Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: Magnolia

rate the film

• [img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img]

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • [img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img]

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • [img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • [img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1

Votes: 27 69.2%

• Total voters
I agree with most of the comments above. It's certainly one of my top 10 favourite films of all time.

I actually think Tom Cruise is great in this film, and I can't stand him in anything else. Normally he's not a very daring actor and always goes for the 'safe' role.
I also think this is one of Julianne Moore's better performances aswell. Especially the scene where she goes to the drugstore.

Well I'm going to disagree with everyone here. This has been a constant throughout my life since this film came out.

I think it sucked. Really really badly.

Well not that much, and I agree that it definitely had interesting parts, but fuck me if it wasn't AT LEAST!!! an hour too long. It just draaaaaaaggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddddd the fuck on. I was just hoping for it to end.

Maybe I wasn't in the right headspace for the film at the time, but with all the pointlessly overlong scenes, then a rain of frogs at the end? C'mon...

Thumbs are definitely down.

very very well crafted film and definitely worth watching on that merit on that alone, but i felt it wasn't that great for several reasons. the main thing for me was many of the subplots felt like soap opera style melodrama, but then again i've only seen it once so i probably shoudl give it another chance.

Magnolia starts out brilliantly and then pretty much runs off the tracks at about the 1 hour 45 minute mark.

I was absolutely blown away by the first 2/3 of the film. The pacing was quick, the multiple narrative threads were all being kept nice and tight and engaging, the characters were interesting, it was fun trying to figure out who everyone was and how they were connected, the ambitious scope of the film was impressive... and then it climaxes prematurely (a pain I know all too well) and craps out out a musical interlude like a cat giving birth to a wormy mullion. From that point on the movie is dragged down by rambling monologues, frogs start falling from the sky and any kind of resolution is forfeited in the interest of, I don't know, cultivating some kind of arthouse chic?

Anyway, the reasons this movie dropped from 5 stars to 3.5:

1. This is the kind of film that undergraduate film students salivate over. It's relatively accessible, there are a lot of big name stars whose mediocre performances are veiled by their celebrity, and there are a ton of rambling and arguably pointless and inconclusive ideas that get jumbled around. I'm sure that someone or many someones have written their thesis on the symbolism of rain in this film. But come on... that kind of trite film school symbolism smacks of intellectual laziness. The director says "Hey, this will be cool, let's drop a bunch of frogs out of the sky" and then retroactively inserts Biblical allusions in certain scenes? Not that deep...

2. It's OK to climax in Act 3 or 4. There's no shame in it. But if you go that route, you'd better have enough momentum to get to the finish line. This film is basically over after the Game Show sequence. That's it. All the fuel is used up and it suddenly becomes self indulgent, drawn out, the otherwise stellar Jason Robards goes into a tailspin of a monologue, and nothing happens except for a hail of frogs. I'll admit, about an hour into the film I started to worry. I wondered if Anderson had bitten off more than he could chew. He had successfully built up an exciting and interesting mini-universe populated with well rendered characters who were all orbiting each other in a narrative that was very novel-like in its complexity... but where was it all going? Turns out, he didn't really know. And it shows.

3. There's no satisfying resolution for anyone. Not a single character. Except the ones that die. But in life there are no resolutions, right? One man lives, another man dies. Someone loves, someone hates. The cycle continues. OK. Great. That works sometimes, in some movies. But not in this one. It especially feels like a cop-out because all the threads are left dangling. So, like, what was the point? Oh shit! Maybe that was the point. There was no point! I'd better e-mail my thesis advisor immediately.

4. Acting was mediocre. Tom Cruise has moments where he's on the money, especially toward the end. The kid was great, but he just fades out at the end. Jason Robards was superb. The best talent in the film, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, was under-used as the simple faggy wet nurse and the usually great William H. Macy was off his game. John C. Reilly's not even worth mentioning and Julianne Moore... she's playing the same character as in Boogie Nights. She goes all out, no doubt about it, but how hard do you think it really is to play a hysterical person? I don't think it's that hard.

5. What was the point of that dead body in the lady's apartment? I'm all for MacGuffins.... sometimes... but what the hell? And the rapping kid? And the mysterious trenchcoat man? If you're gonna cut a subplot, cut it all out. Don't leave flashes of it in to fluff up the narrative, especially when the film is already clocking in at over 3 hours.

