• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

First time doing DXM

I’ve never tried DXM because the only formulation that’s available here is a syrup with Ethanol in it too and I don’t know if there’s anything I can safely do with that. I sucked at chemistry, also at maths, so help me out here if you‘re willing. This list below means DMX and sugar and colouring and ethanol… but how much ethanol? Would 50mls of this cough syrup be like a couple of shots of vodka, or like, a go-blind-and-die level of alcohol? Is there a safe recreational dose to be had from this ingredient list?

Active ingredients​

Dextromethorphan

Ingredients​

Active Ingredients : Each 5ml dose containsDextromethorphan Hydrobromide 7.5mg.

Also contains : Maltitol (E965), Sorbitol solution 70%, Amaranth (E123), Ethanol (96%) 2.5 v/v.

I’ve never tried DXM because the only formulation that’s available here is a syrup with Ethanol in it too and I don’t know if there’s anything I can safely do with that. I sucked at chemistry, also at maths, so help me out here if you‘re willing. This list below means DMX and sugar and colouring and ethanol… but how much ethanol? Would 50mls of this cough syrup be like a couple of shots of vodka, or like, a go-blind-and-die level of alcohol? Is there a safe recreational dose to be had from this ingredient list?

Active ingredients​

Dextromethorphan

Ingredients​

Also contains : Maltitol (E965), Sorbitol solution 70%, Amaranth (E123), Ethanol (96%) 2.5 v/v.
I really don't know much about that so don't take my word for it, but I have heard about alcohol and DXM being a dangerous mix. I doubt that 50 ml would harm you just from the ethanol though.

I really don't know much about that so don't take my word for it, but I have heard about alcohol and DXM being a dangerous mix. I doubt that 50 ml would harm you just from the ethanol though.
Yeah, a little bit of alcohol shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the input. I sort of doubt that an over the counter cough syrup without acetaminophen would be SO dangerous that taking just a third of a bottle would do toxic harm because people reliably do stupid things like that (y’know, like I’m contemplating). I suppose it might make me barf.

2.2v/v is the same as 2.2%proof, isn’t it? So to get a minimally effective dose of DMX, starting at, as they say, 60mg to see how I metabolise it (I’m also around 140lb), that would be 8 x 5ml spoonfuls, 40ml. I don’t think that’s more than a single shot of spirits if the alcohol is only 2% proof. This is a terrible plan, but not a terrifying one…

Active ingredients​

Dextromethorphan

Ingredients​

I don't think the alcohol contained in a homogeneous mixture would be metabolized by your body in the same way a shot of alcohol would be. Normally, a recreational dose of DXM Hbr wouldn't contain enough food grade alcohol to do much of anything.

Active ingredients​

Dextromethorphan

Ingredients​

Ethanol is not really your problem here. The problem is with maltitol and sorbitol. Drinking intoxicating amounts of that syrup would likely result in stomach problems (pain, diarrhea).

Do you have any stevia if your really concerned about the inactive ingredients I would take a few packets on a day your home close to a toilet and down them in a glass of water. Sugar alcohol is similar and you can see if you have a massive bowel laxative effect without having to do so intoxicated robowalking to the toilet.

It sounds silly but trust me peeing or pooping yourself mid drug use is horrible.

Most people either love it or hate it. I went through a phase about 20 years ago where I would drink a bottle of Robitussin long-acting pure DXM and have some great experiences. Then it started to turn on me.

I had two really bad trips that I still occasionally have nightmares about. My 'tussin days have been over for a long time.

I went through a phase about 20 years ago where I would drink a bottle of Robitussin long-acting pure DXM and have some great experiences.
How much DXM is in such a bottle? I think in the US you have like 960mg in an extra strength bottle while here the only product contains 320mg.

Would you mind to write about your bad experiences? I love reading reports about such.

Then it started to turn on me.
On me too, after a decade of using low doses on and off and they remarkably never lost their euphoric properties but then did I start dabbling with opioids which quickly led to daily use and since then the DXM became psychotomimetic - inducing acoustic hallucinations and losing all dissociative properties. So I had to stop. I'm now off the opis for good since two years and recently tried a low dose of DXM again and it seems the magic might finally be back but my gf doesn't want me to use and as we live together I don't have much options. For me the DXM was kind of spice to make life more interesting, boring stuff exciting etc. It also boosted my metabolism like a good stimulant and let me do physical work more easily. Only real downside was insomnia for which I stupidly began to drink in my teens. But my relationship with the tussin spirits isn't over yet for sure.

How much DXM is in such a bottle? I think in the US you have like 960mg in an extra strength bottle while here the only product contains 320mg.

Would you mind to write about your bad experiences? I love reading reports about such.
254mg in a 4oz bottle. I'm not sure if they sell it that way anymore because of so many people abusing it. My two worst trips were as follows:

1) I had the house to myself and became convinced that I didn't exist. I felt like I was either an avatar living in a simulation, that I was dead, or that I had never been born. Like maybe I was a science experiment living in a test tube or something. At one point I was actually afraid to look in my room, because I expected to see my dead body lying on my bed.

2) I was over my friend's house and got stuck in a time loop where I was basically just walking back & forth from room to room, but thought that I was destined to live out those ten seconds for all of eternity. I also completely freaked them out because I was too embarrassed to tell them what I had taken. I had also drank a half pint of vodka and smoked weed, so my mind was utterly gone. It took me hours to come down.

Good times, lol. :rolleyes:

Oh I think I know both, but specially the time loop thing is indeed very frightening. Happened to me when I used more DXM than I could handle, probably above 500-600mg. But the time loop can also happen on other dissos yet usually less pronounced (dunno might be tolerance) than with DXM. This is also the only drug which is able to strip recognition of humanity from me, e.g. when looking in a mirror or at characters on TV I'd just see a fleshy mess instead of a familiar face. This quite scared me but I also found it interesting.

Never smoked weed on DXM but it's said to strongly potentiate.

Gross…not my cup of tea. Tried it once and just was a shitty dirty feeling for me. I didn’t enjoy anything about it to be honest. That’s me though. Everyone’s different.

This is also the only drug which is able to strip recognition of humanity from me, e.g. when looking in a mirror or at characters on TV I'd just see a fleshy mess instead of a familiar face.
YES! I know exactly what you mean. Faces looked utterly bizarre and inhuman on DXM. I learned never to look in the mirror.

The worst time was when I was watching a documentary about the making of the movie "Jaws". One of the people that they interviewed must have had oral cancer or something, because he was missing part of his lower jaw. I literally couldn't watch it.

Get the Robitussin Gelcaps, DXM is the only active ingredient, 20 come in a bottle and 20 of them is 300 mgs which is a good dose, when I was a teenager I used to do Triple C's which is much stronger, 20 triple C's is the same as taking 40 Robitussin Gelcaps but Triple C's has an antihistamine that seriously synergizes the DXM but can be dangerous so I don't recommend them, but they are hard to find now anyway

First time id recommend about 300 mgs for a nice trip. Use products that only have DXM in it obviously. Some people would say start with lower dosages like 100 to 200, but for me it was enough for a first plateau high, but id prefer at least a lower 2nd plateau. I mean when I used to trip on DXM, 480 to 600 mgs was my sweet spot but way too much for a first time