• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Finally told my wife. NA is next. Not sure what to expect

ChicagoMike, how are you going? How is NA for you and things with your family?

Everyone else, thanks for the replies, I feel bad that its within ChicagoMike's thread, that wasn't my intention at all.

Speaking for myself, ive been to a lot of NA meetings and none in my area take issue with subuxone and methadone. Many members are on it and ive been encouraged and praised for getting on methadone by NA members. Their position is that methadone and subuxone are external medical decisions between doctor and patient to which NA has no opinion.

So it exists somewhere.

What's the NA stance on kratom? For many, such as myself, it is being used as a maintenance drug.

What's the NA stance on kratom? For many, such as myself, it is being used as a maintenance drug.

I don't think there's any official position on kratom. But it probably would be frowned on in NA circles. JessFR rightly points out that NA is evolving a bit when it comes MAT...but this (slow) process is largely based on the assumption that folks are working with a legit doctor.

I was part of NA for many years and still have friends who are heavily involved. I have been to the odd meeting here and there (not for 6 months or so) and the attitude is still
The same.

Rejection / isolation stuff is huge for me and I couldn't be a part of somewhere that doesn't accept all of me at this point in time, nor could I leave out a massive part of what keeps me alive. Which is a shame as there is alot of good about NA and I miss and need the fellowship in some form.

Last edited:
I'm in Qld, Australia and I have actually heard from a friend that Na In Melbourne has become a lot more maintenance friendly so there is hope.

Re. Kratom, I've never ever seen it but from my NA days I am pretty sure it would be lumped in with any other mind altering substance.

Hi there
I've seen your thread pop up a few times but only just replying now. I am in your position (well similar) but I am the using wife with a sober husband, hates drugs and EVERHHING to do with them. We have 5 gorgeous children and I had a drug problem before getting married but I stopped everything through NA and rehab to have all the kids, stayed completely clean and sober for 14 or so years, the whole time we had been together. Then we nearly lost our youngest several times as a baby and I ended up with PTSD on top of all my other endless issues and I ended up with a pill habit (opiates and benzos.). It was fairly short lived and I put my hand up for help, checked myself into detox, relapsed but have now been on suboxone for a few years. He had always Been around drugs playing in bands and stuff and seen the worst side of drug use so his reaction was very strong.

I have recently relapsed on Herojn and trying to stop but its so hard, it took hold immediately and I'm not taking my meds anymore. If I tell him km scared he will take my kids and I'm NOTNING without my family. I just long to be able to have that one person I can tell anything to without fear of a major reaction and judgement because I do actually want help.

I can't go to NA as I'm 'on suboxone' (well am supposed to be) and therefore cannot share or get a sponsor or anything which really sucks. And we don't have any SMART or (I forget the other one) around the area. I am going to go inpatient as soon as he has holidays but I'm going to have to say it's because j want to drastically reduce my suboxone - they have me on 32mg so it's feasible....and also this one place will help get the ball rolling for my complex mental and physical health issues.

I am really glad to hear you are going well and that your wife has stood by. Keep fighting that good fight.

Sounds like a rough spot, but there is always hope. As for NA, we just had a long discussion about this at my last meeting. My home group fully supports people such as yourself trying to kick it with subs. As someone previously said, all that is required is the desire to stop. We talked about how "we are not doctors" and no one in NA has any business judging anyone working a plan with their doctor to stop. If you're attending a meeting full of "NA police" as we call them, find yourself another meeting. Good luck! Feel free to PM me about anything and everything! I'm on day 26 and still truckin!

And things are going great so far, AnythingEverything. After I bit the bullet and came clean to my wife, after an initial period of anger, compassion followed. She really wants to help me. What's different this time is that she didn't catch me, I came to her and asked for her help to get clean, which went a long way with her, because she knew I meant it. I think you might be surprised with your husbands response if you do the same. I'll tell you this, this beast is impossible to beat on your own, I had tried many times. It was like me fighting Mike Tyson. Since I pulled back my opiate curtain and let people in, it's not just me vs Tyson anymore. It's me, my wife, my parents and all of my NA friends vs Tyson. And I don't think he stands a chance now. Sure, he pops me in the face every once in a while with some cravings, but it's a long fight, and I'm winning.

(Sorry for the cheesy analogy, but that's really how I feel about it)

Also, there is zero issue with not sharing certain aspects. NA had been a god send for me, but guess what? I drink alcohol on occasion still. Shhhhh. I just don't share it. Lol. Alcohol has never been an issue for me and I'll have a glass of wine with dinner or a beer out on the deck on a hot day. It's not a problem for me so I don't bring it with me to my NA meeting. You work NA and tailor it to your needs. What really is working for me is the community of people just like me who understand you and who you can reach out to on shitty days. I'm not "all in" on everything they do, but i take the parts that apply to me and I use them.

Also, there is zero issue with not sharing certain aspects. NA had been a god send for me, but guess what? I drink alcohol on occasion still. Shhhhh. I just don't share it. Lol. Alcohol has never been an issue for me and I'll have a glass of wine with dinner or a beer out on the deck on a hot day. It's not a problem for me so I don't bring it with me to my NA meeting. You work NA and tailor it to your needs. What really is working for me is the community of people just like me who understand you and who you can reach out to on shitty days. I'm not "all in" on everything they do, but i take the parts that apply to me and I use them.

Well said, Mike!

Sounds like a rough spot, but there is always hope. As for NA, we just had a long discussion about this at my last meeting. My home group fully supports people such as yourself trying to kick it with subs. As someone previously said, all that is required is the desire to stop. We talked about how "we are not doctors" and no one in NA has any business judging anyone working a plan with their doctor to stop. If you're attending a meeting full of "NA police" as we call them, find yourself another meeting. Good luck! Feel free to PM me about anything and everything! I'm on day 26 and still truckin!

Very refreshing to hear this kind of attitude coming from the rooms. Keep up the great work Mike, sounds like you are doing really well!