• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

First time Delsym trip question(s)

Yeah the DXM FAQ is the only place I've ever seen mention of Delsym toxicity other than increased initial side effects due to DXM being present longer than it would be with HBr.

I agree with you about the rest although some people actually have a tendency to get MORE messed up from polistirex than they do from hydrobromide. This is actually somewhat plausible to me because if something is introduced to the system that breaks the plastic open entirely later on, it could very well lead to a plateau sigma such as what happens when drinking an amount of robo and then drinking more during the trip. I almost always did a plateau sigma both for the extended duration and the ease of hitting high 3rd and 4th plateaus pretty consistently with less syrup.
Yeah, but that is likely because no one really studies the comparative toxicity of high doses of DXM HBr vs. DXM Polistirex, no one really talks about it at all outside of the drug community.

I would use a DXM calc to figure out the exact dosage I wanted to take, then figure out what I needed to buy to get that dose, and take it all at once. I always wanted to know exactly what plateau I was going to hit. I would usually buy a mix of syrup and those DXM capsules to cut down on the amount of syrup I'd have to chug, since the capsules have to dissolve in your gut I'd take the capsules 20-30min before the syrup so they hit at the same time. Never failed to land me on the exact plateau I intended.

Yeah, but that is likely because no one really studies the comparative toxicity of high doses of DXM HBr vs. DXM Polistirex, no one really talks about it at all outside of the drug community.

I would use a DXM calc to figure out the exact dosage I wanted to take, then figure out what I needed to buy to get that dose, and take it all at once. I always wanted to know exactly what plateau I was going to hit. I would usually buy a mix of syrup and those DXM capsules to cut down on the amount of syrup I'd have to chug, since the capsules have to dissolve in your gut I'd take the capsules 20-30min before the syrup so they hit at the same time. Never failed to land me on the exact plateau I intended.

I agree with you on no studies about high dose polistirex - even the MSDS I found was the same as HBr. I can tell you that subjectively since I take it daily in low doses (5-10mL every 12 hours), I find polistirex to be "cleaner" than syrup at the same dose but that's not saying much.

I never did the calculating thing, not even my first time lol. Whatever I had on hand, that was the experience I was going to have - I only ever had two "bad" DXM experiences and that was because of the wrong setting. I robo tripped well over a hundred times before I hit that magical wall where all of a sudden you get no positive effects from it.

I hated the gelcaps though. Completely different trip. There was always a subjective difference depending on what formulation I used. My favorite to trip on was actually Robitussin DM (I didn't mind the guaifenisin, it never really affected me much) followed by Robo Max. I did the gels twice and both times it was a very disappointing trip, never had capsules, never had powder, never touched Corricidin.

I agree with you on no studies about high dose polistirex - even the MSDS I found was the same as HBr. I can tell you that subjectively since I take it daily in low doses (5-10mL every 12 hours), I find polistirex to be "cleaner" than syrup at the same dose but that's not saying much.

I never did the calculating thing, not even my first time lol. Whatever I had on hand, that was the experience I was going to have - I only ever had two "bad" DXM experiences and that was because of the wrong setting. I robo tripped well over a hundred times before I hit that magical wall where all of a sudden you get no positive effects from it.

I hated the gelcaps though. Completely different trip. There was always a subjective difference depending on what formulation I used. My favorite to trip on was actually Robitussin DM (I didn't mind the guaifenisin, it never really affected me much) followed by Robo Max. I did the gels twice and both times it was a very disappointing trip, never had capsules, never had powder, never touched Corricidin.
I'm the kind of person that carefully doses everything I do, whether it's DXM, beer, adderrall, or 2C-B... only thing I go by feel with is weed. Hmm, very interesting, I found the combination of gelcaps and syrup to be roughly the same as syrup(both CVS brand)... only time I took anything other than CVS brand or Robitussin was a time I took some Vicks 44(DXM syrup, no guaf or anything) along with the CVS brand stuff and it was the same as other 4th plateau trips to me.

