Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

films: Undiscovered Gems of Movies

Oh cool! Something I said, had an effect on someone else and in a non-negative way. That makes me feel good!
=D
I'll have to check out more of your suggestions. I have to be in the right frame of mind for war movies or else they don't have the same impact or make me feel depressed (more bummed out than depressed really).
Flame & Citron and Black Book (both dramas) are really great, so start with those!
I have a weird obsession with making lists, but they have to be quantifiable. So no "my 10 favorite movies", more like "List of Every Movie I can Recall Seeing".
Just starting to organize our collection of foreign films (around 160) by country, so it's easier to see which countries we need to target more. Pretty much all European right now, so we definitely need to branch out. :\
Then all those movies were split up by year, so I know how many movies I've seen from each year. It took a long time to create and I've just been updating it for 8-9 years now.
Wow. How many have you got?
I keep track of all the films I watch. I few years ago I saw 477 new movies in a year. The last couple of years not as much, but I'm at least on pace for around 250 this year.
We "preview" as many as 5 or 6 a day. I mean, if we don't care for a film, we move on after, say, 20 minutes. So we wind up watching 2-3 "new" movies (in full) every day.
Um, this is going to sound crazy and I don't think you're him, but you weren't TB1243 (I don't remember the numbers) on another website back in the day?
Not me.

So far we have like 180 American, 160 foreign, 150 war (all foreign), and 140 series (all foreign). We only save things we really like, so our collection is pretty solid, and growing all the time.

If you'd care to recommend any more great foreign films (or series), we'd really appreciate it. :kewl:

Great meeting you, by the way.

Last edited:
current_491_100_medium.jpg

Umberto D. (1952)​

See it!!

Africa addio 1966 by Gualtiero Giacopetti......Mondo Cane of same author too

Wow. How many have you got?

We "preview" as many as 5 or 6 a day. I mean, if we don't care for a film, we move on after, say, 20 minutes. So we wind up watching 2-3 "new" movies (in full) every day.
I believe I am up to 3767. The criteria is I have to have seen the whole movie, and it has to have been in an unedited form. By that I mean not edited on TV. Sometimes those cuts really change the tone of scenes in R rated movies. I also have to be able to remember something from it and if I saw it when I was younger, but didn't really understand I didn't count it. Like I remember watching "To Die For" when I must have been 10 or 11. It was promoted as a very "sexy" movie and quite honestly I think I watched it just hoping there would be boobs. This was pre-internet and boobs were much harder to see then. I also wouldn't have understood the characters motivations or issues as a 10yr old, so even if I paid attention I don't think I would have got the movie. I did re-watch it this year though, so it is now on the list.

2-3 new a day! Wow that's a lot! Do you keep track of what you've watched? I generally enjoy making lists for some reason, but it really helps keep track of what you've seen. Sometimes movie titles blend together with one another. I actually think the spreadsheet with the movies listed under the year they were made is more interesting.

So far we have like 180 American, 160 foreign, 150 war (all foreign), and 140 series (all foreign). We only save things we really like, so our collection is pretty solid, and growing all the time.

If you'd care to recommend any more great foreign films (or series), we'd really appreciate it. :kewl:
I really haven't watched as many foreign movies as I should. You likely have seen it and I don't know if it's considered a foreign movie because it's directed by Clint Eastwood but "Letters From Iwo Jima" was an excellent movie. It's from the Japanese point-of-view on Iwo Jima and majority of the movie is in Japanese with subtitles, so it feels like a foreign film.
There is a decent movie from Russia that I saw a few years ago, getting it in the mail from Netflix. In English it's called "The Return". I've been trying to figure out where I heard of it that made me put it on the queue to begin with. It's possible I heard of it here on BL, but I'm really not sure. If anyone has ever seen it I'd love to know what you thought about a number of things in it.
Great meeting you, by the way.

Nice meeting you as well! Always like meeting other people who really enjoy movies!

