• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc First time dosing DXM and interactions question

mrmarkvile

Greenlighter
What dose of DXM should I take for my first time? I want to make sure I definitely feel the effects, but don't want to be totally tripping or anything. Just a mild-moderate effect. Erowid suggests 100-200mg for a "light" experience, but am not sure if that will be too much for a lightweight new by?
I weigh 110lb if it matters.

Possible Interactions:
1) I take 150mg Zoloft and have done for 8 years. On the information leaflet it says not to take DXM if you are on an SSRI or have taken one in the past 14 days.
2) I take 400mg Tramadol a day. I've heard opiates and DXM potentate each other. Also, Tramadol being an SNRI might be similar The the SSRI thing?
3) The leaflet also says not to take DXM if you are taking ANY medications for mental health problems. I also take Trazodone and Seroquel.
4) I have Diphenhydramine, should I take it as a potentiator?

Any advice appreciated!

DO NOT take dxm while on those drugs! Tramadol also has SNRI effects so it effects serotonin as well, obviously the Zoloft interacts as well being an SSRI.

Taking dxm while using these drugs will guarantee that you'll get serotonin syndrome which can be life threatening. You are better off not taking DXM, if you wanted to take it you'd have to stop your current drug regimen and go through withdrawals for weeks.

Google serotonin syndrome, it's not a pleasant experience and can cause serious complications including death.

I have combined high doses of amphetamines, take double-doses of Zoloft or Trazodone. And I was on Amitriptyline, too. My brain seems very immune to Serotonin Syndrome.

At one point I was taking 150mg Zoloft, 400mg Trazodone, 100mg Amitriptyline, 600mg Tramadol and using around a gram of amphetamine every day.

Amphetamine isn't a very big releaser of serotonin.

Regardless of your previous experience mixing serotonin drugs I doubt you are gonna get responses that differ too much from mine. I beseech you not to do this, it's extremely dangerous. On top of the regular danger some people are extra sensitive to dxm and trip off very low doses. If you are hell bent on doing this do not start with the dose you plan to trip off, take a test dose first.

This is not safe and regardless of how many drugs you've mixed in the past you can't know how you'll react adding DXM to the mix.

Thanks for the safety info. I will keep in mind thatmy other medications (I often neglect to realise while on my various meds, any drug combo will be made into a cocktail, what with them being legit rx'd and taken every day) have consequences on any substances I may take.

I ended up taking 90mg tonight (taking 60mg, then adding another 30 in two additional 15mg doses). I didn't experience any of the symptoms of Serotonin Syndrome at a 90mg dose. I only got mild effects. Mild stimulation, improved mood, slight nausea, very very slight dissociation.
I didn't love it or hate it, it was just meh. I might try a dose of 120mg next time.
I will keep things safe by GRADUALLY trying bigger doses and always make sure I have someone I trust with me just in case I experience Serotonin Syndrome or otherwise feel I need to be seen in the emergency room.

I still don't feel it's safe to continue upping your dose but I'm happy to hear you are carefully tapering up instead of jumping up to big dose.

DXM is a pretty boring drug to me, I've only tried doses up to 300mg at that level it's a shitty buzz and a mediocre trip. Doses lower then that just feel like they dumb down my mind and produce a not quite enjoyable buzz.

My guess would be you could differ by like 1-5 fold in my opinion from zoloft which i think strongly inhibits cyp 2d6 p450 more specifically i would gamble it may make it reach twice as high max and last twice as long or greater with dangerous variation .

Why are you willing to risk serotonin toxicity and in the worst case death, just to get high off of DXM ?
A few month back a bluelighter died due to the combo of an SSRI and DXM, it's a painful death and imo it's not worth the risk