• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters

His Name Is Frank

Bluelight Crew
district-9-poster-2.jpg

I've been seeing previews of this for months. Looks pretty promising. Initally, it was supposed to be a movie based on the game Halo and directed by Peter Jackson.

Trailer

Original District 9 film short

Yes it does look interesting. But I believe this movie and the Halo one are separate projects. Jackson left Halo to join this one for reasons that I forget but it was announced in 2008.

the funding kinda fell apart for Halo. The guy who directed this has a whole bunch of shorts on youtube which are really entertaining and offer some back story for the film.

Also for those of you haven't seen it check out the short Bloomkamp and Jackson made for halo it's on youtube i think its about 9 minutes. It's so epic.

this movie is excellent. just saw it today in the theatre and was pleased throughout the runtime. this is what real computer generated effects can do, and it is beauitiful. It isn't just noise. You can see everything so smoothly integrated with the live action as to make it practically invisible. And it also COMPLEMENTS the story, which is solid as well. Much of it felt a lot like Children of Men.
I can't fault it. I loved every minute, no matter how gross some bits get.

seriously watch this. 4.5/5

mods, poll please and index.

Is this something to watch under the influence of drugs, and if so, which drugs are appropriate?

I meant more along the lines of, if someone were to be under the influence of a psychedelic, dissociative, or cannabis already, and went to a viewing of District 9 during their time under the influence, would it be a good "drug movie"?

i think to see it high would be a waste. it's not that kind of movie imo. it's pretty intense as it is.

Yeah i saw this, thought it was abit strange. Special effects were amazing i just thought the transition from mocumentary to action film was kind of quick and weird but understandable. Actually really liked this movie, some parts were kinda fucked up though haha. All in all really enjoyable.

I loved it. The marketing for this was perfect, I had no idea what to expect going in and was definitely surprised. My only complaint is that the first act could have been a little tighter, maybe about 10 minutes or so cut in editing would have been nice.

But yeah, overall phenomenal. Every scene with the alien son was amazing. The entire ending battle/action scenes were incredible. And, the way people would basically liquefy when hit with the alien weapon was absolutely amazing. The effects were top notch.

I loved this.

We watched it on a Sunday afternoon at Gold Class [thank-you Mother-in-law, your Christma gift-card was put to very good use!]. It went well with a couple of GnT's and a massive ice-cream sundae. :D

In all seriousness, I loved this film. It was incredibly realistic and the acting was very impressive. I really enjoyed the plot and thought the script was original and very very well executed.

4.5 out of 5. A must-see. Can't wait to see if there's a sequel. :)

I heard it was shitty and the person I'm getting this info from said she thought it was a parody of other movies at first.

That aside, I think it looks good, and based on Jackson's past films, I think it will be.

I've seen trailers of this and I thought it looked cheesy as hell.

But you guys have said it was good so I will probably go check it out. Also I love sci-fi and I loved Cloverfield as well.

bob, actually it's based on a short film by the same director.

apparently he (neill blomkamp) was meant to direct the jackson produced halo adaptation, but when that fell through, jackson gave him 30 mil to make whatever he wanted and he made this. his technical special effects background shines through hard.

rated e, this >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cloverfield

Fantastic film, it left a few things blank, like why they were there in the first place. Most enjoyable film all year.

Loved it too. I'm a sucker for a decent sci fi flick and it's been a long time between good ones. I love the setting of South Africa and the parallels with Arpartied.

Warning spolier....
NSFW:
My only gripe is the robot suit at the end. Why wouldn't the prawns just take on the humans if they had a weapon that far superior?

I'll be surprised (and disapponted) if the story isn't continued.

^my wife's only criticism also.

but i rationalise it is the condition they're in when they got here.

the movie was engaging at parts and had great effects and gore but lacked a sort of structural quality and the narrative was weak. id reccomend getting stoned and seeing it with some buddies.