Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

film: shutter island

Rate it

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/1star.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Been looking forward to this since I heard about it a few months ago. Scorsese and DiCaprio are two of my favs in Hollywood. I'll be seeing it soon.

I saw it on Saturday, very very disappointing.

I really was expecting a psychological thriller, with experiments on the criminaly insane and such. What I got was 2 hours of talk talk talk. While it was interesting, it really never climaxed to a thrilling conclusion. Sure there was a twist at the end, but that was the most exciting part of the film, and then it was over.

I gave it two stars, because like I said I was expecting much more action then what it gave me. If you are really into two hours of talking, then go see it.

It wasn't a bad movie, and obvoiusly the majority seemed to really like it, I don't know, the previews made it look kinda scary, and it's not scary at all.

And on a side note, for what it's worth, there IS penis in the movie, but no breasts or female nudity. I know it's shallow for me to make this remark, but this is a trend I've been seeing for a few years now that I don't like.

Did anyone else find this movie hugely predictable?

well no shit it was predictable, they only presented you with 2 possible outcomes so you had a 50% chance of getting it right. that doesnt mean it still wasnt a powerful movie.

well no shit it was predictable, they only presented you with 2 possible outcomes so you had a 50% chance of getting it right. that doesnt mean it still wasnt a powerful movie.

NSFW:
Sorry, I was mostly referring to him ending up in the lighthouse. I wasn't refering to him being crazy or not. Also, Mark Ruffalo's character being a doctor was pretty obvious. Personally, I would've like him to be staring at a lighthouse, imagining the whole thing as the ending.

Went and saw this last weekend. I really gotta stop going to the movies high as a kite, cuz $10 is too expensive to keep walking out of that theater totally baffled. :|

And all I had was a lil poppy pod tea, 2 mg Xanax and a bowl or two of (admittedly powerful) cannabis.

I am getting feebleminded in my old age. Gonna try Shutter Island again with a clear head this weekend.

Great film. Very close to home for me at the moment. Brought me to tears.

Scorsese effectively breathes life back into a fairly tired and (yes) predictable narrative structure. It's nothing new, but then again very little is given how many stories have been told. And it's not trying to be new. Stylistically I liked the way it integrated the 1950s feel (1950s cinema that is) into a contemporary horror context. It felt like a homage to an era when horror films were largely about people and fear rather than blood and masked, one dimensional villains. Beautiful performances, particularly from DiCaprio. For once, he's looking a bit older. Maybe he's getting over that whole weird Michael J Fox ageless thing.

I can't think of another director who, after 50 years making films, made their first horror film. It's a difficult genre. And he pulled it off, the smart ass. With flying colors.

5/5

Great film. Very close to home for me at the moment. Brought me to tears.

Scorsese effectively breathes life back into a fairly tired and (yes) predictable narrative structure. It's nothing new, but then again very little is given how many stories have been told. And it's not trying to be new. Stylistically I liked the way it integrated the 1950s feel (1950s cinema that is) into a contemporary horror context. It felt like a homage to an era when horror films were largely about people and fear rather than blood and masked, one dimensional villains. Beautiful performances, particularly from DiCaprio. For once, he's looking a bit older. Maybe he's getting over that whole weird Michael J Fox ageless thing.

I can't think of another director who, after 50 years making films, made their first horror film. It's a difficult genre. And he pulled it off, the smart ass. With flying colors.

5/5

dont take this the wrong way but i lurk the film/television forum a lot and ive noticed you are very critical and often your comments pertain more so to not liking a movie, so I was interested in seeing what you had to say on this one because I was was wondering how anyone could not like it.

in my opinion its probably one of the best "horror" movies ive ever seen. It kills me how the critics are treating this one. this movie was a well crafted classic.

^I tend to have very strong opinions about films a lot of the time. I either love them or I hate them. Recently I've praised a lot of films on F&T. For example I liked 'Moon', 'The Men Who Stare at Goats', 'Anti-Christ', 'Revolutionary Road', 'Inglourious Basterds', 'Coraline', etc. I don't remember trashing any films recently. I trash a lot of US television, but that's just because it's garbage and it rots peoples brains.

As far as I'm concerned, the reason the critics are so harsh on "Shutter Island" is because it was directed by Scorsese. Same thing with "Kundun" and "The King of Comedy", though the latter isn't really on the same level in terms of accomplishment.

I love Scorsese, but personally I don't want to see another Deniro/ Scorsese gangster film (apparently there's one in the works...)

I really like what he's been doing recently. It takes a lot of guts when you're established in a particular genre to shift so late in your career. You have to expect negative responses really, regardless of the quality of your work.

4/5 from me. I enjoyed it quite a lot however there was a group of teens in the session I saw, sitting in the front row at the cinema squealing, laughing, giggling and talking throughout the whole film which really killed the atmosphere.

I do think a little too much was explained in the last 15 minutes and as such it was dumbed-down a bit. Come on... a chalk board to explain a trivial point? I loved the very last line of the film though; brought the end together nicely.

Probably the second best movie I've seen DiCaprio in after the departed :)

I want to see this film, not convinced I will love it, but I'll give it a chance

OK, saw it again.... pretty impressive. Definitely creates a mood and runs with it.

Just started the book, too. :)

DiCaprio is getting to be a better and better actor with age.... got a lot of respect for that man.

Wasn't impressed. Saw a very similar movie called "The Lazarus Project "

i'm glad i didn't click into this thread for a while. i purposely left it alone despite its regular bumping. jake99 is a person i'd seriously punch in the face if i could.

well said, thedeceased. despite the questionably convoluted plot and obviousness, it was fuckin tense from start to finish. BEAUTIFULLY constructed by all involved. and it's still fucking with my head. struck me alarmingly close to home too. i wonder if straights understand movies of this kind, of which there are many.

4/5

I thought it was excellent. but all the dramatic music nearly gave me a fucking heart attack haha 4*