rate this film:

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/1star.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/2stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

shake

Bluelighter
Ok after hearing alil about this mvie this morning and how dark some of the actual rape incest scenes are in this film have any of you actually seen it and what are your thoughts or comments about it? I had no idea that this movie centered around a family and a young girl who has had 2 kids by her father after being raped and her 2nd kid was born with down syndrome thus giving the kid the name mongo. i dunno just the bits and piece i have heard discussed about this movie just seems like its prolly one of the darkest most depressing movies put out this year. any thoughts i didnt see a thread discussing this movie yet or atleast my search came up with nothing

Saw this movie last night. I thought it was good. 3 stars. Kinda show how parents are the most important thing is someone's life.

Really well made film. Unusual subject matter. Whoever plays the mother is incredible in the role. But the film goes too far. It ceases to be believable towards the end. After watching it, I was thinking 'does this film actually represent anyone?'... at the end credits it says 'for all the precious girls everywhere' or something like that, so it thinks it represents a minority of people who've been through extreme abuse. I started wondering if the author, Sapphire, despite for some reason giving herself a stripper's alias, had experienced similar events in her life. So I looker her up.

Sapphire is a college-educated, feminist-lesbian performance-poet. She didn't grow up in Harlem. She's not overweight. She doesn't have any children, let alone disable children. She wasn't raped as a child. In fact the only similarity between her and the title character of her novel/film, is the color of her skin... So who are these 'precious' girls that the film is dedicated to?

Are there young women out there who are living personifications of the rantings/imagination of man-hating lesbian activists? That is, does a girl like Precious exist, simply because somebody suggests that she does.

I don't think the novel/film would work if the main character wasn't black. And I don't mean that to be racist Quite the opposite. The film is racist.

Sapphie has only ever written one novel. A novel about a black woman being oppressed from all sides. A novel where everything imagineable goes wrong. A novel where the reader cannot help but fee pity, cannot help but empathize.

It is manipulative fiction. And although I found it to be a competently produced film, with impressive performances, although it moved me, it left me with that Michael Moore feeling. Like I had been used.

If it wasn't for that one line in the credits "for Precious girls everywhere" then I probably would've liked it. It would've been at least open to interpretation, rather than a portrait/tribute to a non-existant person.

2 stars

fengtau said:
Saw this movie last night. I thought it was good. 3 stars. Kinda show how parents are the most important thing is someone's life.

What?

I saw this in the theatre when it came out with a girl on one of our first dates. We thought it was great.

Just saw this. It was pretty good but I was hoping for a happier ending... :\ Depressing as hell but well done.

Loved it. Terrible memory problems when it comes to movies so I can't expand much on that, but its well worth a watch if you haven't seen it. Funny, Sad, Inspiring, Depressing.

I thought it was a good movie. I'd agree with 3-3.5 stars, and that the acting was pretty good. Though I'd concede the points made by TD in that it goes beyond reality...or at least was stretched significantly. I do recall reading it was based on a true story, but I've no research to back that up and can't argue TD's statements. Bottom line, the film was a bit disturbing, more than a bit sad, and still a bit touching. I'd recommend it, but I wouldn't watch it again.

5 stars,
watched this movie in rehab, it was a damn good movie. don't really know why they showed it to us.. maybe because the mother is a hardcore alcoholic?

I don't know what I would do if that was happening to me.

Precious got her way @ the end :).