• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

First time doing DXM

Mcracken420

Bluelighter
So this will be my first time doing dxm and I have a few questions. I have found many inconsistent answers on random parts of the internet so I figured I'd come here to ask.
1. What brand is the best? I've got a couple just laying around like robotussin and tussin dm max
2. I know that certain ingredients in cough syrup other than DXM can be present and very dangerous. Which ingredients should I look for and avoid?
3. What dose should I use? I am experienced with psychedelics but this is my first time with a dissociative. I weigh around 140 lbs, male, and athletic if that is important.
4. What can I expect from different doses? I know that DXM is probably the most loved/hated drug depending on who you ask but especially if you have a good experience, please, share it.

I thoroughly enjoy DXM and have used it with good experiences on and off for years. Just make sure you take products that only contain dxm as the active ingredient and work your way up dose wise from around 60mgs to make sure you can metabolize It properly. Ya dont wanna end up with hundreds of mgs in your belly only to to find out you're a poor metabolize and undergo an unpleasantly intense possibly dangerous experience.

Dxm hits people very differently Depending on their genes and liver enzymes.

It's my jam tho I eat dxm for breakfast sometimes lol

i'm probably about your size and a half bottle of one of the smaller sized cough syrup with just dxm as an active ingredient always gave me a good buzz, i found half a bottle of a 4oz fits in a shot glass and it goes down easier to me than any hard alcohol. i think i am probably not as able to metabolize it as the other poster said, so a half a bottle always seemed like a lot to me. i know there are some people that can take thousands of milligrams of dxm, but for me about 150mgs or so gives me cool closed eye visuals definitely, maybe some open eyed visuals for a little bit, probably more if you are smoking weed, which i would definitely recommend. people say dxm has a dirty feeling and i think that goes away with weed, for the most part anyways.

oh yeah, like i was saying i don't think i metabolize dxm the same as everyone else, like one full 4oz bottle of tussin will make me fall asleep. i don't hear about that too often and like i said, people seem to take much much higher doses than i can and from what i read they get some crazy and interesting results...

if you want to be super safe, try 60mgs like the above posters said to make sure your body can handle it... after a week or so you will probably have lost the tolerance and a half bottle might be worth a try if you didn't mind the 60mgs... after that i guess you're good to try dosing higher and higher. some people think it's cool. dxm is definitely a drug that effects people differently.

i always used to love weed and dxm. dxm was my go to if i didn't have a lot of weed and wanted to get messed up.

i'm probably about your size and a half bottle of one of the smaller sized cough syrup with just dxm as an active ingredient always gave me a good buzz, i found half a bottle of a 4oz fits in a shot glass and it goes down easier to me than any hard alcohol. i think i am probably not as able to metabolize it as the other poster said, so a half a bottle always seemed like a lot to me. i know there are some people that can take thousands of milligrams of dxm, but for me about 150mgs or so gives me cool closed eye visuals definitely, maybe some open eyed visuals for a little bit, probably more if you are smoking weed, which i would definitely recommend. people say dxm has a dirty feeling and i think that goes away with weed, for the most part anyways.

oh yeah, like i was saying i don't think i metabolize dxm the same as everyone else, like one full 4oz bottle of tussin will make me fall asleep. i don't hear about that too often and like i said, people seem to take much much higher doses than i can and from what i read they get some crazy and interesting results...

if you want to be super safe, try 60mgs like the above posters said to make sure your body can handle it... after a week or so you will probably have lost the tolerance and a half bottle might be worth a try if you didn't mind the 60mgs... after that i guess you're good to try dosing higher and higher. some people think it's cool. dxm is definitely a drug that effects people differently.

i always used to love weed and dxm. dxm was my go to if i didn't have a lot of weed and wanted to get messed up.
Good response!

