Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Finally Had An Ego Death Yesterday

G_Chem

Moderator: OD
Staff member
Well after nearly 2 decades of solid psychedelic usage, I finally had an ego death experience. I should note, I’ve had plenty of ego loss experiences where I transferred directly to that state of “loss of self.”

I’ve always been of the opinion that an ego death is more or less just a tougher transfer from this reality to that loss-of-self state. This experience solidified that theory.

We had been camping for a couple of days out in the remote wilderness, hot as fuck so spent much of it hanging down by the river. The day or so before this we had a small candyflip experience.

The meal for dinner that night consisted of some new wild herbs I foraged which I had used to flavor the steak. (This would be relevant later..)

As the sun began to set for the night I knew I’d be having an experience and with DMT’s water connection decided to “meditate” (I enter meditative states fairly naturally) on a rock in the middle of the river with my feet dangling in the rapids.

Once ready I went back to my tent, loaded up an unknown amount of very pure Acacia DMT crystals. The crystals were clear, well defined, some around a 1/4 to 1/2in in length. A very light coating of NMT oil covers the crystals. Likely 40mg, a lot if done right.

I start smoking it and it seems difficult to vaporize, and then immediately I realize something is very different about this time. I felt a synergy of factors coming together, I felt this connection to Mother Earth like never before.

The ringing of the bugs and water flowing seemed to intensify and carry the carrier wave to new heights.

And then it hit me... Those herbs I’d eaten, were poison. I’d fucked up my ID. Logically I knew this was all wrong, that I just had a head full of DMT but in my soul I KNEW I was dying.

That was the craziest part of this ego death. I was so calm about it and logically thinking about it as it happened. Probably because of my experience..

I then remember thinking “you know there’s two ways this can go, you can either flail and scream and cry, or you can accept it, you’ve seen firsthand what can happen when someone doesn’t accept it.” Then I remembered my friends rough ego death on LSD and knew for the sake of everyone else at camp I should calmly let go as not to frighten anyone (aren’t I courteous?).

As soon as I let go, I went to that typical DMT crazy abstractness. But it was just so interesting that I felt like I was dying when I entered.

I thought about it and I think a few factors came together that night. My eating new wild herbs always leaves me checking myself for allergic reactions and what not. Combine that with the larger dose and the background noise intensifying the carrier wave and it was a recipe for an ego death.

What fascinated me was my coherent and logical yet dissociated thought process while it happened. Like I knew I shouldn’t be but I was anyways, and thinking back to others ego deaths and how to never try and fight it.

All my DMT trips I usually drift off into that other realm, and don’t even realize I’m there til I’m back, this was very much in my face. Crazy too that it happened on Acacia DMT, the more gentle of the plant sources.

One final thing I found interesting was that I was breathing like I’d been knocked out, if you’ve ever seen someone get knocked out they often breath very heavy almost snoring, I remember actually feeling my body doing it too and my girl commented on it later. Never had that happen before either.

Thought I’d share, even many years later I still get surprised.

My thoughts on ego death hasn’t changed, and I wonder if I didn’t have that thought/fear of potentially eating dangerous wild herbs if I would’ve had that experience at all?..

-GC

I'd say fear of having eaten poisonous wild herbs is one hell of a change in mindset compared to previous experiences!

Do you know what the herbs were?? Is it possible they were psychoactive in their own right? That could definitely have had a role in the experience. If not, that uncertainty about the safety of the body still likely contributed greatly to the overall experience. I know it would absolutely changed my mindset...

@G_Chem

when you get a moment can you just clarify for me your definitions of A) Ego loss and B) Ego death? especially in relation to the psychedelic experience

everyone's perceptions of such terminology are seriously nuanced at least

am pretty suure I've experienced both states you're referring to, and wondering if I'd go so far as to call either 'ego death'...anyway that's unimportant for now but a response to request above appreciated at your leisure

I'd say fear of having eaten poisonous wild herbs is one hell of a change in mindset compared to previous experiences!

Do you know what the herbs were?? Is it possible they were psychoactive in their own right? That could definitely have had a role in the experience. If not, that uncertainty about the safety of the body still likely contributed greatly to the overall experience. I know it would absolutely changed my mindset...

Hahaha ya maybe not the best moment upon reflection... I picked “Coyote Mint” or “Mountain Monardella” as well as a little sage. Both edible and I’ve eaten small amounts of both before no problem. This time however I made up a “sauce” with a lot more than I’d eaten of both.

