• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Help! First really scary trip landed me in the hospital - what could I have done differently?

buuuurps

Bluelighter
I am writing this after my first bad (and, indeed, truly horrible) experience with psychedelics, in hopes that some of you might be able to help me make sense of what has happened to me yesterday.

Some context first: I am male, 35 years old, weigh around 92kgs at 197cm of height, and am in perfectly good health physically. I do suffer from mild, but persistent depression, which episodically leads to periods of substance abuse, mainly amphetamine and alcohol, though for the past several weeks prior to the trip, I had not been taking any stimulants, had only been drinking occasionally and in moderation, and while I did feel the all-too-familiar grey cloud hanging over my head somewhat, I was far from heavily depressed. Given that my interest in psychedelics is mostly due to their therapeutic potential for treating depression and addiction, the timing seemed pretty much ideal: I was feeling bad enough for this type of intervention to make sense, but good enough to feel like I had the inner fortitude to take on the psychedelic experience, for which I have a healthy dose of respect and then some. On this particularly day, the weather was lovely, I had been on a beautiful hike through nature, and I took the mushrooms sitting in a comfy chair on the balcony of a holiday house that I come to frequently, overlooking gorgeous natural scenery and listening to the John Hopkins psilocybin trial playlist. I also had my wife, who is a psychologist, around to help me through any potentially challenging parts of the trip. All of this to say, my mindset was overall good, and the setting was quite literally perfect.

I should also add that I have so far had a bunch of minor LSD and mushroom trips, as well as one moderate mushroom trips (2.5 grams), one moderate-to-intense LSD trip (about 250 microgram), and one fairly intense, though not quite heroic mushroom trip (4 grams after several days of fasting), all of which were either pleasant or – sometimes, in part, - strange or challenging, but never horrible, and the more intense of those experiences did indeed have a markedly positive impact on my issues with depression and addiction, though unfortunately, this effect subsided after a couple of months. To date, however, I have not had a full-blown mystical experience, and I was hoping to get there this time around, as the research suggests that the most intense and meaningful trips also have the greatest therapeutic benefit. Finally, I should add that I have read “How to change your mind” by Michael Pollan, I have listened to probably dozens of podcasts with leading scientists and psychedelic explorers, and I am very much aware of the importance of surrendering to the experience, encountering everything with an open heart and mind, etc. Also, aside from my issues with depression, I do consider myself quite mentally study, I have never had any issues with anxiety, and I couldn’t even conceive of how people get panic attacks.

So, with all of this out the way, I ingested 5.5 grams of mushrooms at 3pm. The come-up was not particularly pleasant, but I managed to relax through the first 30-40 minutes of it. However, the unpleasantness only increased: I felt a pretty heavy bodyload and sense of physical exertion, and the sun, which was actually at a perfectly pleasant, mildly warm temperature, felt like it stung or burned me, so I went inside and lay on the cool carpet for about 5 minutes, after which I became nauseous and had to run to the toilet to throw up. I still told myself that this was all normal – I had never personally become nauseous from shrooms before, but I knew that other people did, so I just figured this time around my stomach was more sensitive. After that, I lay down in bed, where the sense of physical unpleasantness and exertion only rose further: I was literally panting, groaning, involuntarily grimacing and throwing myself around in the sheets, and all the closed eye visuals I was getting were of rotten and disfigured body parts that clustered together to create grotesque monstrosities like out of a David Fincher movie. Even at this point, I was still keeping my cool (like I said, I don’t panic easily), trying to meet these horrible creatures that my mind’s eye was throwing at me with an open heart and wondering if perhaps the trip was trying to tell me that I had some physical ill that was as yet undiscovered and needed medical attention. However, the body load just kept getting heavier and heavier, and even my wife’s holding my hand and talking to me gently didn’t help much, because the problem was less in my mind (as in: scary thoughts) and more in my body (or at least so it felt to me). Also, the strong (and strongly unpleasant) physical aspect of all this kept me from tripping as hard I otherwise would have. I was tripping, to be sure, but I wasn’t experiencing any sense of ego dissolution or oneness of space and time or any of the other high-dose phenomena, that I had at least approached on the 4 gram trip, and that 5.5 grams should by all means have engendered, because this pronounced physical unwellness kept me at least halfway tied to reality.

