• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: Avatar

Rate this movie!

• Total voters
Visually worth the $15 for IMAX. Cameron has set the standard for visual effects in a major Hollywood production. Blows away everything in terms of sci-fi effects. The Matrix, Star Wars, (is there anything else major for effects?). Sure the plot and script are marginally better than say some Disney flick, but damn I've never seen CGI looking that good.

just saw it... like everone says the plotis unoriginal. but the graphics even in regular format were unbelieveable. i cant wait to see it in imax later this week, hopefully after taking some psychedelic haha

not only was it a long movie but it felt like one. the cinematography reminded me of a 1st person shooter for some of the scenes with the zoom feature. there were parts in this movie the whole theater was laughing at how cheesy it was. the dialogue was terrible as well as the plot.

I'm glad I went to see it in theaters. the cgi vividly outshines all aspects of this film. throughout the entire movie the surroundings are deliciously lush. a very visually stimulating experience. lots of luminescent organic lighting effects. i wouldn't watch it again without something to enhance my vision.

personally i think the end could have come sooner and there could have been more explosions for longer.

Overall: kinda boring but mostly a fun/enjoyable waste of 2hrs 42mins :)

ferngully was good. i didnt know cheech and chong were in this movie. lots of popular actors i didnt know were in there. the smog monster at the end scared me a little.

stunning visual don't make a good movie.
but they make stunning visuals

and in this case, stunning enough not to care about the cheap aspects of the movie

did you like baraka?
was there any depth of characters?

films don't necessary have to fill up all criterion to be great

your little brother could have written a better story, but the movie is still amazing

I didn't really see any major plotholes
me neither
just very predictable scenes and light inconsistencies
I heard the interview on NPR with Cameron
time to read the critics now :)

I heard the interview on NPR with Cameron. His commentary alone convinced me not to give this film a second glance. It sounds so stupid.

They see me trollin

I'd like to go see this movie high on either psychedelics or at the very least some good weed. Doubt I'll have the the former. Not expecting this to be anything but eye-candy.

I think people will troll this film like they do every film but I really loved it. There were a few lines of dialogue that were weak, some cheesy satire but overall it was a superb movie full of action, story, and emotion.

To put it in perspective the film cost a total of around $500 million and so far it's only made like $80 million at the box office? This film is just in the infancy of its hype.... give it a few more weeks and everyone will be talking about it, etc.

And I'm also plugging Avatar Quotes because I know the guy who got home from the theatre and decided to make the site.

$80 million at the box office?
in the usa
triple that worldwide
that's in about 4 days
and the budget is less than $500 m
not that i'm interested in money statistics, but it's not far from already having reeimbursed the money invested

Everybody talked about a lot of movies I hate. So? Therefore it's good?

I'm not trolling. Any 'film' where the director sends his entire cast to Hawaii to 'feel it' without shooting a single scene there just makes me fucking angry on principle alone. I'm not going to support something I view as part of what's really wrong with 'Hollywood'... especially something where the plot/ simple interview made me want to bang my head against the steering wheel.

I LOVED this movie actually. I didn't want to go see in at first because I'm not a real being fan of action movies or sci-fi. I just don't have the suspension of disbelief for it. But I'm really glad I saw it. But the 3-D is cool for like 10-15 minutes and then you get used to it and it doesn't seem special or anything. I did think 3 hours was a little long, they diverted quite a big that they didn't need to for the romantic story line.

I just read a pretty good review of this movie (a spoiler so I won't say anything about the message/meaning the reviewer got from it) but it seems too simplistic and long.

I'd rather see a movie about post-industrial world that has run out of oil or where the George Bushes & Dick Cheney are put on trial for war crimes, the assassination of JFK, the 9/11 fraud and allowing the money manipulations on Wall Street to bankrupt this country. (Plus Bill Clinton's idiocy.)

ten bucks imax tickets done got. thursday night for loud colours and vivid noises, or something.

Avatar quickly disproving the idea that you can't polish a turd.

Just got back from a screening. It is quite a polished turd indeed. The characters are one dimensional, he re-uses cliches and scenarios from previous films. The ending is a predictable Hollywood conclusion. The dialogue is appalling and the voice over narration is worse.

Despite all this, I give it 2.5 stars.

There has never been a cinematic experience like Avatar.

It's not a good movie. It's more like a roller coaster ride.

This movie was a bit like Where The Wild Things Are for me. Not brilliant in terms of story or content. But it managed to instill intense, childlike emotions. And was visually awe inducing.

After I spent a good chunk of my youth playing games like Halo and Abes Odyssey, the visuals in this movie just hit the right notes.

4 stars.

I watched it yesterday (Belgium is one of the first countries to screen the movie, weird). Saw it in 3D as well, which really adds to the experience.
The storyline is very predictable and unoriginal, the characters are zero, the symbolism is cheesy and the dialogues suck. However, for a movie of almost 3 hours I enjoyed it a lot and never got bored. It has great music, brilliant action, hot alien chicks and awesome 3D animation. This is the movie the 3D-cinemas have been waiting for and it is also the movie which places 3D-animated expressions and emotions on the same level as those of human actors.

He could have made it a lot better and deeper, I guess he had to make some hollywoodian sacrifices to keep it financable.

The stuttery trailers don't do the visuals justice, in the cinema it's pretty wonderful. The world is filled with huge luminescent plants, weird animals and stunning vistas.

If you are looking for a quiet, smart sci-fi movie: rent Moon and watch it at home. If you want to be really immersed in a beautiful, realistic alien world and culture and have some decent action on the way, Avatar is your movie. You'll walk out of the theatre hoping to meet a 3 metre tall alien with a bow around the corner.

Oh, if you can: do this movie on acid. In 3D. It'll blow your eyes out.

I just saw it yesterday and this seems to be the closest accurate review. The whole plotline is indeed predictable, and the lines made me cringe at how cheesy they were sometimes. But I was highly entertained, and I was able to become captured by the film. Also, it almost seemed like the plot of some kind of japanese manga book. Good holiday movie.

Yea plot wasn't great, and normally I wouldn't say special effects make a movie good..... however

This movie is an exception. The realism of the characters faces and environment is absolutely incredible in 3D, the trailers don't come close to doing it justice.

Yes I could guess what was going to happen at most major events in the plot, but when you are so visually immersed in a movie it almost doesn't matter. Plus some of the actors weren't half bad, the evil military guy was great.

completely formulaic, predictable, weak dialogue, semi-interesting characters, but WOW what a visual experience.

I think it will be one of those defining film moments that change the way the fantasy genre is viewed. Like LoTR proving that you could make an epic expensive fantasy trilogy, this shows that with technology you can take a ridiculously average story and make it visually stunning. A real turn-your-brain-off and watch kind of film. Don't go into it looking for any deep meanings - but hey, it's James Cameron...

Iwouldn't say the plot was unoriginal, just predictable. Having said that Titanic was a one way street and for some reason the public and critics lap that shit up.

I would still give it 4 stars solely due to the ability to be lost in that world. The 3D effect of walking through the planets undergrowth, flying through clouded mountains and alian sex scenes in a glowing forest meant I would have been happy just to wander around with zero plot for 3 hours and still feel like I got value for money.

I just know my mental scape has been crafted for the next Doof I plan to attend ;)