I definitely felt like there may have been something psychoactive to the herbs, me and my party noted we felt relaxed and off in a cannabis kind of way after eating it but chalked it up as possible placebo.

@G_Chem

when you get a moment can you just clarify for me your definitions of A) Ego loss and B) Ego death? especially in relation to the psychedelic experience

everyone's perceptions of such terminology are seriously nuanced at least

am pretty suure I've experienced both states you're referring to, and wondering if I'd go so far as to call either 'ego death'...anyway that's unimportant for now but a response to request above appreciated at your leisure

I’ve always termed “ego loss” as the state in which you completely lose yourself. There is no sense of self, no internal dialogue, just simply the moment and whatever is happening in that moment. Often as I come out of it I’ll feel as though I was in a trance, like coming out of a dream kinda.

I think of ego death as a “kind” of ego loss where the transition from “self” to “non self” is experienced in the sense that one is dying. Kind of like a square is rectangle but a rectangle isn’t always a square, that idea applies here. Ego death is a form of ego loss but ego loss doesn’t always equate ego death.

After thinking about it more I now understand why I’ve never had an ego death experience until now, and why some may have them more than others.

Ego death comes from some mistrust in the process of ego loss. My case was unique in that mistrust came from food I’d eaten earlier. But more commonly mistrust comes from the user not fully knowing whether they will be safe under this substance or not.

I’ve since a young age had a near complete trust in these psychedelics and because of that I’ve never thought “oh shit am I dying right now cuz I ate these poisonous mushrooms? Or is this Aya brew gonna kill me?!?”

That said, not everyone has as much trust as I, and especially if traveling down to some unknown place taking an unknown brew with random people I could see how the ego death experience may be more prevalent than a more peaceful transition.

It was fascinating and really showed me once again how important set n setting are..

-GC

Hahaha ya maybe not the best moment upon reflection... I picked “Coyote Mint” or “Mountain Monardella” as well as a little sage. Both edible and I’ve eaten small amounts of both before no problem. This time however I made up a “sauce” with a lot more than I’d eaten of both.

I definitely felt like there may have been something psychoactive to the herbs, me and my party noted we felt relaxed and off in a cannabis kind of way after eating it but chalked it up as possible placebo.

I’ve always termed “ego loss” as the state in which you completely lose yourself. There is no sense of self, no internal dialogue, just simply the moment and whatever is happening in that moment. Often as I come out of it I’ll feel as though I was in a trance, like coming out of a dream kinda.

I think of ego death as a “kind” of ego loss where the transition from “self” to “non self” is experienced in the sense that one is dying. Kind of like a square is rectangle but a rectangle isn’t always a square, that idea applies here. Ego death is a form of ego loss but ego loss doesn’t always equate ego death.

After thinking about it more I now understand why I’ve never had an ego death experience until now, and why some may have them more than others.

Ego death comes from some mistrust in the process of ego loss. My case was unique in that mistrust came from food I’d eaten earlier. But more commonly mistrust comes from the user not fully knowing whether they will be safe under this substance or not.

I’ve since a young age had a near complete trust in these psychedelics and because of that I’ve never thought “oh shit am I dying right now cuz I ate these poisonous mushrooms? Or is this Aya brew gonna kill me?!?”

That said, not everyone has as much trust as I, and especially if traveling down to some unknown place taking an unknown brew with random people I could see how the ego death experience may be more prevalent than a more peaceful transition.

It was fascinating and really showed me once again how important set n setting are..

-GC

Maybe it was the perfect moment on reflection😉

As the sun began to set for the night I knew I’d be having an experience and with DMT’s water connection decided to “meditate” (I enter meditative states fairly naturally) on a rock in the middle of the river with my feet dangling in the rapids.

Water connection, I just read that in DM Turner's The Essential Psychedelic Guide The guy was having scary DMT trips in the desert and getting locked out and it stopped working all together until he stumbles on the water connection. Fascinating. I need to smoke DMT with my legs dangling in a river sometime. You would think fire would be the opposite but with candles I still can have a wonderful experience. But yeah, the water connection, I need to remember that. Water, Air, Fire and Earth. So much we don't know or haven't created yet.

