Votes: 3 6.1%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 16 32.7%

• Total voters
i was coming to post about this. i'm really not a jack black fan at all... but this looks freaking funny

so i saw it yesterday at a preview
awesome fucking movie, it was so funny and there are some people in it that you would never think of

I might have to see this. I saw the redband trailer and it looked really funny. These movies always disappoint but I am hoping its really hilarious!

steinanwine said:
I might have to see this. I saw the redband trailer and it looked really funny. These movies always disappoint but I am hoping its really hilarious!

Trust me, you wont be disappointed

Why the fuck they got him in black face? Really?

So they want a black man as one of the characters Are you tellin me, that there aint ONE black man that could play that part? You couldnt find ONE out of all the actors out there, that could possibly, in any way fill that role?

That shits fucked up. the movie looks funny, but i dont understand why they would do that. is it sum kind of novelty for ppl, oh ha ha, blackface is "politically in correct" so lets make it all ironic and shit? I aint sayin thats wat they doin, im asking cuz i honestly dont understand the need for that.

*sigh* wat is the deal wit that shit. Its like how they had Italians play native americans in the 50s, n white actors playin chinese, black, etc roles in the early 1900s. its disrespectful to think that there is a role for someone that they want to be a certain race and they want to portray that but they cant even allow a person who actually IS of that race to show that character? WTF kind of shit is that, how fuckin insulting can you possibly be to say that a person of that race aint even fit to properly represent that race the way that the directors want it and they only trust a white actor to "do it right" or sum shit? I dont get it yo.....SMH...

wait to see the movie lacey, from what i hear, the whole film was a parody of hollywood, so take that for what it is worth.

i can not WAIT to see this one.

lacey k said:

So they want a black man as one of the characters Are you tellin me, that there aint ONE black man that could play that part? You couldnt find ONE out of all the actors out there, that could possibly, in any way fill that role?

That shits fucked up. the movie looks funny, but i dont understand why they would do that. is it sum kind of novelty for ppl, oh ha ha, blackface is "politically in correct" so lets make it all ironic and shit? I aint sayin thats wat they doin, im asking cuz i honestly dont understand the need for that.

*sigh* wat is the deal wit that shit. Its like how they had Italians play native americans in the 50s, n white actors playin chinese, black, etc roles in the early 1900s. its disrespectful to think that there is a role for someone that they want to be a certain race and they want to portray that but they cant even allow a person who actually IS of that race to show that character? WTF kind of shit is that, how fuckin insulting can you possibly be to say that a person of that race aint even fit to properly represent that race the way that the directors want it and they only trust a white actor to "do it right" or sum shit? I dont get it yo.....SMH...

As Darthmom said, they are making fun of hollywood. I do not see Tropic Thunder as using a white man to play a black man because of racism, or because the casting directors are anything like those of the early 1900s or 1950s. They are not using a white man because they do not think there is a suitable black man out there to play the role or because they think a white man can do it better, it is a comedy, not a serious movie. Now that is not to say that it isn't offensive but I do not think the intentions are anywhere nearing those of early directors.

It is definitely not the case that they "only trust a white actor to 'do it right'", its for comedic purposes and there are other black actors in the movie. I do not think it's as cut and dry as you are seeing it. I dunno, I would give the movie a chance, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Robert Downey in blackface is funny for the same reason men in drag are funny: because it toys with our expectations, increasing the comedic frisson. A black guy in the same role saying the same lines might still be funny, but it would lack that transgressive spark that breaks the fourth wall and forces us to confront our own preconceptions.

At least, that's what I'm hoping this movie delivers. :)

lacey k said:
*sigh* wat is the deal wit that shit. Its like how they had Italians play native americans in the 50s, n white actors playin chinese, black, etc roles in the early 1900s. its disrespectful to think that there is a role for someone that they want to be a certain race and they want to portray that but they cant even allow a person who actually IS of that race to show that character?

What if the role is that of a white person disguised as a black person?

Did you find it offensive when Dave Chappelle dressed up as white people? Could white people have played those roles, or wouldn't that have been funny? (I didn't find it offensive and I thought it was damn funny btw.)

And isn't acting supposed to be about portraying different characters and identities from one's own?

Do you think that when men dress up as women in movies today, it is due to "similar" intentions to when only men played roles in theatre (before about 1660)? (Because I don't generally think it is. As was mentioned, when men dress up as women in movies nowadays it's often for comedic reasons - more so than for the same sexist reasons anyway.)

srsly, offensiveness to blackface is so 100 years ago, it isn't done for the same reason, which makes it an entirely different situation.

this wasn't "blackface" in the historical sense. i find this incredibly obvious and am quite shocked you would make the comparison lace.

lacey k said:

you fail on so many levels

OK. Screw the whole "racist" bullshit. I mean, for that to be an issue, you clearly haven't seen the movie or missed the point entirely. Hell, even the only black guy in the movie pointed it out. I thought it was one of the funniest parts of the movie.

The two things I didn't expect at all were some of the funniest moments of the movie:
NSFW:
The faux commercial and trailers before the movie. Jack Black's trailer was a little flat, but the others were dead on.

Also, when the director stepped on the landmine. It was dead quit in the theater. No one knew what the fuck had just happened. Then, everyone started to laugh, still not knowing what the fuck happened. It reminded me of the cat scene in Boondock Saints. Fucking funny.

Go see it if you need a good laugh!