Votes: 1 2.7%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 8 21.6%

• Total voters
I liked it. Only thing I did not like was that the animation was very Transformer like.

the scene where he says "this looks important" while on the back of what's his faces (Jeff Bridges) combat chassis and rips out his targeting system, looks like the scene where robocop ripped robocop 2's brain out.

Just watched it. Very average film. Gwyneth Paltrow is appalling as Pepper Potts. There is no character development. Most of the screen time is wasted trying to construct a believable context for Iron Man to exist in. A series of patrnozingly simplified scenes in which the suit is constructed and conveniently explained to the audience.

I don't know how it's possible that everyone thinks Robert Downey Junior was appropriately cast in this film. It is a blight on his otherwise impressive career and it is incredibly depressing that he will be remembered more for this children's fantasy, than for the important work he has been involved in.

Men in robotic armor, shooting lasers at each other?

If it wasn't an adaptation of the brand name "Iron Man" it would be laughed at. Unfortunately the world seems to be currently (and inexplicably) captivated by these tight-short-wearing egomaniacs and their accompanying special effects show.

I found the entire thing boring. Especially the short lived and badly coreographed fight scenes.

2 stars

I think that it's easy to say that these kinds of films where you actually have to suspend disbelief are not for you.

How can you say RDJ was not appropriately cast in this. I don't know much about the comic, but I do know that Tony Starke is a arrogant womanizer with a drinking problem. Hmmmm......that sounds vaugely like an actor I know.

In case you haven't noticed, movies based on comics are dominating the big screen. Why? Because they're actually well written, well cast and well directed. To even suggest that this movie would have been laughed at it it wasn't a brand name is ridiculous. I have no interest in the Iron Man comics. Personally, I always found him boring. But this was a great movie. It had nothing to do with it being a brand name for me and countless others.

Finally......do you really think that RDJ is worried about being remembered as Iron Man? He quickly signed on for the sequel, so my guess is no. Besides, when I think of RDJ, the first three movies that come to mind are Less Than Zero and Chaplin. Only kids will associate him with Iron Man. But kids become adults and broaden their movie horizons. I can't see some 30 year old guy 20 years from now going to see a RDJ movie and saying, "Man, fucking Iron Man was fantastic in A Rift In Time!"

Obviously you have to suspend disbelief. It wasn't the inherent lack of realism that bothered me about the film. I don't think I mentioned realism.

An 'arrogant womanizer with a drinking problem' doesn't finitely describe a character.

The reason that superhero films are dominating cinema currently isn't because they are well written. (That is kind of insane.) It's because they are making a lot of money.

I don't understand how anyone could describe this as a great film. Good perhaps. Entertaining, sure. But great? 4/5 stars? .. Really?

I'm sure Robert Downey Junior isn't worried about what he will be remembered for. What depresses me is that he used to be an artist and now he is selling out and prostituting himself with this sort of shit that's been injected with half a billion dollars. Not only this, though. His career has been going down the toilet for the past ten years and this is just one of stains at the bottom of the bowl.

He isn't appropriate for the role of 'Iron Man' because he is far above the caliber of the film. What concerns me is that Downey, coming out of drug and alcohol addiction - is suddenly praised both critically and financially for what is essentially a peice of shit. This will most likely encourage him to make more shit. It's happened countless times before.

He is being coaxed/ lured/ brainwashed/ re-conditioned into commerical Hollywood and 'Iron Man' is the worm on the rusty hook.

They get everyone in the end.

The bastards.

:)

Also, it's not just the kids who will remember him as 'Iron Man'. Perhaps the people you hang out with are familiar with a wide range of arthouse and independant films - but you don't represent the masses. Tony Stark/ Iron Man is the most highly publicized role he has ever had. More people have seen 'Iron Man' than any of his other films.

Do you think that Harrison Ford is remembered for the long list of wonderful films he has appeared in? Or do you think he is remembered as Han Solo and Indiana Jones?

Sir Alec Guiness grew to hate the Star Wars franchise because no one took him seriously afterwards. He was always Obiwan Kenobi from that moment on.

Don't kid yourself. As RDJ says at the end of the film, he is Iron Man.

Last edited:
Wow. Some people take films like this far too seriously.

The superhero franchise is wearing a little thin, but they're not meant to be historical masterpieces. They are based on comics for god's sake. :D

I thought IronMan was fun. RDJ was well-cast and held the role well. Paltrow... well, as usual, she looked great and kept up her standard of being as vapid and as bland as humanly possible.

Fun stuff. And for me, RDJ will always be Billy Covington.

Saw this at a friend's house a couple of nights ago. A little disappointed now that I didn't see it at the movies.

My comments after it finished were, "that was a decent action movie, a decent fucking action movie."

3.5 stars.

Saw this for the first time last week. It was a pretty fun action movie. Gave my surround sound setup a workout. :D

Personally, I've always had a bias against RDJ ever since "Less Than Zero" (I know, get over it). But I have to agree, he is the perfect candidate to play this role, IMO.

AGREED. I am probably the only person in this forum who hadnt seen Ironman until last night ;);) Robert Downey was ridiculously perfect for this role. I was thoroughly entertained. I loved it. I just wish I had seen this on the big screen instead of on cable (I know...I know...)

RDJ ages so well. He's still fucking hot and so damn lovable (Hearts and Souls anybody?)

Speaking of which, I cannot fucking wait for
poster_ironman-21.jpg

Also...
Robert Downey Jr carries this film. No question about it. Most awesome movie super hero to date. Much, much cooler than pansy little Peter Parker. And I like that even after the pendulum swings on his morality and he starts going after the evil-doers, he doesn't turn into some lame moralizing hero. You hate to see that in your super heros.

Gwyneth Paltrow was very good as well which is cool because she is so hit and miss as an actress. I think she's the kind of performer who needs a good director to maximize her potential. Left to her own devices or with a lamer behind the camera, she tends to be bad at acting.

You gotta give a lot of credit to Jon Favreau. This movie is exceptionally well plotted: all the major establishing information is conveyed quickly, efficiently (cool newsreel) and there are plenty of subtle nods (Iron Monger, War Machine) to keep the fanboys happy. As Squaresoft discovered with their bankrupt inducing Final Fantasy failure, it can be really hard to walk the line between mass appeal and keeping the rabid fans happy.

i <3 you

Last edited:
Speaking of which, I cannot fucking wait for

Dammit, I was just coming in to mention that!! ;)

Yeah, happened across a notice of the release date being MAY 7 :D

Whiplash (Mickey Rourke):
NSFW:
iron-man-2-whiplash.jpg

Iron Man & War Machine
NSFW:
ironman2_poster-2

anyone know what is up with this image I found? It says "Iron Man and the Ten Rings (release 4.30.10)
NSFW:
ironman2promo2wa5.jpg

well, in the movie the Ten Rings was the terrorist group that abducted Tony Stark. in the comics, the Ten Rings were the powerful rings sought after by Iron Man's arch-nemesis The Mandarin, with each ring holding a different kind of power. don't know what they are going to do with this.

my chief speculation for Iron Man 2 is if War Machine is going to be good or bad? or both?