Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

belfort

Bluelighter
anyone see this flick??its about a home invasion....its sposed to be pretty brutal...thoguthts??

it's... unique
i doubt you'll find many people who say they enjoyed it
but most will probably tell you that you could give it a try just to see what it is
the director found a different way to play with the spectator's nerves
and he was quite a successful
and fortunately, there's a small twist of the scenario at the end that justifies watching until the end
all in all, watch it. for your culture if not for your pleasure

i own the movie, but never watched it all the way through. i guess i wasnt in the mood to sit through it, i found it fairly dull.

is this the austrian movie where they go to the lake resort? and hold the family hostage? if so, i saw it late nite tv a couple of years ago, hard stuff to watch. more of a satire on our culture of vouyerism tho, not one i would watch again, but certainly an " experience"

Film: Funny Games

anyone seen this one? Its by the same guy that did The Piano Teacher if that rings any bells...

synopsis: two psychotic young men take a mother, father, and son hostage in their vacation cabin and force them to play sadistic "games" with one another for their own amusement.

ITS FUCKING HOT!

great movie, love the grindcore ending and the general fuckedupness of the two main characters.

it was... interesting

i read a review that started with "it's the first time i review a movie that i haven't stayed to watch until the end"

watched this last night, this is such a good movie. i didn't read up on it before i watched, and now that i have, the way it examines media violence is amazing. this is a good review i read on imdb

Excellent Examination of Media-Violence, 18 February 2000
Author: Oliver Blomqvist from Helsinki, Finland

I wasn't going to comment on this until i read some of the other comments on this page. No, I'm not going to criticise any of them, they are well motivated, and everyone has got a right to an opinion. I just want a potential viewer to see more than one point of view on the movie.

The movie is about media-violence, why it exists and why we should think deeper about it. The two sociopaths in this movie are representing the viewer, as are the victims. "Why are you doing this to yourselves?", the torturers constantly ask. Why are they entertaining themselves by killing and torturing people? Why we are watching it, is the real question.

This doesn't just go for this movie, as a matter of fact it goes for almost everything, the movie shows that you can find vicious violence everywhere, in PG-13 action movies, in kids cartoons, and people constantly watch it, maybe not even noticing it. Not only does the movie show the sickness and perversity of this, but also it has the impact on the viewer that violence should have. It's masterfully directed throughout, the actors are good, I think I'd be sobbing and blobbering most of the time too, if I was in the same situation. As for the torturers, they're cold as ice, representing the modern TV-consumer, numbed by the senseless amount of violence they are presented with.

The claiming that the scenario is implausible is simply irrelevant, because this movie works mainly on a deeper level, everything is just symbolic, and the plot isn't the essence here, it's the message. As for the unrealistically feelingless sociopaths, I don't think anyone watches James Bond or Lethal Weapon with a pack of handkerchiefs because so many people get killed. No, we sit and enjoy it just like the sociopaths in the movie. That realisation is the most scary thing in the movie. I don't understand how people can say this movie is sick, it's actually very humanistic, it's just a bit more difficult than your standard GOOD vs. EVIL-crap.

the director is remaking this in english, with tim roth, and naomi watts.
trailer for remake it looks exactly like the original except with english speaking actors.

Last edited:
I remember accidently coming across this on HBO a few years ago. Watching it with mild interest at first,then not being able to turn away. It's a hard movie to watch but an even harder movie to turn off. I can't wait to see the remake. If the trailer is any indication,it seems to be a shot-for-shot remake(in english) with both Tim Roth and Naomi Watts in the lead. Both really good actors,IMO. Hopefully,the remake won't pull any punches. God knows the original didn't.

This, along with various other Michael Haneke films, was being screened at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art last week. I wanted to go, but didn't, and probably should have. Apparently this guy makes these very disturbing pictures without using any kind of overt violence, and they are intelligently disturbing as opposed to disturbing for the sake of being disturbing like you find in some art house films. At least, that's what they say. I wouldn't actually know because I didn't go to the screenings!

that movie looks funny.. i cant wait to see it..

fuck clicking that last link.. i dont want to ruin it :)

I almost came in my pants the first time I saw a trailer for that movie.

Tim Roth is one of my ultimate heros, and this movie looks like it's right up his alley. A perfect blend of violence and humor.

I can't wait.

only reason i can think of to remake this is for money. the original is flawless.

ill watch it, but im positve ill prefer the original cause the actors who played, peter n' paul (tom n' jerry, beavis n' butt-head) were perfect.

if u get the chance watch 'benny's video' from same director/writer and has same actors as the original funny games with a similar 'message'

IcebergSlim said:
only reason i can think of to remake this is for money. the original is flawless.
Ya, I can understand remakes that try to change something, but this one looks identical. So why bother? So, American's don't have to read subtitles?

I was pretty surprised when I saw the trailer for this movie, it's not something I expected to be marketed to mainstream audiences. Are hollywood movies becoming more sadistic/gruesome?

I just finished this movie and I really liked it. As Stephen Holden put it in the NYT review, it's a "sophisticated act of cinematic sadism." The villains were perfect and the pacing was very well done. I'm pretty desensitized, but I didn't find it particularly scary or disturbing. But it is twisted.

vegan said:
it's... unique
i doubt you'll find many people who say they enjoyed it

I thought it was great. Really enjoyed it. Brilliant film.

Haven't seen the new American re-make but the original was spot on.

The re-make is exactly the same as the original but in English, it's for simpletons who can't read subtitles and watch a film at the same time.