• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

First time and using drugs to improve myself in my music

Nowell

Greenlighter
It started when I was around 15. I had been playing guitar for about 3 years and was really discovering myself and how I wanted to play the instrument. In this I had always thought about drug use and the effects it would have on my playing. From most of what I heard if you wanted to be successful you basically had to be doing some type of drug. It may sound childish but my mind was in the "oh well Jimi Hendrix did LSD and look at him". So basically my cousin had been into weed for some time so I called him and was like lets hang out I'll smoke with you. So I go over there and smoke 6 bowls with him. I feel absolutely nothing. I go home pick up my guitar and I'm like what? nothing changed I'm playing the exact same I'm not getting any epiphany making me a guitar god. So over the course of about a month I visit his house and continue smoking. After about my third time I GET HIGH AS ALL FUCK. I literally can't operate. I stand up and go to the bathroom. I'm in there for what feels like an hour, I had only been in there about a minute or two. So I make my way to the back of the house to where we were smoking and I can't even open the door. All I'm seeing is me reaching for the door over and over again. Eventually after what feels like a year I open the door and sit back down. I sit for about 20 minutes so the high lessens a bit so I can operate. I tell my cousin I'm gonna head home. As before I pick up my guitar and NOTHING. I'm playing exactly the same I mean it sounds better but that's because I'm high as fuck. So after that I stopped smoking weed it didn't help me in what I wanted so why continue? Then about 5 months later I start hearing about shrooms and acid. So again I'm like well this might help me in some way. So I get 2 tabs of acid, guy told me I need about 5 to get fucked up. Him not realizing I'm not trying to get fucked up I just leave. So I get home take them and wait. Not like I thought it would be. So pick up my guitar and start playing, IT SOUNDS AMAZING like a god has graced my hands so in my happiness I record it. So I play for awhile and stop. So after this I lie down and after a 10 hour "nap". I watch the video. It just sounds like how I normally play. So I basically I had given up on that. I go through my last years of high school still looking for something to improve myself beyond what I could. My senior year I start talking to my band mates and I find out my drummer is on heroin and so is my bassist. They tell me it's the only reason they are as good as they are and I'm not gonna lie we sounded decent but a lot of people liked us. So basically after all this time I finally hear about heroin the thing I've been looking for all along apparently. Thing is I already know about heroin it's how I lost my mother and my father. So I'm really afraid to try it but hey I'm almost in college about to start playing music professionally and learning so much more so why not make my self even better? It's been about a month and I still want to try it but I'm afraid. Thoughts on what I should do?

Yeah, while opiates certainly can push you to play "in the zone", using them for this purpose is not a viable long term solution. Relying on opiates to play better entails using them regularly and this will spill over to other parts of your life and make it so that you aren't confident to play without them. What is really important to being a great player is practice and developing the chops to get on stage and give a good performance even if you're not totally feeling it.

they might make you feel better but not necessarily sound better. Maybe at first because you are more in the zone and focused they might help, but the detrimental side effects of all drugs are inescapable. Eventually they will catch up or you will probably lose control long before then and then it's all down hill

You don't have to do drugs to be a good musician, some of the best never even drank before.

Drugs aren't going to make you better. Quit being lazy and practice.

they might help in the short term but long term they will slow you down and hinder your creativity. Needing to be high to be creative is very limiting.