Ancillaries Finasteride/Dutasteride - pharmaceuticals for full hair?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
Anyone have experience with them?

I ordered some dutasteride as I've experience some thinning which scares the hell out of me.

Off a legit online UK pharmacy (oxfordpharmacy) and the doc suggested I downgrade to finasteride for first time to assess tolerability.

Seems as finasteride has a 6 hour half life and dutasteride a 5 week half life, any potential sides could stay around much longer with the latter so I agreed.

I have a HYPER-sensitivity to almost every psychoactive based pharmaceutical so will see how tolerable finasteride is.
Enzyme based, I don't think I've ever used enzyme inhibitors previously so again, remains to be seen.

Apparently they block testosterone to dihydrotestosterone conversion thus can actually raise natural test levels, which sounds like a good thing?

Anyone experience with these?

Ashton Kutcher used to use dutasteride and advocates for its efficacy,

Last edited:
Warning warning!!
DHT blocker cause long term anxiety depression and severe enhdonia , it's effect will stay months after stopping and might be permanent, we really don't know why, it's like the PSSD. in SSRIs or TD in antipsychotics which is permanent.

I always getting messages from people asking me how to treat this condition

If you want safe alternative is zinc mega dose it will block the conversation of T to DHT without causing enhdonia but you need to take 2.4 grams as loading dose then 5 mg/day
There's also a research Chem topical that can be applied topically as a 5a-reductase inhibitor. I believe it starts with "U" but I can't seem to remember. Since it's a localized effect, users have reported none of the systemic effects from fina/duta

Anyone have experience with them?

I ordered some dutasteride as I've experience some thinning which scares the hell out of me.

Off a legit online UK pharmacy (oxfordpharmacy) and the doc suggested I downgrade to finasteride for first time to assess tolerability.

Seems as finasteride has a 6 hour half life and dutasteride a 5 week half life, any potential sides could stay around much longer with the latter so I agreed.

I have a HYPER-sensitivity to almost every psychoactive based pharmaceutical so will see how tolerable finasteride is.
Enzyme based, I don't think I've ever used enzyme inhibitors previously so again, remains to be seen.

Apparently they block testosterone to dihydrotestosterone conversion thus can actually raise natural test levels, which sounds like a good thing?

Anyone experience with these?

Blocking DHT conversion isn't conducent with overall long term health, your body makes hormones for a reason, go bald gracefully, get used to shaving your head..

Yeah there's some cautionary tales of DHT blockers.

I recently started using a topical washing system called "nioxin".

We'll see how that works out.

I could never go bald.

It's wig time if it comes to that.

Caffeine shampoo, 2x daily scalp massages, high dose biotin, omegas and protein will all help with hair growth. If it’s genetic though it’s just delaying the inevitable I’m afraid.

Try out RU55841. I think that is what Serotonin was referencing. It can be applied topically to the scalp and for the most part is relatively mild on the side effects from anecdotal reports. It's an anti-androgen with low binding affinity for the AR so it's interesting in how it actually works.

Try out RU55841. I think that is what Serotonin was referencing. It can be applied topically to the scalp and for the most part is relatively mild on the side effects from anecdotal reports. It's an anti-androgen with low binding affinity for the AR so it's interesting in how it actually works.
Thank you! Yes that's what i was thinking of.

I personally don't know why people attest to RU58841's greatness when it A.) It's poorly studied. and B.) It's not approved to be used in any country on the planet. It's literally an abandoned research drug. People gripe about finasteride all the time but the fact remains that it's still the safest, heavily tested and studied, and most effective hair loss drug to date.

Lowering circulating DHT can also produce libido issues. And if it increases total T due to offsetting the activity by 5a reductase then you will inevitably increase your estrogen due to increased aromatase activity peripherally. The T/E ratio always stays within a certain balance and increasing free T will slowly bring E2 up primarily. If you aren't super sensitive to estrogen activity then try it out.

Generally only a few lucky individuals get 100% success with mono therapy. Hair loss restoration/prevention is finding the proper combination in a lot of cases. If you remove DHT then your own circulating T can still cause androgen related alopecia, but to a slower degree as it's androgenic activity is a lot weaker at the scalp. If you have male pattern baldness then any androgenic hormone binding to the AR in your scalp will make you shed.

In the first hour of the cast, this Dr talks about finasteride and DHT blockers and their effect.

Good overview.

Last edited:
I've never noticed any regrowth from it - just maintains what you had when you started taking it.

I think having hair's pretty important - and if you lose it at a young age you can look like shit for an awfully long time.

I personally don't know why people attest to RU58841's greatness when it A.) It's poorly studied. and B.) It's not approved to be used in any country on the planet. It's literally an abandoned research drug. People gripe about finasteride all the time but the fact remains that it's still the safest, heavily tested and studied, and most effective hair loss drug to date.
Interesting perspective, no doubt a somewhat sensible one. I just recently - like, I mean, less than half an hour ago - started using RU58841, and this kinda gave me pause although I think I will keep up with it for a while. For some reason the idea of taking a systemic drug for a largely topical issue bothers me... I know there is some debate as to whether RU58841 can go systemic as well, presumably it does, obviously, to some extent.

Fortunately I don't have major hairloss yet, I only really noticed it earlier this last year when I shaved my head on (a low dose of) acid one time and noticed I had a receding hairline. Then I did a lot of kratom for a few months... which honestly I think made my hair fall out after a while, maybe just down to major emotional stress induced by withdrawals, although I know opiates have some hormonal suppression going on.

