Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (Gilliam)

Rate eet.

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/2stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Banquo

Bluelight Crew
It doesn't matter if this film turns out to be a mess. It will be good to see any finished film by Terry Gilliam. It seems that with Gilliam being a former animator his strengths have always involved the use of old-school props, models, and rotoscoping. These are things that he knows how to make look dark and weird. At the same time, no studio has been willing to gamble a large enough budget on him so that he can do the good CGI that his vision probably deserves. Ahh...we are living in a Michael Bay world, after all.

Director: Terry Gilliam
Writers: Terry Gilliam and Charles McKeown

Johnny Depp - Tony
Heath Ledger - Tony
Colin Farrell - Tony
Jude Law - Tony
Christopher Plummer - Dr. Parnassus

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXv9Kgb59xM

Release:
Oct. 16

Why is Terry Gilliam cursed with bad luck?

gilliam460.jpg

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that a law exists, etched in stone in some dusty Hollywood courthouse, decreeing that if tragedy or disaster is to strike somewhere - anywhere - in the world of film-making, its repercussions must extend to Terry Gilliam.

Heath Ledger was in the middle of shooting the latest Gilliam film, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (summarised here), when he passed away last week.

Ledger wasn't the film's lead but the role was important and his involvement, according to Variety, was a "key factor in raising the finance", which when you consider Gilliam's track record was the not-inconsiderable sum of $30m. Production got under way in London last month and bluescreen work was due to commence in Vancouver next week and go on till March. That has now been postponed indefinitely, reports say.

It had to be Gilliam, didn't it? He's the film-making equivalent of Unlucky Alf from The Fast Show, soldiering on as project after project collapses on his head. Not all of them have been jinxed of course. The Fisher King was nominated for five Oscars. Twelve Monkeys and The Brothers Grimm, which also starred Ledger, fared well at the box office. But The Onion didn't run the headline Terry Gilliam Barbeque Plagued by Production Delays for
nothing.

The marvellous Brazil was caught in the crossfire between Gilliam and Universal, who in their wisdom felt it would work better with a happy ending. The Adventures of Baron Munchausen went magnificently over budget, doubling its spend from $23m to $46m and recouping only $8m at the box office. Time Bandits 2 stalled because a number of the actors from the original Time Bandits had died. Planned adaptations of A Tale of Two Cities and Watchmen never saw daylight either, owing to a rich variety of problems.

The biggest catastrophe, by some margin, was The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, certainly one of the most intriguing movies never made. All that remains is the documentary Lost in La Mancha, which records how Spanish military aircraft kept flying overhead at critical moments, and how poor Jean Rochefort, who'd spent seven months learning English in order to play the Don, developed a double hernia after a few days on horseback and had to return to Paris. They even experienced flash floods - presumably the frogs and locusts were on their way but the film folded soon after Rochefort's departure.

Now it looks like Doctor Parnassus is heading in the same direction - and it's a crying shame. Gilliam's a fine director when he negotiates a balance between studio interference (victim: The Brothers Grimm) and the extremes of his own imagination (victim: Tideland). The current project does - did? - sound a little on the zany side, as the title hints, but the script is by Charles McKeown, who wrote Brazil, and the cast looked great, with Christopher Plummer in the titular role. And Tom Waits as the devil! What more do you need?

Gilliam must have broken a job lot of mirrors at some point early in his career, but let's pray that the effects will wear off soon. In the meantime, can you think of a less fortunate film-maker?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2008/jan/28/gilliam

Highly anticipating this. The fact that four different actors are playing one role makes it appeal to me even more. It worked for Todd Solondz "Palindromes"...

yeah i love gilliam's stuff, except tideland which was just too uncomfortable for me. what i don't get is why he doesn't create lower budgeted stuff and self fund/produce? with his skilled eye, before long he'd be funding his own current budget films.