Eventually, it all got too much, I dropped 20mg of valium, stumbled into the bathroom, splashed water in my face, lay down on the ground, and, now shivering with cold and feeling even worse still, the thought finally hit me: Fuck. The mushrooms aren’t trying to tell me that there is some other, undiscovered, long-term problem with my body. The mushrooms ARE the problem. Mushrooms can be deadly if you get the wrong type. These sensations I am feeling are no tactile or physical hallucinations, but real signs of acute poisoning. Ok, the mushrooms I ate were from the same order as those I had some months before on the 4-gram-trip, but they came sealed in two separate bags, so maybe the bag I had back then was fine and the one I had this time around was bad somehow. Who knows how bad? I could be in the process of dying. I could literally be in the process of fucking dying from these mushrooms, and while my wife assured me that I wasn’t going to, I had enough of my rational mind left to realize that the thought wasn’t completely absurd – after all, poisonous mushrooms really do exist, and people really do die from them. Also, my physical unwellness (the unbearableness heat of the sun, the unbearable cold of the carpet, the vomiting, the sense of extreme exertion, the geometry involving all manner of body horror) were far more intense than any physical hallucinations I had ever heard of, and these could NOT be explained away as the signs of a panic attack, because the panic attack was only starting now, AFTER I had gone through all this bodily unpleasantness for about 90 minutes or so. I think you can see how the possibility that you might have lethally poisoned yourself would be really fucking scary even if you weren’t tripping on top of it – mix the two, and you get real existential terror. At this point, we called the paramedics, and I was rushed to the hospital. On the way there and during my first hour in the hospital, I was drifting in and out of consciousness; alternately fearing that I was going to die and wishing to see my wife (who couldn’t come with me due to covid restrictions) one last time and drifting off into some non-aware state. I got a saline infusion and they took some blood and urine samples, and after 2-3 hours, and many insurances that nothing about my state suggested lethal danger, I felt the terror slowly fade and my mind resume normal functioning again, and I broke into a crying fit after realizing that I would survive. An hour later, the lab results came in, I showed no signs of poisoning whatsoever, and felt pretty fucking stupid.

So, what do you guys make of all this? I don’t think this was what is classically called a bad trip, because I wasn’t tripping super hard, and I wasn’t getting caught up in negative thought loops per se. Rather, I felt largely the same kind of fear that any sober, non-tripping person would also feel when faced with strong physical unpleasantness that might conceivable stem from an acute poisoning. Finally, I don’t think “panic attack” alone fully explains it either – I did eventually have a panic attack to be sure, but again, this was only after 90 minutes of increasing physical comfort, through most of which I had remained calm and tried to relax in all the ways usually recommended. And yet, I show no signs of poisoning. Could it be the case that, while there was no actual poison In the shrooms, the high dose of psylocibin somehow threw my nervous system badly out of whack, mimicking the effects of a poisoning, which then eventually caused me to incorrectly assume I really was poisoned and panick? I have no idea if any of that makes sense, but I’d love to hear your thoughts so I can hopefully integrate this experience in a way that I can grow from, or at least not be permanently diminished by, going forward.

Mushrooms are one of the heaviest body load psychedelics on the planet what you experinced was normal but your lack of experince combined with a massive overdose and reckless use of them made them show you a lesson which is called been humbled by their utter power. Heroic doses are not for new comers to psychedelics especially mushrooms which are the most dark and ruthless of psychedelics at high doses. You had a negative thought that spiraled out of control im glad your okay and had your wife there.

I can see some of the mistakes made.

#1 you made expectations about the trip and the mushrooms and went it failed to live up to them and gave you a different experience you convinced yourself they were the wrong mushrooms. Ego dissolution is rare experience that does not rely on doses or anything.

#2 heroic dosing is a bad term that has infected psychedelic community since mckennas days yet mckenna no longer took mushrooms because he was a coward and selling false hope and stories and got alot of people into bad trips trying to copy him. nothing heroic in been stupid and getting harmed mentally for it.