Okay, just realized something. He took 20 mg adderall IR at aprox 11:30 AM, and after researching it there's this thing called serotonin syndrome that sounds really fucking nasty. He doesn't want that at all. Would there be a significant chance of serious/permanent negative effects taking the Delsym approx 10 hrs later? Permanent damage and hospital trips scare him, he's a smart guy and can't afford permanent brain damage at this point in his life, and a hospital trip would just fuck up his life. and death, of course, is unacceptable. If he does do it, he's going to do the gatorade mix that Magickat suggested. Thanks again.

Last edited:
There is a very real problem with that combination - serotonin syndrome is a rare complication but they are both metabolized by CYP2D6 which means potentially higher plasma levels of both drugs. I would take it on a day where you haven't taken any Adderall for at least 24 hours to be on the safe side. The half-life is something like 10 hours for Adderall which means it could likely slow the metabolism of the Delsym which would not be pleasant.

That being said, people combine amphetamines with DXM all the time without any serious issues with the exception of methylenedioxy amphetamines such as MDMA, MDA, and other strong serotonin releasers. I can attest to how little DXM and MDMA it takes to bring on the onset of serotonin syndrome though as one night I ran out of pills and as I was coming down, I drank roughly 200mg worth of DXM cough syrup... About 30 minutes later I was starting to feel really hot, I was getting fucked up really fast, couldn't talk, etc., but luckily it wore off within an hour and I didn't have to go to the hospital. I avoid any dose of amphetamines or cathinones with any dose of DXM after that...

Last edited:
Would ten hours be risking anything dangerous or would it be possibly unpleasant but harmless side effects? would ok to down the Delsym in gatorade or is it dangerous to do so and just shelf it? The reason he's so antsy to get it done is he isn't going to have another opportunity to do this for a good while and he hasn't gotten messed up in a long while, wants to just chill and listen to music in a dark room like you said.

Okay, just realized something. He took 20 mg adderall IR at aprox 11:30 AM, and after researching it there's this thing called serotonin syndrome that sounds really fucking nasty. He doesn't want that at all. Would there be a significant chance of serious/permanent negative effects taking the Delsym approx 10 hrs later? Permanent damage and hospital trips scare him, he's a smart guy and can't afford permanent brain damage at this point in his life, and a hospital trip would just fuck up his life. and death, of course, is unacceptable. If he does do it, he's going to do the gatorade mix that Magickat suggested. Thanks again.
I am prescribed Vyvanse, I always skipped my daily dosage if I took DXM. It's absolutely not worth the risk.

And why did you revert back to 3rd person? You already used 'I" and "me" in a couple posts... the "my friend" thing is unnecessary and ineffective.

Would ten hours be risking anything dangerous or would it be possibly unpleasant but harmless side effects? would ok to down the Delsym in gatorade or is it dangerous to do so and just shelf it? The reason he's so antsy to get it done is he isn't going to have another opportunity to do this for a good while and he hasn't gotten messed up in a long while, wants to just chill and listen to music in a dark room like you said.
Out of curiosity, what is preventing you from doing it other times?

Very busy schedule for the next couple of weeks, plus exams will be coming up even after the other stuff calms down. Would probably have to wait a while to take it so as to not fuck up my school stuff. at a point right now where there are no new exams for a good 3+ weeks so there should be plenty of time to recover from any aftereffects of a moderate dose.

Very busy schedule for the next couple of weeks, plus exams will be coming up even after the other stuff calms down. Would probably have to wait a while to take it so as to not fuck up my school stuff. at a point right now where there are no new exams for a good 3+ weeks so there should be plenty of time to recover from any aftereffects of a moderate dose.
When I started doing DXM I had been neglecting my schoolwork, but I can say the afterglow never lasted longer than a day or two, after that I was back to normal.

Also, now that I look back at my notes I did take a couple 2nd plateau doses within 12 hours of having taken 20mg Adderrall IR and felt no ill effects from it... but I still wouldn't endorse the idea or do it again.

