• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

First cases of flesh-eating drug reported in Arizona

I don't think anybody is denying that krokodil is a problem in Russia but there is a big difference between that and it being in he US. Just because someone, somewhere in Arizona took some kind of concoction that an idiot journalist or cop or both thinks sounds a bit similar really doesn't mean it is happening. Remember last year when the Miami face eater "zombie" on bath salts wasn't even on bath salts???

quoted from wikipedia page for desomorphine:
"Since the homemade mix is routinely injected immediately with little or no further purification, "krokodil" has become notorious for producing severe tissue damage, phlebitis and gangrene, sometimes requiring limb amputation in long-term users.[13] The amount of tissue damage is so high that addicts' life expectancies are said to be as low as two to three years, especially as they are often highly susceptible to infections and gangrene due to widespread HIV infection among injecting drug users in Russia."

Basically the real issue with it is that there is little to no precautions being taken amongst the users who concoct and inject this drug. On top of that, the high lasts like 1 hour so users are booting it 10-12 times a day to maintain not being sick. The articles comes off as trying to say the drug itself would make your flesh decay, even if it was created by a pharm company as an injectable formulation. I'd imagine there is a similar issue with users of kompot (polish heroin) in that people are hardly taken precautions to IV safely and the stuff is made in 30 minutes by someone not versed in chemical conversions.

quoted from wikipedia page for desomorphine:
"Since the homemade mix is routinely injected immediately with little or no further purification, "krokodil" has become notorious for producing severe tissue damage, phlebitis and gangrene, sometimes requiring limb amputation in long-term users.[13] The amount of tissue damage is so high that addicts' life expectancies are said to be as low as two to three years, especially as they are often highly susceptible to infections and gangrene due to widespread HIV infection among injecting drug users in Russia."

Basically the real issue with it is that there is little to no precautions being taken amongst the users who concoct and inject this drug. On top of that, the high lasts like 1 hour so users are booting it 10-12 times a day to maintain not being sick. The articles comes off as trying to say the drug itself would make your flesh decay, even if it was created by a pharm company as an injectable formulation. I'd imagine there is a similar issue with users of kompot (polish heroin) in that people are hardly taken precautions to IV safely and the stuff is made in 30 minutes by someone not versed in chemical conversions.

This shit is so ghetto. Considering the preparation and resulting appearance of this drug that people are pumping into their veins, alerting the public that it is dangerous is like alerting the public that driving their car into a large oak tree at 80 MPH is not safe.

Anyone desperate enough to do this is most likely a lost cause and probably not worth saving as it is. The government can not babysit everyone. There is a point where things are so obviously dangerous and risky that it doesn't need to be mentioned.

So also just read from a most likely untrustworthy source(not to say its information is false) that there are nearly 2 million addicts to desomorphine in Russia. With the population of Russia a little under 150 million, that would be around 1 in every 75 people. I can't imagine that 2 million number is accurate, but if it is or if the rate is even half of that, it is one hell of an issue over there.

(Sorry I double posted, don't know how that happened)

Last edited:
I've never done, seen or ever heard of anyone using "desomorphine" before I heard about the krokodil shit they cook up in Russia. The first thread on it with links was started on BL 3-4 months ago...

From everything I've read about it, it doesn't seem like the kind of drug that someone who knew their shit with a chemistry background would even bother with. The fact that it only lasts an hour or so immediately makes me have no interest in it. I think it's safe to assume that the only people who would bother cooking this stuff up are people who have easy access to OTC codeine pills, and out of that group of people, I think it's safe to assume that the majority of them probably don't have the chemistry knowledge to do a proper synthesis and filtration that removes the impurities and toxins.

Now, it's entirely possible that there are people in Russia who are cooking this shit that are using the codeine pills as a starter, but actually know how to do it without it having all the "flesh rotting" shit left in the final product. Maybe it only takes another step or two, and you can actually make a much purer form of this shit.

From what I've read, it takes about 30-45 minutes to make a batch of krokodil, and the high only lasts a little over an hour. So the people using it are basically using one batch and trying to hustle up more codeine and cook another batch up before they start to get sick. which sucks! they're sitting around all day boiling gasoline in their kitchen just to stop from going into withdrawal! Maybe some of them know how to properly clean it up, but they just don't have the extra time to do it because they need that next fix as soon as possible!

Even from when I first saw the documentary I thought: Why don't they just buy like 100 boxes of codeine and do one huge batch? That way, you'd have enough to last you at least a few days and it actually might be somewhat enjoyable, but obviously the majority of the people doing this are hustling up just enough to buy the pills and are living from fix to fix...what a fucking pain in the ass that would be!

The other thing that confuses me:

A few years ago it was all over the media about how much cheap, high-purity Afghani heroin there was flowing directly into Russia, now two years later everyone's using this cheap shit?! I just don't really get it...

Has anyone here ever tried real "Desomorphine"? Is it even prescribed anywhere in the world for anything?

I heard they use some kind of eye-drops in the manufacturing of this Krocodil drug.. what is that all about?

I think the eye drops refer to the fact that they contain polysorbate 80.. witch facilitates BB transfer and enhances effects.. but I'm not sure and have been looking for the answer to this.. not whether it expedites BB transfer but if is this is what they are doing. If it isn't added to create to the krok death trap then I would propose that people are adding eye drops which contain ply 80 to facilitate a faster and greater BB transfer.. including trying to increase the rush off herion.

No the eye drops are an otc antihistamine containing promethazine which is very bad on the veins. No source but got this from op**phile

I believe it's actually Atropine, which I think is a Belladonna derivative, this is off the top of my head though...I know it's not Promethazine though

^
Ah yes atropine eye drops , kinda weird they would hand that out otc doesn't it dilate the shit out of the pupils? Still I bet it would make the rush of desomorphine better.