#3 mushrooms are best done in low doses i have learnt this many times i have pushed them to limits way beyond the 5 grams my strongest mushroom trip i ever did was equilvent of taking 13 dried grams of cubensis. Also remebering you cant not die from them would of stopped this and realizing they were not the wrong ones.

One of the main effects of shrooms is to cause intense body high and load infact id say most of the shroom trip is felt through the body. If you do not like this body load stick to LSD which is superior in every way as a psychedelic imo and kinder to new comers or keep your doses low.

also i never known any one to acutally have been cured of their depression from psychedelics its a false dream sadly it can help you in the short term for little while but it always pulls you back in. Micheal pollan is harming this psychedelic scene with his utter naivety and lack of experience if more people are unprepared take psychedelics from reading a book then its going to be alot of people getting harmed and thats on him.

I don't listen of these so called people in the field anymore because they are full of shit i have been through the heaviest of doses on LSD DMT shrooms and i have been through hellish trips but never once did i ever go to hospital.

Psychedelic dosages are a curve response escalating in effects very fast.

Thank you for your kind and helpful reply, @TripSitterNZ !

A couple of points that came to mind for me: Your pointing out the lesser body load of LSD is really extremely valuable information for me. So far, I had thought of body load as a minor nuisance, but not really a significant factor when chosing between various psychdelics, but after yesterday's experience, I will pay much more attention of this, when (if) I should feel ready to try another psychedelic again.

Another takeaway for me is that from now on, I will get any drug lab-tested before ingesting it. Sure, there was no objective reason to assume that the shrooms were poisonous, and I did get them from what seemed to be a reliable source, but even so, if they had been lab-tested beforehand, and I 100%, without any possibility of doubt, knew for a fact that they could not possibly be poisonous, then the experience, while still very unpleasant, probably would not have sent me into the complete panic that eventually overcame me.

I am not sure why you would call 5.5 grams a massive overdose, though. It is a high dose to be sure, but I tolerated my last trip with 4 grams (from the same delivery) pretty well, and while 1.5 additional grams is a sizeable increase, it didn't seem completely crazy to me. Also, so far, my understanding was that higher doses do carry a higher likelihood (though, of course, never a guarantee) of a full-blown mystical experience, but perhaps I was wrong about that?

Finally, as far as expectations go, I know you should try to go into the trip free of them, but then again, if you try to use psychedelics therapeutically, how could you not have at least a background-level of expectation toward that end? In any case, though, I wasn't totally fixated on having a mystical experience at all, and I would have been content with any pleasant or even partly-challenging experience, just not with the complete shitshow that ensued.

Last edited:
Body loads on drugs can range from mild to painful paralysis (using colorful words)

LSD is my favorite psychedelic for several reasons but a big one is it has very very low body load compared to other psychedelics. I usually feel light and energized on LSD, but everyone is different.

Also it should be noted that LSD leads to significantly more hospitalizations than shrooms which should be noted. This is likely due to people thinking LSD is more dangerous because it's synthetic, but this is foolish. LSD is stronger and more reality bending in a few ways compared to shrooms, also lasts a lot longer.

For me LSD allllll day over shrooms.

For me shrooms are more of a non-recreational. Spirit work is not fun sometimes. LSD is ALWAYS fun. Way more recreational value.

Namaste

@buuuurps let me correct myself. Shrooms are certainly recreational however what makes them potentially dangerous is that you can't hide from your own thoughts or emotions on shrooms.

If you are not in the best place in life, are prone to negative or thought loops, shrooms are asking for a difficult trip.

On LSD I can just ignore life and focus on having a good trip.

From a quick scan of your post, I'd say you took mushrooms, and people always underestimate how miserable they can make you feel. I personally avoid them in favor of kinder psychedelics. Haven't had any in years now, even 4-aco-dmt is unfavorable to me and it's certainly less harsh.

I'll point out your first and most major mistake:
I ingested 5.5 grams of mushrooms
And then I'm honestly surprised this didn't do the trick:
Eventually, it all got too much, I dropped 20mg of valium, stumbled into the bathroom, splashed water in my face, lay down on the ground
I don't know if you're benzo tolerant but 10mg of diazepam brought me down from a panic attack on 750ug AL-LAD once when I thought my wife had been sucked up by a tornado for some reason.

