• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

First arrest crazy charges!?!

A public defender IS a lawyer. What did you think she was, a court stenographer? Being a public defender means MORE of a commitment to justice, as a PD could easily make a lot more money in the private sector with the level of experience they have. In fact, many defense attorneys working in the private sector began as public defenders, so cut her some slack. I can tell you, an attorney in the private sector would not give you much more time. But if you must, pay the few hundred dollars (if that) for just a consult with another attorney if you need to, it doesn't mean you have to retain that attorney, which you cannot afford. For a few hundred dollars, a consult with an attorney may give you peace of mind.

And tear up that statement of yours, it isn't a defense. You chose to participate in a drug deal, at whatever level, and now you have to answer to the charges. And ask yourself this hard question: if you were not arrested, would you not have taken some of the drug you had participated in obtaining? You went to rehab, after all, and the judge is going to want to know why you went to treatment if you didn't have a drug problem. I'm not saying that you do, but it's out there. You have to be brutally honest with yourself because if you're not, your attorney, the prosecuting attorney, and THE JUDGE will know it because they see cases like yours all day, everyday. So stop shifting the blame to your friend and accept responsibility already. You'd be surprised with the peace of mind that will accompany it.

Good god. Nobody take this girls advice.

Can you give us all the number of the lawyer who's representing that friend?

I know I could use a defense counsel of that callibre and I'm sure the OP of this thread wouldn't mind a helping hand from that magician too....

the RCMP officer probably fucked it up. I've read about people getting off when cops do dumb things like take (steal) personal belongings from the accused, etc.