I got more to say GC, still digesting what you wrote. So I may be back. :)

Last edited:
Strangely enough I had an ego death on the 28th June. I remember being within an inch from suicide, and hadn't been able to sleep from the sheer stress of what had happened two days earlier. All I remember was visual hallucinations, all sorts of crazy patterns. I just didn't care about anything else. It was like a prisoner's cinema, plus a feeling of having no connection to my mind at all, it was just pretty much complete obliteration of my senses except the visual field effects. I thought I was about to die but didn't. When I "came around" a few hours later, I remember that I had thoughts of self-harm but dismissed them as stupid and pointless.

So maybe this stress-induced "trip" saved my life. But the doctor could have done a better job. I'll post my story in "The Dark Side" for anyone who wants to read it. It should be up soon.

Water connection, I just read that in DM Turner's The Essential Psychedelic Guide The guy was having scary DMT trips in the desert and getting locked out and it stopped working all together until he stumbles on the water connection. Fascinating. I need to smoke DMT with my legs dangling in a river sometime. You would think fire would be the opposite but with candles I still can have a wonderful experience. But yeah, the water connection, I need to remember that. Water, Air, Fire and Earth. So much we don't know or haven't created yet.

I got more to say GC, still digesting what you wrote. So I may be back. :)

Take your time, I’m still digesting it myself :)

Actually D.M.Turner is where I remember reading that too. I’ve experimented a bit with this idea to see what I could find... One time I smoked DMT in the shower with water falling down on me to see what would happen. It was far too distracting.

I think I figured out the connection though after this and other experiences, I think it’s the sound of moving water which is the key. Something about the trickle/dripping/rushing constant of a river, creek or waterfall which combines with the carrier wave to create an overall more intense and long lasting experience.

-GC

[QUOTE="G_Chem, post: 14929465, member: 360545"

I think I figured out the connection though after this and other experiences, I think it’s the sound of moving water which is the key. Something about the trickle/dripping/rushing constant of a river, creek or waterfall which combines with the carrier wave to create an overall more intense and long lasting experience.

-GC
[/QUOTE]

only got a moment but will return...just noticed this and remembered an immense ego-death dmt experience I had with this as a low volume soundtrack to

Thinking even more, Tipper, a music artist who’s music suits DMT well has a lot of “wet” sounds. Maybe there is something to it..

-GC

Thinking even more, Tipper, a music artist who’s music suits DMT well has a lot of “wet” sounds. Maybe there is something to it..

-GC
Tipper makes some mad glitch-hop, if it's the same person we're talking about. I used to listen to their stuff alot while on high dose K and doing nitrous balloons. Intense lol.

Nice writeup. Sounds like a good time overall.

Tipper makes some mad glitch-hop, if it's the same person we're talking about. I used to listen to their stuff alot while on high dose K and doing nitrous balloons. Intense lol.

Nice writeup. Sounds like a good time overall.

Yessir the one and only ;) Unfortunately he’s achieved a cult following which has more or less ruined the shows.

One of my best memories ever is early morning sunrise set on a beach, steam rising off the water, Tipper downtempo set, and some couple hundred souls drifting off in a DMT-bliss with the tendrils of steam reaching into the sky. I watched my buddy cry from the beauty of it all.

-GC

Getting lost on a thought (loop) after an ego loss gave me schizophrenic tendencies. Im glad you had it better and interesting thread.

I could see how the ego death experience may be more prevalent than a more peaceful transition
I wonder how rare a rapid ego death is with sober meditation/mindfulness, I can clear out my internal monologue fairly quickly but I don't get that same sense of continuous connection to the world and whatnot. I've heard it can take many months of intensive mindfulness on a retreat to achieve a particularly profound decrease in ego/self and it doesn't sound instant.

Mindfulness is somewhat counter-intuitive for me because I somewhat use my inner monologue to curb my inner monologue as it starts creeping back in, and refocus on the breath/catch myself when my mind is wandering et cetera, whereas at least a drug is exerting the diminishing effect on the self/ego the entire time, if you will

Congrats on the ego death though! Fun acronym I saw in the psychedelic literature by the way, Drug Induced Ego Death

Getting lost on a thought (loop) after an ego loss gave me schizophrenic tendencies. Im glad you had it better and interesting thread.
That's part of what worries me with ego death. Normally my inner monologue is what keeps my thoughts in check too, ironically when my inner monologue gets out of control it's also my inner monologue that can identify that and can abort that with mindfulness or changing my setting, but I feel like on psychedelics sometimes its just the nasty inner monologue portion/self and the responsible portion is taking a nap

real ego death from meditation is so rare that even decades will induce it its literally lifetimes of spiritual work and reincarnation or just drop some heavy psychedelics to have that grand vision. Ego death is also a process that continues between each ego death still very rare even if you drop heroic doses of LSD every trip you might only ever get true ego death 5 times in 100 trips which is why 5 meo dmt is the crowning god molecule for ego death every trip.