In the future if I were you I'd just avoid mushrooms. Like I said, not a fan here. For some they're very healing, for others the bodyload is too much. I'm much more a proponent of LSD and its analogues for healing purposes; however, everyone is different and I've seen single doses give people full breakdowns.

I wouldn't linger on this experience too long. Get the hospital bills paid and forget about it. The mushrooms were just being dicks, there might a be a reason they're phallic in shape.

im with these guys....ya know it's funny that people i talk to mostly say they like mushrooms better than LSD and im like the only one who says LSD is better - like way better in my opinion....so it's refreshing to read others feeling the same here

5.5 grams is a real lot....ive always found the sweet spot to be between 1.5 and 2 grams for me....but ive only ever done cubensis so that's all i can speak of...anything beyond that amount, was always a rough time for me

im with these guys....ya know it's funny that people i talk to mostly say they like mushrooms better than LSD and im like the only one who says LSD is better - like way better in my opinion....so it's refreshing to read others feeling the same here
Mushrooms were my first love but dropped that hoe when I found LSD 😂

I will say that music sounds 10000% more trippy on shrooms vs LSD and it bums me out sometimes

LSD is king on the mountain

I am writing this after my first bad (and, indeed, truly horrible) experience with psychedelics, in hopes that some of you might be able to help me make sense of what has happened to me yesterday.

Some context first: I am male, 35 years old, weigh around 92kgs at 197cm of height, and am in perfectly good health physically. I do suffer from mild, but persistent depression, which episodically leads to periods of substance abuse, mainly amphetamine and alcohol, though for the past several weeks prior to the trip, I had not been taking any stimulants, had only been drinking occasionally and in moderation, and while I did feel the all-too-familiar grey cloud hanging over my head somewhat, I was far from heavily depressed. Given that my interest in psychedelics is mostly due to their therapeutic potential for treating depression and addiction, the timing seemed pretty much ideal: I was feeling bad enough for this type of intervention to make sense, but good enough to feel like I had the inner fortitude to take on the psychedelic experience, for which I have a healthy dose of respect and then some. On this particularly day, the weather was lovely, I had been on a beautiful hike through nature, and I took the mushrooms sitting in a comfy chair on the balcony of a holiday house that I come to frequently, overlooking gorgeous natural scenery and listening to the John Hopkins psilocybin trial playlist. I also had my wife, who is a psychologist, around to help me through any potentially challenging parts of the trip. All of this to say, my mindset was overall good, and the setting was quite literally perfect.

I should also add that I have so far had a bunch of minor LSD and mushroom trips, as well as one moderate mushroom trips (2.5 grams), one moderate-to-intense LSD trip (about 250 microgram), and one fairly intense, though not quite heroic mushroom trip (4 grams after several days of fasting), all of which were either pleasant or – sometimes, in part, - strange or challenging, but never horrible, and the more intense of those experiences did indeed have a markedly positive impact on my issues with depression and addiction, though unfortunately, this effect subsided after a couple of months. To date, however, I have not had a full-blown mystical experience, and I was hoping to get there this time around, as the research suggests that the most intense and meaningful trips also have the greatest therapeutic benefit. Finally, I should add that I have read “How to change your mind” by Michael Pollan, I have listened to probably dozens of podcasts with leading scientists and psychedelic explorers, and I am very much aware of the importance of surrendering to the experience, encountering everything with an open heart and mind, etc. Also, aside from my issues with depression, I do consider myself quite mentally study, I have never had any issues with anxiety, and I couldn’t even conceive of how people get panic attacks.

