Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

Benefit

Bluelighter
This is a film that transcends the power of description. You cannot really describe Marlon Brando's performance as Stanley Kowalski. You have to see it. Brando's animal magnetism, his charisma, his charm, his brutality, his effortless grace, the hint of insanity. This was the first movie I've ever watched where I could not take my eyes off of an actor. Virtually every scene featuring Brando, from his introduction, to the more conventionally famous "STELLAAAA" scene, to the climactic rape scene; they are all flawless. Method acting had arrived.

I believe this is the best acting performance of all time. Henry Fonda turned in some great performances in the 1940s, but Brando is still miles ahead of him and hundreds of miles ahead of Humphrey Bogart, Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne and everyone else of the era. Maybe someone revolutionized acting before Brando and to a greater degree. If so, I don't know about it and please enlighten me.

The source material for Streetcar also provides for some of its greatness. The virtuosity of the eminently talented Tennessee Williams bleeds through everywhere, and the fact that they transposed the stage play to the screen largely intact (cast included) was a wonderful creative decision as it maintained the continuity. The introduction of Vivien Leigh, who I have never considered very talented, was a questionable decision but she is at least passable as neurotic Blanche DuBois (apparently she was a nut in real life, too). Lots of memorable lines.

I would give anything to go back in time and see the original stage production of this play, but I will have to content myself with masturbating to fading memories of an obese Marlon Brando eating Italian ice on Santa Monica Blvd.

I appreciate that this movie has some great acting and all from Brando and Leigh. But I personally have trouble watching any movie that has no sympathetic characters. And this movie has none.

supertrav77 said:
I appreciate that this movie has some great acting and all from Brando and Leigh. But I personally have trouble watching any movie that has no sympathetic characters. And this movie has none.

You didn't like Mitch?

Check out Gore Vidal's book "Palimpsest" (I know that's spelled wrong, but it's one of those words only Gore knows, anyway) for a great candid photo of a young, wasted Brando picking his nose, idly.

And Vidal in a few places, for heartfelt tributes to his dear friend, Thomas Lanier "Tennessee" Williams, greatest of American Playwrites.

fasteddie said:
You didn't like Mitch?

Check out Gore Vidal's book "Palimpsest" (I know that's spelled wrong, but it's one of those words only Gore knows, anyway) for a great candid photo of a young, wasted Brando picking his nose, idly.

And Vidal in a few places, for heartfelt tributes to his dear friend, Thomas Lanier "Tennessee" Williams, greatest of American Playwrites.

I like Gore Vidal. Myra Breckenridge is a misunderstood classic.

supertrav77 said:
I like Gore Vidal. Myra Breckenridge is a misunderstood classic.

I love the American History novels, also the pagan stuff like "Julian" and "Creation." His more experimental stuff, like "Duluth" and "Kalki"... never caught my interest.

Wonderful film. Watched it last night. I put it off for so long because I had heard negative things about it and thought that it would be too dated for me to be able to relate to, but I was dead wrong. Although it's set in a different time, it's still relevant today. The themes are completely universal.

Also it's beautifully written and the acting is superb to boot.

At first I thought that Vivien Leigh was overacting a bit and maybe she was but it all makes sense in the end. Highly recommended to anyone that can appreciate a good film... You don't have to love the classics to check this out.

4/5

did anyone have to study this(book version/play/movie) at school? I liked it the first time...but by 20 views i was just repulsed by stanley, felt pity/sad for Blanche and grossed out that Stella would go back to Stanley, side bar, the Simpsons episode where marge plays blanche cracked me up...

^"Don't ever leave me baby".

I <3 that scene, it chokes me up every time.

Fiercely strong performances, but you can kinda tell it was adapted from a stage play. All the same, it was a work of brilliance. Absolutely adore every single one of Elia Kazan's films I've ever seen too.