Votes: 12 20.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 25 41.7%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters

Alien

Bluelighter
I saw this a couple of weeks ago and it's been a long time since I laughed so much in the cinema, what does everyone else think of it?

If you haven't yet seen it, then I definitely recommend it :)

Enjoyable, not classic by any means. The dialogue is a bit predictable and the characters are just carictatures. But still, very funny, got a lot of laughs from the audience including myself. I guess I was a little disappointed because I saw it at a festival and was maybe expecting something a bit less mainstream.

But overall, a good laugh. Worth getting on DVD, anyway.

Film: Thankyou for Smoking

rate this movie

alasdair

funny, well put together movie with a ton of great moments.

best parts probably rob lowe as the producer and the merchants of death meetings

I saw this in the theatre a while back. I definitely enjoyed it, as did most of the theatre from the amount of laughter throughout. I definitely wouldn't mind watching it again once it comes out on DVD.

i thought this was wonderful.

i saw it as a preview before the melbourne international film festival, so i managed to catch it before any of the hype had built up (it was eventually voted best film of the fest - out of about three hundred or so showing).

it's been criticised for fitting too much on the fence in terms of its morality (which is tough since it's supposed to be a satire), but personally i think it's just taking a particularly nuanced and subtle approach to its subject matter. naylor is neither evil nor entirely innocent; i think he realises that too.

and isn't that how life is?

aside from that, it's really well acted, goddamn funny, and pretty well shot too.

i agree with sim0n, the movie was good but not great. i prolly won't buy it on DVD unless it makes it way to the $10 bin.

^same goes here.
I definitely enjoyed it and it is well made, only the tone of the satire is pretty even all the way through. There are no outright hilarious nor outright unfunny scenes, which i'd prefer over a constant giggle.
3/5

i thought this was great. one of my favourite scenes would have been when he was with his son and he was teaching him how to win an argument and was using the chocolate vs vanilla ice cream debate as an example. the film basically manages to give the audience almost like a step by step guide on 'how to manipulate people well', thus in a sense it also openly uncovers exactly how we are all more or less being manipulated on a day to day bases, and in turn perhaps in doing so sets markers up for what people should be looking for so that they become better at spoting when they are being manipulated. and the fact that it manages to do all this in a humorous way just gives it even more quality, imho.

It's good satire. Clever and well-acted.

I didn't find it to be a belly laugh kind of movie, but was amused throughout. The film is an interesting exercise in rhetoric and debate, something that is often overlooked in contemporary society despite the fact that marketing strategies significantly impact the way we understand and interact with the world around us.

I agree with the good but not great crowd.

Duvall was great.

drEaMtiMe*@# said:
one of my favourite scenes would have been when he was with his son and he was teaching him how to win an argument and was using the chocolate vs vanilla ice cream debate as an example. the film basically manages to give the audience almost like a step by step guide on 'how to manipulate people well', thus in a sense it also openly uncovers exactly how we are all more or less being manipulated on a day to day bases, and in turn perhaps in doing so sets markers up for what people should be looking for so that they become better at spoting when they are being manipulated. and the fact that it manages to do all this in a humorous way just gives it even more quality, imho.

And then when they are on the ferris wheel you notice that both he and his son are eating vanilla which I thought was a great symbol for what you are saying and how we too often buckle to this sort of manipulation even when we know it is happening.

All in all a solid movie but doesn't seem like something I would want to watch more than once or twice. I loved the part where David Koechner pulls a gun out in the restaurant in front of the kid =D =D =D

"can anyone be a lobbyist"
"well, no. you see, it takes a certain moral flexibility that's beyond most people"
"oh... do I have flexible morals?"

But man overdosing on nicotine has to be the shittiest time ever. I remember passing out with a fat wad of chew in my lip when I didnt have a tolerance. uh, lame

Film: Thank you for smoking

I watched this movie out of boredom and inability to sleep after a trip and a horrible occourance. I was really impressed with the quality of the writing and the content and style of themovie itsself. Has anyone else seen it, what did you think??

sorry about the new thread, I think I misspelled something, so nothing came up with a search:\

Last edited:
Wish I had of watched the movie before I read a whole bunch of articles about it or heard countless people talking it up.

Liked it but was expecting a whole lot more

"I'm his dad, youre just the guy fucking his mom"