So, with all of this out the way, I ingested 5.5 grams of mushrooms at 3pm. The come-up was not particularly pleasant, but I managed to relax through the first 30-40 minutes of it. However, the unpleasantness only increased: I felt a pretty heavy bodyload and sense of physical exertion, and the sun, which was actually at a perfectly pleasant, mildly warm temperature, felt like it stung or burned me, so I went inside and lay on the cool carpet for about 5 minutes, after which I became nauseous and had to run to the toilet to throw up. I still told myself that this was all normal – I had never personally become nauseous from shrooms before, but I knew that other people did, so I just figured this time around my stomach was more sensitive. After that, I lay down in bed, where the sense of physical unpleasantness and exertion only rose further: I was literally panting, groaning, involuntarily grimacing and throwing myself around in the sheets, and all the closed eye visuals I was getting were of rotten and disfigured body parts that clustered together to create grotesque monstrosities like out of a David Fincher movie. Even at this point, I was still keeping my cool (like I said, I don’t panic easily), trying to meet these horrible creatures that my mind’s eye was throwing at me with an open heart and wondering if perhaps the trip was trying to tell me that I had some physical ill that was as yet undiscovered and needed medical attention. However, the body load just kept getting heavier and heavier, and even my wife’s holding my hand and talking to me gently didn’t help much, because the problem was less in my mind (as in: scary thoughts) and more in my body (or at least so it felt to me). Also, the strong (and strongly unpleasant) physical aspect of all this kept me from tripping as hard I otherwise would have. I was tripping, to be sure, but I wasn’t experiencing any sense of ego dissolution or oneness of space and time or any of the other high-dose phenomena, that I had at least approached on the 4 gram trip, and that 5.5 grams should by all means have engendered, because this pronounced physical unwellness kept me at least halfway tied to reality.

Eventually, it all got too much, I dropped 20mg of valium, stumbled into the bathroom, splashed water in my face, lay down on the ground, and, now shivering with cold and feeling even worse still, the thought finally hit me: Fuck. The mushrooms aren’t trying to tell me that there is some other, undiscovered, long-term problem with my body. The mushrooms ARE the problem. Mushrooms can be deadly if you get the wrong type. These sensations I am feeling are no tactile or physical hallucinations, but real signs of acute poisoning. Ok, the mushrooms I ate were from the same order as those I had some months before on the 4-gram-trip, but they came sealed in two separate bags, so maybe the bag I had back then was fine and the one I had this time around was bad somehow. Who knows how bad? I could be in the process of dying. I could literally be in the process of fucking dying from these mushrooms, and while my wife assured me that I wasn’t going to, I had enough of my rational mind left to realize that the thought wasn’t completely absurd – after all, poisonous mushrooms really do exist, and people really do die from them. Also, my physical unwellness (the unbearableness heat of the sun, the unbearable cold of the carpet, the vomiting, the sense of extreme exertion, the geometry involving all manner of body horror) were far more intense than any physical hallucinations I had ever heard of, and these could NOT be explained away as the signs of a panic attack, because the panic attack was only starting now, AFTER I had gone through all this bodily unpleasantness for about 90 minutes or so. I think you can see how the possibility that you might have lethally poisoned yourself would be really fucking scary even if you weren’t tripping on top of it – mix the two, and you get real existential terror. At this point, we called the paramedics, and I was rushed to the hospital. On the way there and during my first hour in the hospital, I was drifting in and out of consciousness; alternately fearing that I was going to die and wishing to see my wife (who couldn’t come with me due to covid restrictions) one last time and drifting off into some non-aware state. I got a saline infusion and they took some blood and urine samples, and after 2-3 hours, and many insurances that nothing about my state suggested lethal danger, I felt the terror slowly fade and my mind resume normal functioning again, and I broke into a crying fit after realizing that I would survive. An hour later, the lab results came in, I showed no signs of poisoning whatsoever, and felt pretty fucking stupid.

So, what do you guys make of all this? I don’t think this was what is classically called a bad trip, because I wasn’t tripping super hard, and I wasn’t getting caught up in negative thought loops per se. Rather, I felt largely the same kind of fear that any sober, non-tripping person would also feel when faced with strong physical unpleasantness that might conceivable stem from an acute poisoning. Finally, I don’t think “panic attack” alone fully explains it either – I did eventually have a panic attack to be sure, but again, this was only after 90 minutes of increasing physical comfort, through most of which I had remained calm and tried to relax in all the ways usually recommended. And yet, I show no signs of poisoning. Could it be the case that, while there was no actual poison In the shrooms, the high dose of psylocibin somehow threw my nervous system badly out of whack, mimicking the effects of a poisoning, which then eventually caused me to incorrectly assume I really was poisoned and panick? I have no idea if any of that makes sense, but I’d love to hear your thoughts so I can hopefully integrate this experience in a way that I can grow from, or at least not be permanently diminished by, going forward.
Don't use Shrooms, they are prone to bad trip's like 2c-... are prone to unpleasant trips. Excluding the 2-CT-... serie which was decent.

