Votes: 1 33.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

• Total voters

Benefit

Bluelighter
A masterpiece. Powerful racist propaganda. Epic storytelling. Remarkable cultural document. Cinema in its purest form.

Birth of a Nation is all these things. It was D.W. Griffith's groundbreaking epic, released in 1915, which grossed approximately 10 million dollars at the box office. Theatres charged an unprecedented $2 admission price to see this film. Never before had a film showcased that kind of earning potential. It effectively brought motion pictures, which had traditionally been the stomping ground of the working class, to the upper echelons of American society and lent filmmaking a sense of artistic legitimacy.

In a nutshell, Birth of a Nation tells the history of the Civil War and Reconstruction era America. The film's thesis is that America was a conglomerate of divided states until the white man united under the banner of white supremacy to disenfranchise the newly liberated Southern black population. It glorifies the Ku Klux Klan and demonizes blacks and mulattos, portraying them as incapable of wielding political power and lusting after white women. There is one scene in the state legislature where the newly elected black representatives are seen eating chicken, drinking liquor and taking their shoes off. The absurdity of this scene is unintentionally quite humorous.

The film drew criticism for its overt racism when it was released, and has been the center of controversy ever since. It is, unequivocally, white racist propaganda. But that does not detract from its value as a cinematic milestone. Although Edwin S. Porter may have technically been the first director to make use of close-ups and cross-cutting, D.W. Griffith refined these techniques and introduced them into the filmmaking lexicon. The kinetic energy of his filmmaking, the fluid camera movements, the contraction and dilation of the iris, the cross-cuts (which are effectively precursors to the vaunted Russian technique of montage that would develop a decade later); it all comes together into a superb example of pure cinema.

The film definitely drags, coming in at a staggering 180 minutes. There are many parts that should have been cut, but the length of the film itself was a conscious artistic statement. There had never been a film of this length produced before; the studio standard was 60 minute features. Griffith wanted to redefine the feature film. Birth of a Nation was unprecedented in its scope, ambition and epic length.

The large scale battle sequences during the Civil War are still impressive today, compounded by the fact that Griffith was literally working with the most rudimentary of tools. Motion pictures had been in existence for only 20 or so years at that point, yet he succeeded in creating sweeping visuals of the battlefield, frantic mob scenes and one very powerful closing sequence. The iconic images of white hooded Ku Klux Klan members cresting a ridge on horseback and riding through a stream are powerful and kind of inspiring, even today. Despite the obvious racism, the scenes succeed as cinema and should be acknowledged for that achievement.

Like Metropolis and Battleship Potemkin, the casual movie viewer probably won't be able to sit through the whole thing, or even want to. But to anyone interested in cinema history, this is another must-see.

Last edited:
It's been on my "to see" list for ages.

Saw this back in university, alongside Battleship Potemkin, both of which left indelible impressions on me and which I remember to this very day.

First half is pretty neat. Kind of a docu-drama on the civil war, complete with Lincoln assassination and everything. Really drags in the middle before climax at the end.
There is some dispute as to how much of a milestone this was for movies as an art. This movie is credited with introducing many film techniques that actually appeared in previous Griffith films. Even then, some of those techniques were invented other, lesser known directors.
However, you could make a case that Griffith was more adept at combining these various technique than other directors of his time. Unfortunately, 90% of all silent films are missing so its difficult to discern who invented what.
So while it may not be the artistic milestone that some say it is, Birth Of A Nation is the single most important film in the developement of film as a buisiness and an industry. No other movie comes close.
Adjusted for inflation, it might still be the biggest film of all time. But no one really knows how much money Birth Of A Nation made, only that it was an absurd amount.

^ according to web sources it made around $11M. a rough inflation adjustment for today makes that about $200M in 2007 money which is obviously pretty good - around 75th on the all-time us list.

alasdair

alasdairm said:
^ according to web sources it made around $11M. a rough inflation adjustment for today makes that about $200M in 2007 money which is obviously pretty good - around 75th on the all-time us list.

Well, those web sources are pulling that number out of their ass. The truth is that no one knows how much money it made.
According to the book American Silent Film by William K. Everson, the only official talleys anyone has on BOAN for its initial release is how much Griffith made selling the movie to local and regional distributers.
Those distributers did not keep accurate records so it's anyone guess as to how much THEY made, how many tickets were sold, or how many people saw BOAN on its initial release.
$11 million is probably the amount of money that anyone can prove it made. But it could have been much, much more. No one knows. It is entirely possible that BOAN is the biggest film of all time.

calm down. my post was not intended to stand up to scientific scrutiny, rather to place the discussion in some kind of real world context.

i said the number came from a web source (i.e. it may be dead on but it could as easily be meaningless) and went on to say the adjustment was rough.

alasdair

Last edited:
I'm not mad. I just happened to read a book on this subject not two months ago and I'm jazzed that I get an opportunity to impress everyone with all my silent film trivia so soon afterwards. It's over-excitement that you are detecting.

cool. give us your estimate of its value all these years later? tell us an interesting anecdote about the production?

alasdair

alasdairm said:
cool. give us your estimate of its value all these years later?

It is impossible even to estimate. And this is from someone who loves to make things up off the top of my head.

crystalcallas said:
Saw this back in university, alongside Battleship Potemkin, both of which left indelible impressions on me and which I remember to this very day.

me too.

I can't believe anyone has ever watched this entire movie without repeatedly zoning out or falling asleep for long enough periods of time that they have no idea what is going on plot-wise by the time they come back to.

Never seen it, probably never will. I dislike most movies from that era. Add to the fact that it's rooted in racism makes me want to see it all the less.

I've seen most of it, and refuse to rate it.

I do this not because it's bad, or racist, but I really feel that its import is lost on anyone who isn't a student of film history. The film must be viewed in the context of the time it was made, as well as (IMO) compared to the other silent movies that were current then. I can't say I liked it, but what does that mean; I enjoyed Casablanca much more than Citizen Kane, but one critic in a thousand will call it the better movie. If we're going to talk influential silent movies, I think Metropolis is far more accessible.

As for its racist content, I'll only say this: if critics can unequivocally praise this film's merit despite its explicitness, then I don't want to hear any other aficionado of high art criticize, say, Wagner or Riefenstahl's work, full-stop.