I believe I am up to 3767. The criteria is I have to have seen the whole movie, and it has to have been in an unedited form. By that I mean not edited on TV. Sometimes those cuts really change the tone of scenes in R rated movies. I also have to be able to remember something from it and if I saw it when I was younger, but didn't really understand I didn't count it.
Interesting.
2-3 new a day! Wow that's a lot! Do you keep track of what you've watched? I generally enjoy making lists for some reason, but it really helps keep track of what you've seen. Sometimes movie titles blend together with one another. I actually think the spreadsheet with the movies listed under the year they were made is more interesting.
It can definitely get confusing trying to recall the films we've previewed, but we do keep all the ones we like. Probably should make a note of the ones we discard. Your spreadsheet idea is a good one. Actually, I've been trying to figure out a way to link our file list with IMDB, so we have ready access to the all of that information. It seems there are quite a few movie collector forums, some with interesting tools. Any you'd care to recommend?​
I really haven't watched as many foreign movies as I should. You likely have seen it and I don't know if it's considered a foreign movie because it's directed by Clint Eastwood but "Letters From Iwo Jima" was an excellent movie. It's from the Japanese point-of-view on Iwo Jima and majority of the movie is in Japanese with subtitles, so it feels like a foreign film.
Being able to efficiently locate and download English subtitles is a really big deal for us. In case you've not already seen my note about that :
You have only to visit https://subtitlist.net/ , enter the movie name & year, cursor down to the English versions, select the file that most closely matches your movie file (720p, 1080p, and/or BluRay if you see that), and click the download button. Move the downloaded (zip) file to the same folder as your movie file, unzip that file there, re-name it with the same name as your movie file, but using the file extension, .srt​
There is a decent movie from Russia that I saw a few years ago, getting it in the mail from Netflix. In English it's called "The Return". I've been trying to figure out where I heard of it that made me put it on the queue to begin with. It's possible I heard of it here on BL, but I'm really not sure. If anyone has ever seen it I'd love to know what you thought about a number of things in it.
The Return (Vozvrashchenie) looks interesting. Downloading that now, thanks! What things are you referring to?

BTW, email me anytime at [email protected]

Last edited:
Boxer's Omen is a Shaw Bros film from 1983 and a batshit crazy mix of martial arts and horror. And Bolo Yeung is in it

......and the Greatest of the Genius Kim Kee Duk-"Moebius".The movie is without a single word.....The world of cinema lost one of his greatest authors imo from covid before two years in Latvia.R.I.P. Kim!!!U are GENIUS!

One from Japan I really like

In a strange bit of trivia, a video game of the same title which was released alongside the film helped inspire the “resident evil” video game franchise

I’m going to be commenting more in this thread, I have a pretty extensive knowledge of strange and interesting films, the only problem is remembering the titles lol

One of my all-time favorite movies, a truly bizarre film which wraps an empathetic and humanistic message about the search for identity in the crazed antics of Norwegian hillbillies, in a setting that is more similar to where I grew up than any other film I’ve ever seen, despite being set in a country far away from where I’m from (but not terribly far if you just hop across the North Pole). Highly recommended. I don’t think that the official release ever had English subs, but you can find fan subs in the torrent files online, at least last I checked

The plot description doesn’t do justice to how insane and over-the-top this film is. The main character, played with a manic intensity by Anthony Wong, engages in cannibalism, rape and delivers the most hilariously bizarre lines (which are translated from Cantonese to English in a very funny garbled manner in the subtitles) as he becomes a one-man transnational Ebola pandemic. One of the very best “Category III” films from Hong Kong.

Anthony Wong is kind of an interesting actor as I remember, as he starred in very bizarre and lurid Cat III films like this one and “The Untold Story,” but also totally mainstream, big budget blockbuster-type films.

56bb3248934723.58c7f38b13d0a.jpg

Golem, 1980'. Soviet

5d4273e9ba096a6166c2ce8f295cd1da.jpg

little-hell-gate-harlem-henry-farrer.jpg

f772e81d-1b9f-4f07-8599-d6ca251ee189_570.Jpeg

R.7856664841241811e352d19d95eb5937

Weirdsville (such a great wee flick hardly anyone’s seen).