Might you be ready for a next journey, ime Lysergic's and some Tryptamine's like 4-HO-MIPT are way more easy going.

This is likely due to people thinking LSD is more dangerous because it's synthetic, but this is foolish.
Semi-synthetic actually, derived from ergot fungus. The whole 'natural' vs 'man-made' is just semantics anyways, it has no actual implications on whether or not a drug is 'good' or 'bad'. Not directing this at you specifically Snafu, rather the people who think that 'natural' means 'safe'.

If God tickled Hoffman's brain and inclined him to dose up with LSD-25, I think that's natural. Man is natural, he is a product of his environment. Ergo, things we create are also natural. Now I'll admit that fully synthetic drugs (i.e. buprenorphine, fentanyl) have weird side-effects and are definitely shittier versions of their natural counterparts, but many a drug that are fully synthetic are fine and natural and healthy. Benzodiazepines come to mind, complete creations of man, with HUGE safety indexes. You practically have to want to die to OD on benzos (i.e. admixing other downers).

Nature is better sometimes, but what about say, datura/brugmansia/henbane/etc.? Completely natural and will land you in the hospital/psych ward for days on end almost without fail. Very toxic, very hallucinogenic in the strictest sense of the word, and definitely natural.

Shrooms are certainly recreational however what makes them potentially dangerous is that you can't hide from your own thoughts or emotions on shrooms.
Also this^

I always tell people, "LSD makes you look deeper outwards, mushrooms make you look deeper within'. You may not like what you see inside, or you may not like what's outside." For me, I enjoy seeing the outside world in finer detail. Going deep into my soul on mushies is misery most days though, I have to be in the most perfect possible set/setting.

Semi-synthetic actually, derived from ergot fungus. The whole 'natural' vs 'man-made' is just semantics anyways, it has no actual implications on whether or not a drug is 'good' or 'bad'. Not directing this at you specifically Snafu, rather the people who think that 'natural' means 'safe'.

If God tickled Hoffman's brain and inclined him to dose up with LSD-25, I think that's natural. Man is natural, he is a product of his environment. Ergo, things we create are also natural. Now I'll admit that fully synthetic drugs (i.e. buprenorphine, fentanyl) have weird side-effects and are definitely shittier versions of their natural counterparts, but many a drug that are fully synthetic are fine and natural and healthy. Benzodiazepines come to mind, complete creations of man, with HUGE safety indexes. You practically have to want to die to OD on benzos (i.e. admixing other downers).

Nature is better sometimes, but what about say, datura/brugmansia/henbane/etc.? Completely natural and will land you in the hospital/psych ward for days on end almost without fail. Very toxic, very hallucinogenic in the strictest sense of the word, and definitely natural.
exactly

I found it so weird when I'd offer acid to people and they would go "hell no! It damages your chromosomes! I'd do shrooms, though".... like really??

a bit naive IMO

If you are not in the best place in life, are prone to negative or thought loops, shrooms are asking for a difficult trip.

For me shrooms are more of a non-recreational. Spirit work is not fun sometimes. LSD is ALWAYS fun. Way more recreational value.

Namaste

I mostly agree, however I think of shrooms as a powerful spiritual and mental tool to reset cognition, especially if you are not doing so well. I personally use it to combat depression every few months and it is better than any SSRI in my experience (I also don't have to deal with nasty side-effects from medication). Of course, every person is different and it isn't the right tool for everyone. I certainly don't recommend anyone just stop taking medication they are prescribed.

I think it's important to be in a stable state of mind and of course adhere to the tenants of "set and setting," but I often use them to bring myself out of naturally occurring negative thought loops and cognition. Sometimes they are just a fun trip, but other times they are challenging. I sort of take a shamanistic approach to taking mushrooms and never "fight" the trip and just let the psilocybin do its thing. It can be difficult, overwhelmingly joyful and everything in-between. I also don't take insane doses (typically 2-5 grams of dry mushrooms or truffle equivalent - and I am fairly experienced).

LSD is definitely much more of a recreational psychedelic. Both are to be respected though and I don't think either should be taken on a whim in my opinion.

