Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

film: four lions

L2R

Bluelight Crew
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1341167/

a satire about a group of english would-be jihadists.

Four-Lions-Poster-LR.jpg

made me lol heaps. loved it! 4/5

Was pretty decent. I think it would have been better as an hour long special though, 100 minutes just spreads it too thin.

^ i laughed for most of the runtime.

rubber-dinghy-rapids

excellent stuff :D
haha!

i'd wager this becoming one of the most quotable films of the year.

"prayer bear"

"this is me IRA voice"

"i just checked and i don't have my confused face on"

*from memory so may not be 100% accurate*

You familiar with anything else Chris Morris has done IP? Check out Brass Eye and Jam TV series if you haven't already, the man is an actual comedic genius

one of my fave jam sketches

I enjoyed the film massively, pacing was fine and didn't feel spread thin to me with elements of the harsh and grim showing through the comedy regularly.

“No more widdling in me gob?”

“I may ask you to blow yourself up but I will never ask you to piss in your own mouth.”

I thought it was excellent.

Second the recommendation for Jam. Morris is also hilarious as the original Denholm in 'The IT Crowd'. Haven't seen Brass Eye, will check it out.

4/5

yeah i saw a couple clips from brass eye a while back when alasdairm recommended it to me. i'ma go get more now. :D

I've been a Chris Morris fan since I was a teenager so was really looking forward to this.

It lived up to my expectations and didn't disappoint :) I'm always interested to see how his work translates to audiences outside the UK.

The Day Today is also essential watching, I'd reccomend Nathan Barley as well but both of these shows are very "British" feeling so I'd also be interested to see how the humour translates.

Fur-Q - Uzi Lover

I loved it. :D

From the previews I got the impression that it was going to be a lot more slapstick (not that it wasn't slapstick in parts), but once I got past the expectation I thought it was bloody brilliant.

Did a really good job of making the protagonists sympathetic without supporting their actions too, I think. I really felt for Waj and Omar by the end of the movie, and I thought the bit with Omar's brother was a really subtle way of showing what kind of prejudiced attitudes lead to shit like this in the first place without being condescending about it...

the water pistol scene starts all serious like and i was concerned about how it would fit into the comedy, but then when it popped, i damn near pissed myself.

"you're too violent!"

I liked it but didn't love it.. I'm not a fan of British humor though so if you are you'll probably love it.

I liked all the parts with the Salafist looking crowd.. The water pistol the closet and the fact that they are the ones who get renditioned to 'Egypt' was funny as hell :D

interesting review here

i don't normally read reviews, but this has shone a big light on this movie i didn't even notice. don't read if you haven't seen it, it's full of spoilers.

Nathan Barley is incredible.

2lu5js9.gif

I still regularly use Barley's phrases when twating about with my mates. Chris Morris and Charlie Brooker really need to write more stuff together. They're both extremely talented and funny blokes.

I've not seen this film yet. Got someone coming round tonight, so I'll probably watch it then. Thanks for the rec.

Keep it Mencap. :D