My favorite dose is between ~120-210 mg depending on how I'm feeling, the product itself, my physical health and stomach contents and my set and setting

I like the more energized, social/ interpersonal buzz of lower "tripping" doses that are still higher than recommended medical/therapeutic doses

I'm not huge into the plateau theory but my favorite doses would be considered to be "1st plat"

So this will be my first time doing dxm and I have a few questions. I have found many inconsistent answers on random parts of the internet so I figured I'd come here to ask.
1. What brand is the best? I've got a couple just laying around like robotussin and tussin dm max
2. I know that certain ingredients in cough syrup other than DXM can be present and very dangerous. Which ingredients should I look for and avoid?
3. What dose should I use? I am experienced with psychedelics but this is my first time with a dissociative. I weigh around 140 lbs, male, and athletic if that is important.
4. What can I expect from different doses? I know that DXM is probably the most loved/hated drug depending on who you ask but especially if you have a good experience, please, share it.
So I certainly can provide some insight. I'm not going to give any of the classic judgemental or suggestive recommendations, I'm going to answer your question with knowledge gained through years of experience and study into the safest usage of DXM.

First things first, you want to be sure that you get DXM. There are two different "variants" you want to be familiar with. The first is dextromethorphan HBr, which is dextromethorphan hydrobromide. DXM HBr can be considered rapid-release DXM, and is the one typically sought out. The second type is dextromethorphan polistirex, which is found in most Delsym cough syrups. This is extended-release and though less sought, I prefer it. We'll get to that though.

Starting with the more common DXM HBr.. You can find this at most places that sell OTC medicine. Don't look for brands, look at the labels. If you can find pills that contain only dextromethorphan HBr, this is obviously preferable to drinking a syrup that contains the same. Simply put, it's easier to swallow some pills than it is to drink thick gross syrup. Don't buy any pill or syrup that contains additional ingredients like guaifenesin, phenylephrine, acetaminophen, or anything else. All you want is dextromethorphan HBr. Once you've found that, you're golden. As a 140lb male, I'd suggest starting with 300mg DXM HBr. You have to understand though, effects with these types of dissociative are not linear. That considered, this is a safe does that'll give you a good feel for the experience. I'd also suggest NOT taking all 300mg at once. Your body has to metabolize this stuff, so it's okay to do it in stages.. a good plan would be taking the 300mg over an hour, with 75mg doses every 15 minutes. Doing it this way will also allow a slower onset, which is preferable in any first time experimentation.

Now, say you want to go about it a different way and want a longer trip. For this, I recommend dextromethorphan polistirex. Doing a simple cold-water extraction, you can easily take the whole bottle's worth in one shot. Now, you're looking for a little higher dose due to the extended release. I'd suggest 400mg dxm polistirex, which will be a solid 2nd plateau trip.. potentially a low 3rd plateau. Buy some Delsym or cheap equivalent that ONLY has dextromethorphan polistirex. Buy enough where you can separate enough syrup that it contains 400mg dxm polistirex. Also purchase a large gallon sized zip lock bag. When home, fill the zip lock bag with cold water and pour in your syrup with a 400mg dose of dxm polistirex. Close it, and shake that thing around to mix it evenly. Now clip or hang the bag from one of it's top corners and wait about an hour. When you return, you'll see that a bunch of orange sand looking stuff has collected at the bottom corner. Drain the water (carefully) above the sandy orangeness. That stuff is the dxm polistirex separated from the syrup. Once enough water is gone, you can mix it in come chocolate milk or dry it and put the powder in a gel-cap pill. Trust me, it's not all that complicated lol. I prefer this method, as I am removing anything in the syrup that came from the manufacturer. With only water, you get pure dxm polistirex.

In closing, either way you go.. the importance can't be stressed enough that you take a safe starting dose and that you avoid anything that isn't dxm HBr or dxm polistirex. Also, start low. There are plateaus and the effects between one and the next can be drastic. In the 2nd to 3rd plateau, it's probably good times. 1st plateau is pointless. Once you get into the 4th plateau and above, things become truly experimental and potentially dangerous. The good thing is, if you are careful on dosing, you shouldn't have any issues. Again, start low and work your way up. You don't have to punch a ticket to oblivion during your first dxm trip.

Happy and safe travels my friend.

Dextromethorphan (DXM) is a cough suppressant in over-the-counter cold and cough medicines. It affects NMDA, glutamate-1, and sigma-1 receptors in the brain, all of which have been implicated in the pathophysiology of depression. In 2022, the FDA approved a formulation of it combined with bupropion named Auvelity to serve as a rapid acting antidepressant in patients with major depressive disorder. [5] It is sold in syrup, instant release tablet, extended release tablet, spray, and lozenge forms.