Last edited:
I mostly agree, however I think of shrooms as a powerful spiritual and mental tool to reset cognition, especially if you are not doing so well.
Agree, totally. Most novice people interested in psychedelics expect it to be enjoyable and recreational, was talking from that perspective about shrooms.

I've never tripped once in my life (and I've tripped hundreds of times now) and have it be a 100% pleasurable experience. Hence why I always tell people that 'bad' or 'good' trips don't exist; there is only the trip. What happens might be good or bad, but you won't have much control over that lol.

I do take psychedelics as recreational substances but I'm very wary of sharing them with others for such purposes, due to the high incidence of these drugs showing people sides of themselves that they do not like and cannot integrate into their 'self'.

I've never tripped once in my life (and I've tripped hundreds of times now) and have it be a 100% pleasurable experience.
I pondered this for a minute. At first I wanted to say I've had trips that were nothing but positive... but even that's not true.

There are always moments, sounds, inputs, scenarios that can produce uncomfortable reactions while tripping. I simply acknowledge it and move away/move on and continue having fun.

On the opposite spectrum I've never really had a truly bad/nightmare trip. Just difficult ones.

Thanks to everyone for weighing in! I read up a bit more about the phenomenom of body load and am now less surprised by what happened to me. For one, my body, while generally fit and healthy, does have a general tendency to get pretty sore after workouts. This is very manageable when I am sober, but weed also potentiates this effect, to the point where I really can't do it after a workout or my soreness-sensitivity gets increased to an unbearable level. As for yesterday, like I said, I had been on a hike before that day, and had done some strength training the day before that - nothing particularly intense, really, and no problem at all when sober, but I guess that probably added to the extreme sense of physical exertion on the mushrooms. Before my 4-gram-trip, I had not done any physical activity at all for 5 days - not intentionally, as I didn't realize this as a potential complication back then, but now in hindsight I think that is probably why the body load, while still present, was much, much lighter and more bearable during that trip than during the one yesterday.

buprenorphine
This is only as synthetic as LSD though. They use the natural opiate thebaine and perform a diels alder reaction to get that bridged ring.

On topic: one thing people haven't stressed is that increasing the dose of many a psychadelic will often have non linear effects. While you only added 1.5 grams from your previous trip, you may have been tripping at least twice as hard.

Second, the scariest trips always give an illusion of sobriety. It is easy to reconcile negative sensations when the walls are melting with fractals, but sometimes (usually with a high enough dose) there is the occasional trip where it feels like reality is fundamentally altered. These are often the most difficult experiences, as you have little to ground yourself with.

One final note, poisoning with amatoxins (the class of poisons responsible for the majority of fatal mushroom poisoning) really won't feel like anything for the first day two while they are inhibiting RNA production. It is only after your organs start to fail due to lack of new proteins that pain commences.

This is only as synthetic as LSD though. They use the natural opiate thebaine and perform a diels alder reaction to get that bridged ring.
That was my bad. I was probably thinking of methadone? I think that one is fully-synthetic.

Great answers you all. Pretty much agree with all. Except that personally for me 2c-xs are the saint grial.

I also want to say : microdoses rocks!

I've never tripped once in my life (and I've tripped hundreds of times now) and have it be a 100% pleasurable experience. Hence why I always tell people that 'bad' or 'good' trips don't exist; there is only the trip. What happens might be good or bad, but you won't have much control over that lol.

I do take psychedelics as recreational substances but I'm very wary of sharing them with others for such purposes, due to the high incidence of these drugs showing people sides of themselves that they do not like and cannot integrate into their 'self'.
In my younger year's most of the trip's were, what we would call bad trip's some worse then other's. Some exception's. here and there.

Now a day's I am having none of that. My one, and only, double drop experience (300 mcg 1-p-LSD) was pure pleasure. It was the two day's after that I have no memory off. Only tiny fragment's and my public transport travel history, what's app, pin payment's revealed what happened. That is what made it bothersome.

So that was a wise lesson. Still Lysergic's stay therapeutic and recreational, lot's of healing but never a bad moment.

Weird huh. A explanation could be life experience?, had a lot in a short period. becoming a parent topping the mountain.