Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

tribal girl

Bluelight Crew
jessejames.jpg

Director: Andrew Dominik

Writers: Andrew Dominik (screenplay)
Ron Hansen (novel)

Cast: Brad Pitt, Casey Affleck, Sam Shepard, Mary-Louise Parker.

Plot outline: Robert Ford joins Jesse James's gang, only to become resentful of the legendary outlaw and hatch a plan to kill the fastest gun in the West.

Runtime: 160 mins

Trailer: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qp2ppYB9fDo

Looks good
14.gif

i thought i made a thread about this a couple years back (they made it ages ago).

finally the next film by the director of "chopper".

Fantastic film. Beautifully shot, paced, played on all accounts.

A VERY patient film that pays off in spades. Or it would have if the two heffers in the row in front of me could contain themselves. they spent the entire first half of the film busting with giggles. at some stages they were literally covering their faces attempting to hold themselves together in futility. pissed me completely off. they left halfway through. I enjoyed the rest of the film immensely but my experience was practically wasted.

anyway great film. i highly recommend it.

Last edited:
This is a good but flawed film that is part plagiarism and part homage to Terrence Malick.

If you love Malick and think of his slow moving epics as masterpieces, then you will love this. If you think Malick's films are self-indulgent exercises in bloated philosophizing, this is not the movie for you. I have one foot in each camp, so the movie strikes me as very strong in parts and very weak in others.

The undeniable strength of the film is its scorching visual beauty. Cinematographer Roger Deakins lost out on the Academy Award to himself for his work on No Country For Old Men, but his effort here was just as deserving. The two standout sequences include the opening 3 1/2 minutes of exposition and the Blue Cut train robbery scene, particularly the approach of the train as it casts fluid ethereal shadows on the masked faces of the bandits. The shot of Jesse James emerging from the steam like a halogen sphinx gave me goose bumps. The rest of the 160 minutes basically features non-stop gorgeous visual compositions; sophomore director Andrew Dominik wisely allows us to linger on the lyrical aestheticism of these shots, which slows the movie down and gives it a ponderous tilt, but it's worth it if you have the attention span for it.

Malick's love of nature imagery and sweeping landscapes bleeds through heavily. Unfortunately, the film mirrors the shortcomings of Days of Heaven and other Malick films; specifically the dialogue, acting and plot are not up to the task of carrying the scenery. The movie draws on Badlands, a genuine Malickian masterpiece, for its themes of celebrity iconography, social deviancy and its rumination on the American West and the outlaw archetype. The problem is the movie is trying a little too hard to plumb the depths of the source material; a movie is not a book and it never will be. If the director doesn't know where one ends and the other begins, the effort is probably going to fall flat on its face.

The Assassination of Jesse James is not helped by the miscasting of many parts. The brilliant and inimitable Sam Shepard (who starred in Days of Heaven, coincidentally) as Frank James is the only one of the bunch that nails it, and he's only in this movie for 5 minutes. Casey Afleck as Bob Ford is appropriately creepy but uneven. You could see the effort and the machinery of the performance; unlike Anthony Perkins who makes you believe he is and always has been Norman Bates, Afleck's Robert Ford seems at times like an actor playing an obsessed loony. Brad Pitt likewise is not up to the task of carrying the role of Jesse James. It's a hard part, asking someone to humanize a myth; I love Pitt in a couple movies, but when a role demands a certain amount of gravitas or depth, he doesn't seem to be the right man for the job. Maybe he's too good looking. Pitt is good, but he's not great, which is what's needed for this part to carry the film. Other minor characters, especially Paul Schneider as Dick Liddil, are pretty much garbage. James Carville makes a nice cameo and I have no complaints about Sam Rockwell's performance.

The best way to describe this was that everything about the narrative and characterization is just a little bit out of joint and off kilter. Not surprisingly, this is the same criticism I have of Malick's films. They want to be transcendent; Malick wants to pull you into his world of dense philosophy and abstractions about the human soul (the guy was going for an advanced degree in philosophy before he was ensnared by the first generation of New Hollywood filmmakers) and make you marinate in them. And sometimes that works and its brilliant and you are hailed as a genius. And sometimes it doesn't work and you are left with a gorgeous film that tries to express the totality of human nature and ends up spitting little pieces of it out instead.

Last edited:
^as usual, your reviews are a pleasure to read. thanks mate.

The Assassination of Jesse James is not helped by the miscasting of many parts. The brilliant and inimitable Sam Shepard (who starred in Days of Heaven, coincidentally) as Frank James is the only one of the bunch that nails it, and he's only in this movie for 5 minutes. Casey Afleck as Bob Ford is appropriately creepy but uneven. You could see the effort and the machinery of the performance; unlike Anthony Perkins who makes you believe he is and always has been Norman Bates, Afleck's Robert Ford seems at times like an actor playing an obsessed loony. Brad Pitt likewise is not up to the task of carrying the role of Jesse James. It's a hard part, asking someone to humanize a myth; I love Pitt in a couple movies, but when a role demands a certain amount of gravitas or depth, he doesn't seem to be the right man for the job. Maybe he's too good looking. Pitt is good, but he's not great, which is what's needed for this part to carry the film. Other minor characters, especially Paul Schneider as Dick Liddil, are pretty much garbage. James Carville makes a nice cameo and I have no complaints about Sam Rockwell's performance.

I can perhaps agree on the Brad Pitt point - even though I personally thought he made a damn fine Jesse James - there's absolutely no way I can accept criticism of Casey Affleck's portrayal of Robert Ford, he was absolutely majestic and robbed of an Oscar. Comparisons to Norman Bates are a little off, I think; Casey Affleck elicits empathy from the viewer, along with a host of other feelings and it's no mean feat to feel heartbroken for a murderer. You seem like a really intelligent viewer who really gave this film a chance so I'm surprised by your assessments.

I found this film to be unwatchable. Casey Affleck is possibly the worst actor that has ever lived. He mumbles every line of dialogue. It doesn't matter who his character is, he mumbles. He mumbles like a disengaged teenager. I haven't found a single perfomance of his to be believable.

There are a lot of actors who've got where they are (at least partially) due to being directly related to other actors/film-makers who've already established themselves in the industry. Nicolas Cage (real name Nicolas Coppola - nephew of Francis Ford Coppola) is a good example of this. But, unlike Affleck's annoying little brother, Cage has IMO more than earned his place in cinema. He isn't just riding his uncles coat tails.

Some actors can get away with having no range. Casey Affleck is not one of them. He should not be cast in films or, failing that, he should be cast selectively. He should only get work when the role calls for a mumbling idiot and there is no-one else available.