It is in the morphinan class of medications with sedative, dissociative, and stimulant properties (at lower doses). Dextromethorphan does not have a significant affinity for the mu-opioid receptor activity typical of morphinan compounds and exerts its therapeutic effects through several other receptors.[6] In its pure form, dextromethorphan occurs as a white powder.[7]

Dextromethorphan is also used recreationally. When exceeding approved dosages, dextromethorphan acts as a dissociative hallucinogen. It has multiple mechanisms of action, including actions as a nonselective serotonin reuptake inhibitor[8] and a sigma-1 receptor agonist.[9][10] Dextromethorphan and its major metabolite, dextrorphan, also block the NMDA receptor at high doses, which produces effects similar to other dissociative anesthetics such as ketamine, nitrous oxide, and phencyclidine.

It was patented in 1949 and approved for medical use in 1953.[11]

Mark

So I certainly can provide some insight. I'm not going to give any of the classic judgemental or suggestive recommendations, I'm going to answer your question with knowledge gained through years of experience and study into the safest usage of DXM.

First things first, you want to be sure that you get DXM. There are two different "variants" you want to be familiar with. The first is dextromethorphan HBr, which is dextromethorphan hydrobromide. DXM HBr can be considered rapid-release DXM, and is the one typically sought out. The second type is dextromethorphan polistirex, which is found in most Delsym cough syrups. This is extended-release and though less sought, I prefer it. We'll get to that though.

Starting with the more common DXM HBr.. You can find this at most places that sell OTC medicine. Don't look for brands, look at the labels. If you can find pills that contain only dextromethorphan HBr, this is obviously preferable to drinking a syrup that contains the same. Simply put, it's easier to swallow some pills than it is to drink thick gross syrup. Don't buy any pill or syrup that contains additional ingredients like guaifenesin, phenylephrine, acetaminophen, or anything else. All you want is dextromethorphan HBr. Once you've found that, you're golden. As a 140lb male, I'd suggest starting with 300mg DXM HBr. You have to understand though, effects with these types of dissociative are not linear. That considered, this is a safe does that'll give you a good feel for the experience. I'd also suggest NOT taking all 300mg at once. Your body has to metabolize this stuff, so it's okay to do it in stages.. a good plan would be taking the 300mg over an hour, with 75mg doses every 15 minutes. Doing it this way will also allow a slower onset, which is preferable in any first time experimentation.

Now, say you want to go about it a different way and want a longer trip. For this, I recommend dextromethorphan polistirex. Doing a simple cold-water extraction, you can easily take the whole bottle's worth in one shot. Now, you're looking for a little higher dose due to the extended release. I'd suggest 400mg dxm polistirex, which will be a solid 2nd plateau trip.. potentially a low 3rd plateau. Buy some Delsym or cheap equivalent that ONLY has dextromethorphan polistirex. Buy enough where you can separate enough syrup that it contains 400mg dxm polistirex. Also purchase a large gallon sized zip lock bag. When home, fill the zip lock bag with cold water and pour in your syrup with a 400mg dose of dxm polistirex. Close it, and shake that thing around to mix it evenly. Now clip or hang the bag from one of it's top corners and wait about an hour. When you return, you'll see that a bunch of orange sand looking stuff has collected at the bottom corner. Drain the water (carefully) above the sandy orangeness. That stuff is the dxm polistirex separated from the syrup. Once enough water is gone, you can mix it in come chocolate milk or dry it and put the powder in a gel-cap pill. Trust me, it's not all that complicated lol. I prefer this method, as I am removing anything in the syrup that came from the manufacturer. With only water, you get pure dxm polistirex.

In closing, either way you go.. the importance can't be stressed enough that you take a safe starting dose and that you avoid anything that isn't dxm HBr or dxm polistirex. Also, start low. There are plateaus and the effects between one and the next can be drastic. In the 2nd to 3rd plateau, it's probably good times. 1st plateau is pointless. Once you get into the 4th plateau and above, things become truly experimental and potentially dangerous. The good thing is, if you are careful on dosing, you shouldn't have any issues. Again, start low and work your way up. You don't have to punch a ticket to oblivion during your first dxm trip.

