Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

FILM: Union Square

lil angel15

Bluelight Crew
dvdcov.jpg

I realise this should be in Films and Television but I would like to get some discussion about this film from an Australian point of view. I found this film to be a raw, unsettling and confronting movie about how heroin addiction can destroy an individual.

"Stephen J. Szklarski’s documentary Union Square is a raw, hypnotic journey into the world of seven barely surviving New York City’s heroin addicts, who live on the sidewalks and in subway stations, and resort to panhandling, prostitution, and petty crime in order to buy their drugs, which they shoot up in filthy public toilets. The heroin chase has wrecked their lives with brutal efficiency, leading to the loss of homes, child custody, jobs, and self-respect, all of which is tragically related in an articulate and cogent manner by the subjects, who seem to be somewhere in their twenties or early thirties. No one here blames outside forces for their own problems – all acknowledge the self-destructive nature of their behavior. The fact that these are otherwise smart people, who have willingly imprisoned themselves into lives of squalor and misery, makes this a heartbreaking film to watch, and while the rough language and close-up focus on the preparation and injection of heroin may turn off some audiences, Union Square’s unflinching honesty results in one of the most chilling and accurate pictures of drug addiction."

This was certainly and interesting film to be watching after chewing on 10 or so HBWR.

Highly recommended :)

Last edited:
This is one of the few drug documentarys I think I don't have in my collection and I have heaps!. Last time I looked for it, I could only get it from the states. But I see that now you can buy it from ezydvd in australia. Did you happen to rent it?, I don't want to buy it, just rent it from a video store. and if you did rent it, from which video store?.

I'll will try and get back to this thread once I view it.

A friend of mine gave it to me to watch, however I believe you can now rent it from a few video places.