He didn't have a high enough budget for Brazil for what he wanted to do. Gilliam always needs pretty damn high budgets considering his creative vision. If you look into the sections of his films that were removed by the studios due to being too expensive and therefore unrealistic given buget constraints, you'll see what I mean. When he storyboards, he doesn't limit himself to what he thinks he can achieve. This is one of the major reasons he continually runs into problems with his projects. He's a dreamer.

Most of his films couldn't have been made without huge studio cash (Baron Munchausen is the best example). I guess he doesn't want to go backwards and make little projects for 10 years in order to do what he can already do now.

(Tideland was wonderful.)

fantastic.

if that old indigenous culture is correct (i forget which) and that human eyes don't sense external stimuli, rather that they project the world from within, i'd imagine this film is what would be projected around mr gilliam. it's like his munchausen imagination was given free reign to a huge budget and no restriction.

loved every minute
5/5

^
so lucky. it looks like wide release is not until Christmas in the U.S.

it's like his munchausen imagination was given free reign to a huge budget and no restriction.
sounds like a future favourite movie

I saw the trailer last time I went to the movies and I am totally psyched to see this one.

So whats the word? It was at a film fest but sold out. Cast looks great. Tom Waits as the Devil, who else? Anyone seen this? The preview makes it look like garbage imho.

i didn't even realize i had seen most of the movies he's directed, and enjoyed them all, so i will definitely see this one. i heard heath ledger was making an appearance? it's really a shame he's gone, his comic roles are so fucking awesome. damn. he could have easily been the best actor of this coming decade bar none

saw this film today on a bowl of good weed

hands down, craziest fucking shit i've ever seen. camerawork and special effects are stunning for the way they remind you of dreaming. somehow captures that magical land inside our brains that affects the mundane world around us. symbols, religious themes are absolutely amazing. heath ledger is great. you get to see what it's like to have a ++++ trip.

six stars, if that's even possible. go and see this movie RIGHT NOW. and if you have acid, drop it first :) although i'm sure you could get to a contact high ++ just by watching it in the right mindset.

edit: if you read the reviews on rottentomatoes.com, it's funny to see the line drawn between people who get it and people who don't. it's definitely not a feel-good movie with a typical plot-- he's gambling with the devil so we know the ending is not going to be all sunshine.

lived up to all the expectations i could have had if i had taken the time to get some

100% terry gilliam at his best

you get to see what it's like to have a ++++ trip.
it definitely looks like someone recorded a heavy trip on film

but it definitely has nothing to do with a ++++ (if you're thinking about shulgin's scale)
a ++++ is not about how strong or crazy an experience is

no need to write again descriptions that you can find in other threads in the psychedelics forum

a +, ++ and +++ are proportional to the intensity of an experience

whereas ++++ is used to describe something that, although overwhelmingly intense, in not intense in a way related to the +, ++ and +++

I just saw this and absolutely LOVED it!

It reminds me of many recurring themes with Ketamine.

LOVED Tom Waits :D.

Was quite decent. Not up to Gilliam's normal standards & Ledger's accent was a complete mess.

But Tom Waits as the devil is inspired.

An absolute disaster of a film.

"Gilliam has such an incredible imagination! Wow, big high heeled shoes and a river that turns into a snake. Oooooh, tell us more about the incredible Imaginarium oh genius creator! What's next? A man with big ears? A mountain that speaks? What incredible visions!"

The devil has a gun (that looks like something out of the old Batman TV show) that seals people's lips so they can't tell the story that keeps imagination alive.

The character Dr. Parnassus is about as interesting as a Scooby Doo villian.

The actors playing Ledger's part change throughout the film, whereas most of the other characters who go through the window don't change. (Conti-fucking-nuity, anyone?)

Everything that Gilliam failed to say with this film has already been said by his previous films. With ''Parnassus'' he went backwards from ''Tideland'' all the way to ''Munchausen'' to make a tribute to himself (and failed miserably in the process.)

There are two TERRIBLE Terry Gilliam films: ''Brothers Grimm'' and ''The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus''.

I don't know which is worse.