I'm being harsh with this film because it had a lot of potential and wasted it. That is sometimes worse than having a shitty film that meets expectations.

Personally, I'd argue that the acting had some highs and lows but the highs were REALLY REALLY high.
NSFW:

Highs:
- Scene with Linda Partridge at the pharmacy. Wow.
- Scene with Jim in the car at the end of the film.
- Or when Jim loses the gun.
- The tension and uncomfortable chemistry between Claudia and Jim.
- The entire cast involved in the last huge scene between T.J. Mackey, the 'wet-nurse' ;) and Partridge.
- T.J. Mackey's entire speech at the seminar.
- Luis' small role throughout the film was hilarious and genius.

Lows:
- Unfortunately, I felt Jimmy Gator's role was pretty unrelatable and I didn't care that he was sick and dying. I didn't care about his life and ended up hating him even before it was revealed (which was pretty fucking obvious) that Cynthia was his daughter and he had sexually abused her.
- Other than the final scene with Donny singing along to Give Up I was sort of surprised to not be super impressed with Philip Seymour Hoffman's role.
- I generally don't like child actors on principal and because they're children so they kind of suck. Thus, I didn't really enjoy watching the 'new' quiz kid (although I did like what the role in and of itself added to the plot).

BUTTT I honestly believe the highs of the film overwhelmingly overrode the lows. I loved the way it was shot. I loved the developments of the story. I loved the webbing (which is easy to be done in a cliche/shit way). I related to or sympathized or empathized with almost all the characters at some point. I liked the 'hidden' messages. I enjoyed the dialogue. And there's probably half a dozen or so more things I liked about the film. I honestly feel like the 'ability to relate level' is what initially drew me into this, but the complexities has kept me close to it. Still probably in my top 5.

Btw YOU SUCK, MY DICK!

Last edited:
this film is so epic. fucking brilliant....

and the more recent film that echoes it's beauty is "Crash".....the back and forth of it all....the seriousness....the many characters who represent a diverse collection of victims/addicts/invalids/blue collars/lovers/women/men/ and on and on.....

another film much like this one is requiem for a dream.....that on is much more disturbing and forward in its purpose tho.....but it has the same sort of format and "lifeline"

This movie is in my Top 5... Probably Top 3 TBH. I loved it from beginning to end. It left me thinking, and that's what I love about it.

<---- Ummm....hello?!

While I do take my name from a joke in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, I still love this movie. PTA can do no wrong in my book.

Ugh...the regret monologue and the subsequent "Give Up" lip-sync montage gets me every time.

and the more recent film that echoes it's beauty is "Crash".....the back and forth of it all....the seriousness....the many characters who represent a diverse collection of victims/addicts/invalids/blue collars/lovers/women/men/ and on and on.....

I can't believe you think Crash is anywhere near Magnolia's level. Crash is just a poor man's Magnolia that says nothing greater about race relations in LA other than "Black people and white people don't get along." It's is cheap, commercial, and incredibly racist. There are no characters, just types. And more than anything, it is just boring.

I think it comes down to this. In both the end of magnolia and the end of crash there is some kind of strange precipitation. In crash, it snows in los angeles; in Magnolia it rains frogs in the San Fernando valley. Which one sounds more interesting?

Paul Haggis is the most decorated hack in the entire industry.

<---- Ummm....hello?!

While I do take my name from a joke in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, I still love this movie. PTA can do no wrong in my book.

Ugh...the regret monologue and the subsequent "Give Up" lip-sync montage gets me every time.

comic-book-guy.gif

I can't believe you think Crash is anywhere near Magnolia's level. Crash is just a poor man's Magnolia that says nothing greater about race relations in LA other than "Black people and white people don't get along." It's is cheap, commercial, and incredibly racist. There are no characters, just types. And more than anything, it is just boring.

I think it comes down to this. In both the end of magnolia and the end of crash there is some kind of strange precipitation. In crash, it snows in los angeles; in Magnolia it rains frogs in the San Fernando valley. Which one sounds more interesting?

I'm going to take a wild guess here. Virgin?=D

I hear comic-book guy inside my head when I read your comments.

agreed
except for the last line. that's debatable.

I loved Crash nearly two decades before it won Best Picture, way back when it was called Do The Right Thing