Happy and safe travels my friend.
Thank you. This is exactly the information I was looking for and it's a shame it's so hard to find this on the internet. Especially the cold water extraction. I did end up trying a very small amount of cough syrup (about 90 mg DXM) but it contained an antihistamine. Felt weird. I'd like to try it the right way like you suggest.

With DXM sometimes less is more. Don't make the mistake I did, thinking one had to dose for one of the higher so called plateaus to get to know the true nature of the substance. As others already have said, something like 200-300mg is a good starting point. And read up on that good old DXM FAQ hosted on erowid. The first plateau can even be the most enjoyable. I absolutely loved it, enough for to get addicted at least.

Look out for a product which contains purely DXM as an active ingredient, for the lower plateaus some other ingredients like guaifenesine might be okay but there are lots of DXM only products. If possible you want gel caps or another form that is not sizzurp because gulping all that syrup can induce nausea but again that's more relevant at the higher plateaus.

Don't do DXM if you are on antidepressants.

ahh... you should've taken it with out the antihistamine to find out if it was the dxm or antihistamine that you felt was making you feel weird... dxm definitely doesn't give me that healthy feel that most psychedelics do, it feels a bit unhealthy and weird, like maybe even like i'm experiencing a medical problem. that's why i don't take it anymore. it's supposed to be relatively safe, but it doesn't feel healthy to me, so i stopped using it. i used it pretty frequently for a couple years, and then gave it up when i got a steady psychedelic connection.

for whatever reason, i still sometimes get cravings for it though.

oh yeah, i prefer the instant release over the polistyrex too. i don't know if anybody else wants to weigh in on that, but i didn't enjoy the half bottle of desylum that i had at all. i think that's the brand in my area that has polistyrex. not even weed could make the polistyrex good from my experience.

anybody else prefer dxm polistyrex? not me like i just said... figure i'd try to draw more attention to this for the original poster. i don't want to be the only one to talk him out of it. i wouldn't be surprised if eris discordia is different than most people on that choice though.

DXM is more of a trippy medicine than a psychedelic. It causes side effects which can feel unhealthy and which go away with time, just as serotonin reuptake inhibitors do. DXM is one, and tripping on it involves overdosing on the SNRI component. That's also why it's dangerous to mix it with a SSRI.

Interestingly, time released DXM, in combination with the NRI antidepressant bupropion, has been approved as an antidepressant cocktail for therapy resistant depression last year! Name's Auvelity.

Never had polistyrex but a local retard brand which was similar to instant release but with a slightly delayed onset, longer duration and overall a bit weaker. Maybe polistyrex is different. I liked that brand for daily dosing because it caused less ups and downs.

"Dextromethorphan polistirex: This type of Dextromethorphan is used in the common brand Desylum for long cough and cold relive. The polistirex around the dextromethorphan causes the high of DXM to last much longer than intended with some reports of the high lasting 18-24 hours instead of normal DXM lasting around 8-12 hours, which for some users could be very unpleasant. On top of that, you need more DXM polistirex to get the same high as regular DXM. This could lead to someone using too much DXM polistirex and overdosing to get the same effects as a moderate too high dose of normal DXM without the polistirex."

nothing i can find makes it sound too bad or anything... it just didn't sit well with me... i'm still interested in others opinions... i know there is a poster that posted a trip report of three bottles of desylum a few months ago. sounded pretty crazy, he said he was having trouble walking and what not but still seeing visuals. worth the read. i probably would try lower doses before messing around with that. i don't think dxm of either kind is for everybody.

I never liked DXM Polistirex. Had to dose more for the same effect and it just lasted way too long.

Thank you. This is exactly the information I was looking for and it's a shame it's so hard to find this on the internet. Especially the cold water extraction. I did end up trying a very small amount of cough syrup (about 90 mg DXM) but it contained an antihistamine. Felt weird. I'd like to try it the right way like you suggest.
You're very welcome. I understand the struggle. I enjoy psychedelics and the like, and know they're not always simple to find.

Safe travels

anybody else prefer dxm polistyrex? not me like i just said... figure i'd try to draw more attention to this for the original poster. i don't want to be the only one to talk him out of it. i wouldn't be surprised if eris discordia is different than most people on that choice though.
I think most people prefer DXM Hbr over DXM polistirex. I guess I prefer a longer trip, but both are pretty effective ;)