Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

film: shutter island

Rate it

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/1star.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Excellent film. Really was entertained, I gave it a 4 above, but might even reach a 5.

It wasn't very original (reminded me a lot of
NSFW:
The Ninth Configuration
) but I enjoyed it too much to care about that.

This movie made me feel insane. admittedly i was feeeling a little sensitive anyway.

watched it today. i thought it started off very strong but lost its power the longer it went on.

i did think that it tailed off in a rather predictable fashion but i recognise that it's very easy to say that after seeing a film. still, it looked good, decaprio was great and the tension, while it lasted, was excellent.

alasdair

^Really? Hmmm....thats a bummer.
I really looked forward to seeing this when it came out on DVD.
I'm sure I will still see it- the trailer looks awesome.

I kinda saw the twist coming
somehow, me too...
because there's a one-neuron loser who blew it on the first page with 2 questions that don't even have a reason to be
NSFW:
since the ending doesn't leave you with a choice

spoilers n shit
NSFW:
i still think this movie is about a secret government experiment/operation that systematically drives people insane. :p

Yea i totally forgot about this. The only preview I've seen was when I saw Avatar in the theaters. I love everything Scoressi has done. Di Caprio has really come into his own since The Gangs of New York imo, he's great. I'm glad that I'm so easily amused by epic cimetography. :) Thanks for this thread, it was an instant re-reminder.

Watched this last night having been meaning to watch it for the last two months. In short, it's a beautifully shot film and I would agree that it renders the 1950s feel really well. The performances are well-delivered and suitably balanced for the "both sides of the coin" element of the story.

However, the film was one big cock tease. The score and sound effects throughout the film were effective in maintaining tension, but invariably led nowhere. For example: haunting strings on the approach to the asylum, reaches a crescendo and... ummmm... a nice garden with people planting flowers. I 'get' what that achieves in terms of making the viewer unsettled, but done repeatedly, it really set a precedent for the ending in some ways - lots of tension that, sadly, sort of fizzles away.

It's also quite convoluted in places and seems to get trapped in its own internal logic. I suppose one might suggest that's a defining quality of psychosis, but it's to the detriment of the story being told. There's a slight absence of clarity of purpose in certain scenes which (although it may argued was a requirement for the film's central themes) led to what appears to be some awkward editing in post-production. I don't feel like they captured on film 100% of what they needed to tell the story well. Being confusing or ambiguous doesn't necessarily equate with intelligent film-making.

That said, it's about a million times better than most of the thriller/horror films that are pumped out these days. It's actually a very good film and probably well worth the time it demands for a second (or third) viewing... but it just lacks a certain amount of coherence in places that would have elevated it to something else.

I hear what you're saying, but I think the film was aware of it's own limitations. To me, it didn't try to be astounding, to defy predictability. The script wasn't particularly original. It was just, IMO, an exceptionally well told story.

I don't think Scorsese will ever be what he once was, but he's pretty close. In comparison to most aged genius directors, anyway.

truly genius film. the open-interpretation variety. the kind of art that tells one more about an interpreter than it does about the artist or the work of art itself. GENIUS!

film is all about the state vs the individual

Very good self-contained movie. Perfectly executed in the sense that re-watching it doesn't reveal any characters acting sinister for being sinister's sake - they are just complying with the plan to help the patient and further their psychiatric goals - which, regarding the two main antagonists, is actually quite admirable.

On second viewing it plays out almost like a comedy at points, since the plight is all constructed and at times the players are just improvising to keep the game going. Sidelong glances and stuff take on perfect meaning with regard to what they actually are, and how people would actually communicate while conspiring in this form of therapy.