meditation is useful for grounding in the psychedelic experince and the psychedelics the more you do will allow your meditation sessions to go deeper. Meditation is pretty much just flow and let things go and happen as it is now without getting tangled up in it all.

ego death if unprepared for it and lacking experince in altered states is fucking terrifying psychosis during a trip can usually happen when a tripper gets caught between ego death and reality as they fight it. Dying and been reborn every time it happens can lead to major changes in your self but these trips are rare and seem to just stop happening once you had a few of them.

I think it’s the sound of moving water which is the key. Something about the trickle/dripping/rushing constant of a river, creek or waterfall which combines with the carrier wave to create an overall more intense and long lasting experience.
After some pubmed-ing, running water does hold a special place in our auditory system!
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3095814/ - "Auditory Perception of Self-Similarity in Water Sounds"

Their artificially generated "supplementary movie S5" audio file sounds like bad trip running water :LOL:

"Several recent works show that as a population, neurons in the ascending auditory pathway should be activated strongest by sounds identified as “most natural” here.
The spectro-temporal receptive field (STRFs) of a neuron in the ascending auditory system may be characterized by the preferred spectral and temporal modulation frequency, as well as the bandwidth of the spectral and temporal modulation frequency. In the temporal domain, imposing 1/f temporal statistics over the stimulus evoked an increase in discharge of neurons in the primary auditory cortex (O'Connor et al., 2005; Garcia-Lazaro et al., 2006).

Further, neural tuning properties of neurons in the IC adapt to match the statistics of the stimulus (Lesica and Grothe, 2008). For a representative large population of neurons in the IC, most of the neurons’ spectro-temporal bandwidth matched the predicted Q range (Rodriguez et al., 2010), and thus, a larger proportion of neurons in the IC is expected to fire in response to these sounds. Finally, sounds whose temporal scale was proportional to the frequency, in the range that we identified, evoked the highest firing rate in neurons in the primary auditory cortex (O'Connor et al., 2005).

A stream of chirps of a particular frequency and Q value will predominantly activate the central auditory neurons whose receptive fields exhibit the corresponding relationship between the spectral and temporal modulation frequency bandwidth. Thus, stage 1 of the cyclo-spectral template matching (CTM) model may be implemented within the primary auditory cortex, and further, the auditory cortex will be most strongly activated by the subset of stimuli that were judged as most natural in our study."
A little mathy.. But cool to know that water isn't just another sound.

Last edited:
I’ve always been of the opinion that an ego death is more or less just a tougher transfer from this reality to that loss-of-self state. This experience solidified that theory.

I know almost nothing about psychedelics, but this ego death concept sounds very similar to what I experienced in my near death experience I had when I had my last overdose. I always thought people who said they had one were exaggerating or or lying, but it was definitely real (at least I perceived it as real) and it completely altered the course of my life.

Are near death experiences and ego death similar, or completely different?

I know almost nothing about psychedelics, but this ego death concept sounds very similar to what I experienced in my near death experience I had when I had my last overdose. I always thought people who said they had one were exaggerating or or lying, but it was definitely real (at least I perceived it as real) and it completely altered the course of my life.

Are near death experiences and ego death similar, or completely different?

They can be very similar, it’s been a long time since I studied NDE’s but the commonalities between an ego death (especially on DMT) and an NDE are many in number. I remember my overall impression being that there is definitely a connection between the two states.

I believe that our bodies go through a process when we “know” we are going to die, to more or less prepare the soul for departure. With psychedelics the “knowing” comes from the drugs effects, in your case it’s actually happening.

You should share your experience some time because I’m fascinated with NDE’s and have studied them always wondering what the afterlife is really like..

My take on it, is that we go to a place that more or less matches our ideas of what heaven (or hell) is in our minds. If you grew up Christian you’ll see Jesus, if you grew up somewhere else with no knowledge of Christ you very likely won’t. Some even go to hell, but then those stories ALWAYS end with the person realizing god truly does love them and they aren’t forsaken.

If you feel like it of course!

-GC