Then shortly after quitting that - for about a month I was on minocycline for unrelated reasons - which gave me scalp psoriasis and for sure made me lose hair visibly in the shower and stuff - this almost warrants it's own thread, but I wondered at times if minocycline was making me feel better mentally. And actually I had a lot of energy for a few weeks, was exercising a lot just with home workouts due to this COVID thing... but I have read since that minocycline potentiates the conversion of testosterone to DHT, which could explain the hair loss for sure and perhaps the increased energy? I dunno. It's hard to parse out the effects of all the stuff I'm doing, which I guess is kind of dumb but I resumed taking minoxidil - I mean, applying it - almost concurrently with quitting minocycline, and again, I have read monoxidil can have systemic effects. I wonder now if my seriously shite and unstable mood for the second half of last year was actually something to do with subtle hormonal effects induced by minoxidil and that was also the indirect cause of my brief kratom addiction and flirtation with other fairly sketchy habits like benzos... I have been almost entirely sober for just over 2 months so maybe there was all this hormonal shit going on all along that I just wasn't noticing...

Anyway I'm probably not gonna continue with minoxidil primarily because the bottle I had has run out and I don't feel any major desire to get more. So will see how things go.

I think having hair's pretty important - and if you lose it at a young age you can look like shit for an awfully long time.
Lol, like shit? Don't be so hard on yourself, it's not really that important at all. Granted, it's probably easy for me to say this from the perspective of relatively early male-pattern-baldness, but I like to think if it was very severe, or turned out to be a lot of hassle to slow it down, I would be able to accept it. I mean obviously I'll have to one day, most likely. It's not that big a deal after all, it's only hair. I mean who cares really, and I hear hair transplants work pretty well these days, and who knows in 5 or 10 years or so maybe they'll have far more targeted and effective treatments. But even if they don't, eh, there are worse things.

Saw Palmetto.

I read the benefits of this being touted for hair loss.

Anyone use it?

I also ordered a 1.5 mm derma roller.

Apparently they can work wonders on the scalp.

^^^It can have similar libido issues.

As I’ve said on here before... It’s about blood flow, this can be remedied by healthy diet, exercise and scalp massages.

Literally everyone in my family is bald on both sides. My dad and brothers are all bald. My one brother lost his hair in high school. I still have a nice full head of hair.

I’m also the only one who gives a shit about my diet, exercise and I do scalp massages a few times a week. Focus on these over anything else.

I’ve also heard rosemary and peppermint oils help, pretty sure rosemary oil blocks DHT formation at the source or something of that nature (likely didn’t say that right but too lazy to re-research this second.)

I use a shampoo with both these oils present in it.

-GC

^^^It can have similar libido issues.

As I’ve said on here before... It’s about blood flow, this can be remedied by healthy diet, exercise and scalp massages.

Literally everyone in my family is bald on both sides. My dad and brothers are all bald. My one brother lost his hair in high school. I still have a nice full head of hair.

I’m also the only one who gives a shit about my diet, exercise and I do scalp massages a few times a week. Focus on these over anything else.

I’ve also heard rosemary and peppermint oils help, pretty sure rosemary oil blocks DHT formation at the source or something of that nature (likely didn’t say that right but too lazy to re-research this second.)

I use a shampoo with both these oils present in it.

-GC
Nerve stimulation does seem to be intrinsically linked with blood flow, therefore topical treatments like microneedling are reputed to work so well for hair thickness and regrowth.

Even scalp massage, presumably via its nerve activation affect stimulates blood flow = thicker hair.

I was also doing a little light reading on certain natural oils that claim to thicken and assist with hair regrowth.

According to one study, rosemary oil performed as well as minoxidil, a common hair growth treatment, but with less scalp itching as a side effect.

I tried castor oil but the consistency is horrible, then came across some horror reports of some folk losing their hair using it.

Lavender and rosemary oil seem to be well reputed.

Even after a few days of mixing a few drops of castor oil with coconut oil as a base, my scalp already feels healthier and hair feels thicker.

I've also used it to replace conventional hair products like wax/cream etc. as that mix (thick castor oil with thinner coconut oil) gives far better styling results with less hassle (way easier to apply), less stickiness in your hair, and cheaper.

Plus that really oily slicked up appearance is boss.

Thus far, definitely an advocate for hair oil combos.

Update on this:

Made the mistake of trying Finasteride.

Pretty devastating.

Basically induced a chronic case of limp dick syndrome, and unable-to-nut syndrome.

Plus, bizarre as it may sound, it makes me feel like a nancy boy.

DHT is significantly more androgenic than straight up test, perhaps inhibiting it doesn't do any good for the "manhood"....?

But it's the sexual sides that are the killer, and bear in mind I only used a 0.5 mg dose.

On the hair side, I have been using a derma roller, 1.5 mm (recommended as per r/tressless wiki), in combination with rosemary oil, castor oil, coconut oil combo.

Plus a thickening shampoo called "Nioxin".

I'm getting some baby hair growth around the scalp line since I started derma rolling also.

So - ditching the drug approach, sticking with topicals.

Last edited:

Shit also induces heavy depression.

Awful shit.

I haven't felt like dog shit to this extent since I was an anxiety ridden teenager who couldn't get laid.

Last edited:
Update on this:

Made the mistake of trying Finasteride.

Pretty devastating.

Basically induced a chronic case of limp dick syndrome, and unable-to-nut syndrome.

Plus, bizarre as it may sound, it makes me feel like a nancy boy.

DHT is significantly more androgenic than straight up test, perhaps inhibiting it doesn't do any good for the "manhood"....?

But it's the sexual sides that are the killer, and bear in mind I only used a 0.5 mg dose.

On the hair side, I have been using a derma roller, 1.5 mm (recommended as per r/tressless wiki), in combination with rosemary oil, castor oil, coconut oil combo.

Plus a thickening shampoo called "Nioxin".

I'm getting some baby hair growth around the scalp line since I started derma rolling also.

So - ditching the drug approach, sticking with topicals.

Thats interesting keep us informed of your progress..