is closer to the kick from Morphine which makes sense as Heroin turns into Morphine once it crosses the BBB. I can't believe my Dilaudid habit got so out of hand that IVing
72mg's of Hydromorphone atleast 4 times a day was pretty much my regular schedule. That was pure mental.

I like the 29g 1/2 inch u-100 needles...I have found that 30G always clogs. Those 25G luer-locks are PAINFUL I kept a few of those rigs as emergency backup but the one time I tried to use it, I ended up digging thru my trash for a 29g...gross, I know, but once you scamper down the rabbit hole that is bangin' dope, You will find yourself often surprised at the depth of your own depravity. Best of luck. After a 17 year long love affair with I VING dope and cocaine, I can proudly say that I'm happily sober for almost five years, despite one pesky little relapse ;) but I'm good now

Edit: as for the second part of your question, about your planned filtering technique....Sounds pretty fucking complicated if you ask me, but then again a soup spoon and a piece of cigarette filter that I had bit off with my teeth, scrunched up and thrown in the spoon with 30 units of (occasionally bottled) water was just fine for me
I like your sense of humor sweet zoe and your writing style. You remind me of me.. I too have marveled over the seemingly bottomless depths of my drug induced depravity! LoL. ie; drawing water up from rain puddle, toilet tank, biting off chunk off filter from cigarette that IDK who smoked...It goes on and on. I cant remember half of the crazy,stupid,careless and reckless shit I've done behind my 40 years of using. Sanding rigs with matchbooks is a good one. Oh man dont even get me started!!LOL..BTW..Been clean 2 years except for methadone which I just voluntarily tapered off of. Last dose 9 days ago. Doing ok EXCEPT for insomnia..AARRGGHH!! So tired of yawning!! Feel like some kind of Hybrid Zombie!