Well, I'm contemplating it now. On one hand, the risk from the adderall taken 10+ hrs earlier seems to be minimal, and could only cause negative side effects, not permanent damage or death, if I'm interpreting this correctly. On the other hand, there's always the very slim chance I'm the one in a million that it does fuck up, or that it's super potent and I'm tripping out tomorrow. In any case, I'm gonna throw in a dip and think about this for the next couple of hours. Speaking of which, does nicotine have any negative reactions with DXM?

Well, I'm contemplating it now. On one hand, the risk from the adderall taken 10+ hrs earlier seems to be minimal, and could only cause negative side effects, not permanent damage or death, if I'm interpreting this correctly. On the other hand, there's always the very slim chance I'm the one in a million that it does fuck up, or that it's super potent and I'm tripping out tomorrow. In any case, I'm gonna throw in a dip and think about this for the next couple of hours. Speaking of which, does nicotine have any negative reactions with DXM?

Honestly, in the name of harm reduction, its not recommended but I've not really heard of such a low dose of adderall causing a problem and I know people who regularly smoke meth with DXM and they're lunatics but they're fine.

You'll find that you don't get much from cigarettes on DXM. Smoking a cigarette can bump up the trip a little bit but not as much as other drugs. It blocks a lot of the same receptors as Chantix does - I actually stopped smoking cold turkey on the 14th of September after being on 10mL twice a day of Delsym for just a week. Just didn't want them anymore. Haven't wanted them since.

Well, decided to take it, but it's been 3 hours since I did and I'm not really feeling anything. it's kinda ridiculous, I coulda taken it way earlier and I still wouldn't have undershot it at all. Right now I'm wondering if it's even gonna kick in, I wanna just get on with it or have nothing happen. Falling asleep and then waking up tripping balls would suck.

Yeah, I'm thinking this was a waste of time and energy. It's approaching four hours and I'm still not feeling anything. However, I had a similar experience with vicodin once, where I didn't think anything was gonna happen and then it hit me all at once like a ton, so I'll hold out hope a bit longer.

Just got up to use the bathroom and I felt a headbuzz-type feeling that I think was real, but may have been placedbo. However, it's only really noticable when I stand up and walk around so I hope tha

Are you listening to music? Bangin music was required for me to start tripping every single time I did it. No music, no trip. I would get the messed up head space and some loss of coordination but once I kicked the music into gear, the trip started. Even better in a dark room with your eyes closed. I thought it was just me but maybe not?

was listening to hip hop and pink floyd a little bit ago, think I might be feeling a bit more heavy headbuzz, and I just realized I was thinking it was 3:00 AM instead of one. Also, I was looking at picture of david bowie where it looked like one of his temples had a vein in the shape of two, and tupac's face looked kinda off on the all eyez on me cover. Maybe it's just placebo or maybe not, reminding me a bit of my benedryl trips. what music would you recommend?

I also just closed my laptop and closed my eyes while listening to disreali gears and saw these rainbow colored faint squigly lines everywhere and got a weird body load. Is that similar to your experience?

Yeah, that weird body load can make you feel like you're flying, floating, twisting, turning, all kinds of things. It is one of the coolest aspects of the trip when it really gets involved with the visuals. It sounds like you're on the edge of something but time will tell if it goes anywhere else.

I'm starting to suspect that CYP2D6 is tied up a bit by the Adderall which is delaying things even more.

it's strange, I'm at the point where I feel like I'm kinda drunk or something, last time I went to get up to use bathroom my balance was a bit off and I stumbled a bit.

Yeah, that's the starting line. Its an interesting headspace to be in. I would be extremely surprised if you don't hit the 2nd plateau though considering that you took over 500mg of material, polistirex or not.

Speaking of which, my order of 5 ounce bottles of Delsym just came in today. The box is sitting right next to me - if I didn't know it would be totally pointless to try (I did way too much DXM, I have a permanent tolerance to its psychoactive effects now), I would drink a bit myself. You're starting to make me nostalgic haha.