Flame and Citron (2008) - Denmark
The Nazi Death Squads (2009) - France
All Quiet On The Western Front (2022) - Germany
Memory of the Camps (2015) - UK
The Forgotten Battle (2020) - Holland
Max Manus (2008) - Norway
Son of Saul (2015) - Hungary
Warsaw 44 (2014) - Poland

A note about subtitles : You have only to visit https://subtitlist.net/ , enter the movie name & year, cursor down until you find the English versions, select the file that most closely matches the file you already have (especially whether 720p or 1080p, and BluRay if you see that), and in the next screen click the download button.

Last edited:

I think this movie is so cool, and I can't even fully explain why. Going over the story it doesn't sound like much, but I love the acting and the overall premise. "No one ever sees you coming, do they Bob?"

For foreign movies some good ones are 1990's "Europa Europa" and from 2006 "The Lives of Others" [Das Leben der Anderen]. "The Raid: Redemption" (2011) was also really cool with some amazing fight scenes.

Back in the US, "The House of Sand and Fog"(2003) was also worth catching.

I think this movie is so cool, and I can't even fully explain why. Going over the story it doesn't sound like much, but I love the acting and the overall premise. "No one ever sees you coming, do they Bob?"

For foreign movies some good ones are 1990's "Europa Europa" and from 2006 "The Lives of Others" [Das Leben der Anderen]. "The Raid: Redemption" (2011) was also really cool with some amazing fight scenes.

If you like Tom Hardy, drop everything and see

Taboo (2017) 8 episodes
Child 44 (2015)

Naked Lunch (1991) based off of the story of william s. burroughs "naked lunch" book, or maybe it's a fantasy story about burroughs writing the book, not sure. i didn't really like reading burrough's writing for the most part, but i thought it was a really good movie. i remember renting it at blockbuster video in the early 2000s. i'd like to see it again. i wish it were on you tube.

Naked Lunch (1991) based off of the story of william s. burroughs "naked lunch" book, or maybe it's a fantasy story about burroughs writing the book, not sure. i didn't really like reading burrough's writing for the most part, but i thought it was a really good movie. i remember renting it at blockbuster video in the early 2000s. i'd like to see it again. i wish it were on you tube.

Europa Europa is excellent.

Thanks! :love:

If you like Tom Hardy, drop everything and see

Taboo (2017) 8 episodes
Child 44 (2015)

I've seen "Child 44". I'll have to check out 'Taboo'.
He was also good in "Locke" where even though he is talking to other people on the phone throughout, he is the only actor on screen. Not a hidden gem by any means, but my favorite movie with him is "Mad Max: Fury Road".
I'm into any type of movie, don't have any genres I wouldn't watch. Though, there are a few that I don't like as much or have to be in the right mood for, like some musicals or religious movies.

Europa Europa is excellent.

Thanks! :love:
Had you seen it before or did you just watch it? Definitely a good movie, the main character did such a great job with the role.
Funnily enough, I actually only heard of that movie because of a different movie which was also good. I don't know if you've ever seen the 1996 film "The Island of Dr. Moreau" with Val Kilmer and Marlon Brando, but it is terrible. However, years later they made a documentary about the making of 'The Island of Dr. Moreau'. It was called "Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau". If you like documentaries and cinema it's a good movie to check out. Anyways, the main character from "Europa Europa" is also in it.

@Carl Landrover

did you know Fury Road had about little to none CGI?
Yeah, it's one of that things that makes the movie that much more cool. The only scene with obvious CGI is when the War Machine (? it's been awhile) finally crashes and the flames of the explosion make a skull or something. I loved how much "Fury Road" seemed like an actual lived in world. They had those factions together trading Aqua Cola (water) and Mother's Milk with the Bullet Farmer who likely provided weapons. They had their own culture, getting high before sacrificing oneself "WITNESS ME!". Then to top it off, the one thing that everyone seems to comment on, they had a truck just to play music, with a guy whose guitar shot out flames!
Then there is the beautiful cinematography, but I don't have the knowledge or vocab to explain how great it was.
I heard Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron didn't get along on set, but I thought they were great in the movie. Furiosa was such a bad ass woman.

edit-- Rotten Tomatoes only gave it 63% but if you are an alcoholic and/or an addict (and especially if you're both) I think you'll really appreciate this one.
I feel like these sites can be ok to get a baseline feel for a movie, but sometimes they are just way off. I don't let low scores deter me from watching anymore. I try not to bash many movies because I understand how much work goes into making them, and maybe I'm just dumb and didn't get it or missed something in it. There is a movie from 2017 with a 91% on RT and a 66% audience score and it's called "A Ghost Story". It has Rooney Mara and Casey Affleck in it. Casey Affleck isn't in it much. Actually a ghost is in it for a good portion. A ghost like you might traditionally think of a ghost costume; an actor standing in a white sheet. There is also one of my favorite scenes in cinema, the few minutes where we watch Rooney Mara eat a pie.

If anyone likes this movie, I apologize. Maybe you can explain it to me. I found it kind of boring and somewhat pretentious. Rotten Tomatoes liked it apparently.

Had you seen it before or did you just watch it? Definitely a good movie, the main character did such a great job with the role.
Funnily enough, I actually only heard of that movie because of a different movie which was also good. I don't know if you've ever seen the 1996 film "The Island of Dr. Moreau" with Val Kilmer and Marlon Brando, but it is terrible. However, years later they made a documentary about the making of 'The Island of Dr. Moreau'. It was called "Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau". If you like documentaries and cinema it's a good movie to check out. Anyways, the main character from "Europa Europa" is also in it.
I'd not seen Europa Europa, just watched it. Do check out the War list I posted (I have a huge library on the subject), especially Black Book (2006) - Holland, Flame and Citron (2008) - Denmark, and Wolyn (2016) - Poland !

Just finished watching The Ascent (1977) - Russian. Definitely worth a look. Downloading Lost Soul & Fury Road now.

🙏

Last edited:
I'd not seen Europa Europa, just watched it. Do check out the War list I posted (I have a huge library on the subject), especially Black Book (2006) - Holland, Flame and Citron (2008) - Denmark, and Wolyn (2016) - Poland !

Just finished watching The Ascent (1977) - Russian. Definitely worth a look. Downloading Lost Soul & Fury Road now.

🙏

Oh cool! Something I said, had an effect on someone else and in a non-negative way. That makes me feel good!
I'll have to check out more of your suggestions. I have to be in the right frame of mind for war movies or else they don't have the same impact or make me feel depressed (more bummed out than depressed really).
I have a weird obsession with making lists, but they have to be quantifiable. So no "my 10 favorite movies", more like "List of Every Movie I can Recall Seeing". Then all those movies were split up by year, so I know how many movies I've seen from each year. It took a long time to create and I've just been updating it for 8-9 years now.
I keep track of all the films I watch. I few years ago I saw 477 new movies in a year. The last couple of years not as much, but I'm at least on pace for around 250 this year.
Um, this is going to sound crazy and I don't think you're him, but you weren't TB1243 (I don't remember the numbers) on another website back in the day? I know he was on BL around the time the other forum was ending. I think he was from NJ though, but people move. While on that topic, does the name John Dye (not the actor) mean anything to anyone here?