^From what Wikipedia says, not only can you not get it over the counter in the US but it's pretty much obsolete as far as eye drops go too.

Key questions about the Arizona krokodil cases

http://www.thepoisonreview.com/2013/09/28/key-questions-about-the-arizona-krokodil-cases/

Very few details have been released so far concerning the two cases of possible exposure to krokodil exposure in Arizona that we posted about yesterday. My understanding is that the cases are being investigated by the public health department, and that they are awaiting laboratory confirmation.

I am not quite sure what “laboratory confirmation” would mean in these cases. The major damage done by krokodil is not caused by desomorphine itself, but by the various caustic ingredients used to make that opiate from codeine — gasoline, hydrochloric acid, red phosphorous, iodine, etc. Even if no desomorphine turned up on laboratory tests, if might just indicate an error in the manufacturing process. I’m not sure one could test for the various reagents. If the patient came in with his arm eaten away and gave a history of trying to make desomorphine at home from codeine, I’d consider that a krokodil exposure even if toxicology tests were negative.

Here are some important questions I’d be interested in having answered about the Arizona cases:

1. Did the patients give a history of attempting to make desomorphine out of codeine?
  2. If so, what reagents did they use?
  3. If not, did the patients buy a product sold on the street as a designer drug?
  4. If so, how was it labelled and represented?
  5. What were the presenting signs and symptoms?
  6. Did these result from a one-time exposure, or multiple uses?
  7. What lab tests were done? What did these show?
  8. We will no doubt be hearing much more about these cases in the future.

- See more at: http://www.thepoisonreview.com/2013...-arizona-krokodil-cases/#sthash.rpn94a86.dpuf

^exactly what I've been thinking since I saw this story.

AFAIK, effective sometime earlier this year, codeine is not OTC anymore in Russia due to the obvious reason. However, pharmacists might still sell it if business is bad.

This is just a hypothesis but it may explain this little anomaly we are discussing. Could this case be the result of a Darwin Award worthy performance? It's possible that we have a couple people who heard/saw/read about krokodil somewhere on the internet. They being geniuses decided that they wanted to make their codeine get them higher; maybe they were broke and WD'in and they wanted to see if they could get a good high off codeine. Again being geniuses they got their codeine and mixed it with who-knows-what and then tried to use whatever they ended up with. Thus they could have literally injected gasoline or something. I can see a potential line of thinking going " well if a dumb russian addict can take some pillz and some gas and some alcohol and cook up some good dope it cant be that hard." Otherwise, it just seem like more sensationalist BS like the Jenkum thing from a couple years ago. Either way the simple fact that dope is for the most part very available in Arizona confounds the presence of this claim by the media. I hope someone in the community will actually talk to a doctor and not a cop when more information comes forth.

As far as this trend spreading, again i just dont think things are that bad in the USA. It might get there eventually but for now i think most people would make do with something less fatal to ease them thru the bad times. I hope anyway.

A lot of interesting discussion here, I recently wrote an article on Krokodil and researched it quite thoroughly.

There are more than 7 million heroin/opiod addicts in Russia as officially reported in September 2013.

Codeine is no longer OTC, it was restricted to prescription only in 2012, however corrupt chemists still sell it (addicts know which ones) and all other ingredients, including Tropikamid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropicamide) eye drops.

Desomorphine was once sold in Switzerland under the brand name Permonid and does not cause the flesh eating side effects. It's the fact they are injecting codeine analogues, unreacted codeine, pill binders, iodine, red phosphorous, oil, petrol whatever solvents they use in whatever recipe they found on whatever internet site.

Heard about this story in the media a few days ago from some of my friends - it does seem quite fucked up that Russian addicts are still using this drug in droves - I mean, the shit obviously will kill you in a relatively short amount of time, there's not even a question about it. I had even seen that Vice documentary that another user put up on this thread months and months ago and was just horrified at what I saw - I chalked it up to some sort of backward Russian attitude about wanting to escape from the debilitating economic standards that plague most of that gigantic country, but, then again, obviously, people in America have even felt the need to try Krokodil out - very concerning.

And I definitely agree with some other posters here - Arizona, or really anywhere in the U.S., maybe even all over North to South America, should be the last place where people feel the need to do drugs that just literally rot your body from the inside out. Shit's not worth it when there are so many, not exactly healthy, but tried and true alternatives right around the fucking corner. Shit, guys, you can just panhandle for half the day and get your heroin and food money in the States. And since the U.S. is essentially the ending point for most drug organizations to funnel their product to, well, we certainly don't have a dearth of options. The only positive that I could possibly evince from a drug like Krokodil is that maybe this will finally point people to the fact of just how non-dangerous weed is, Jesus...although, frankly, that probably won't happen because most people will just see this as an extreme case, which, given, it is.

It is quite depressing, though, to hear about how Krokodil is actively being sought out and made in Europe - for a 1 hour high? That's ludicrous - well, I guess all that advanced European history I learned means that European drug users aren't exactly in an age of enlightenment right now.

it does seem quite fucked up that Russian addicts are still using this drug in droves

IT IS NOT THIS DRUG THAT IS KILLING PEOPLE

The drug desomorphine IS SAFE

If you tried to make MDMA in your kitchen, without knowing what it was INJECTED IT ANYWAY, would you expect me to say "poor imnifuckwit" id died from a harmless drug, Let;s tighten drug laws because people like you are fucking brainless.

How does that sound to you?

Yea, I get that, but however you want to look at it, the situation with homemade cheap Krokodil in Russia and people dying from it all the time is pretty fucked. I was just showing concern over lives being pointlessly lost...

Last edited:
^ Sorry, my gaba receptors were overloaded last night, looks like I got quite excited.