Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

film: Adaptation

Oh dear God! The Orchid Thief IS real!!

Susan Orlean and John Laroche must be some good-humoured people! :D

I like this film even more now.

This movie was superb. Self-indulgent, self-deprecating, hilarious, and bleak; well worth your time and money.

I watched it with a friend, not even knowing who directed it at first, and was completely blown away. Easily one of the best films I've seen this year (though that really isn't saying much...). I really like how Jonze tends to make his characters physically unattractive.

movie:Adaptation

i saw this movie a couple of weeks ago but it has to be one of the best written movies ive seen. at the beginning you dont think much of it. you think it will be bad cause the characters arnt what you would expect in a average movie. the movie is about a guy writing a movie sounds boring? wrong. it might be a true story i dont know but its a good one i recommend it to all

^ i merged these before i saw your link, steve.

alasdair

I loved this movie (but then again, I love almost everything)
I loved the guy's brother...like when he gets shot and he starts
laughing and says something like "I got shot..that is SO fucked up!"
It was sad as fuck when he died though..
:(

yea he might have lived. was a really good movie anyhow. wish it had more recognition

This movie really kicked ass, if you haven't rented it already ~ go and see it now!!! Nick Cage has always been one of my favorite actors and he did NOT let us down in this film! The way the whole movie was simply put togather was beautiful and origional, also the story, though it doesn't have too much action, draws you in and keeps you very interested throughout the whole movie. This will definitly be an addition my DVD shelf once I get the cash.

Film: adaptation

i will have to watch this movie again before i can make any really worth while comments about this film but i just wanted to open this thread up for general discussion.

what an awesome extention of the old "play within the play" idea.

superb acting by Nicholas Cage (whom i loath) and Merril Streep.

i do have some questions for people who have seen this a few times, hit me up with a PM if you have some time to burn. I dont wanna post em here for fear of spoilers.

has anyone read the book? is the way the book is portrayed in the movie accurate?? ahh questions galore.

see this film if you havent!

[edit] thanks whoever merged this:) i knew it was floating around somewhere [/edit]

Last edited:
the movie has a sence of dry humor that is rather amusing. like when he goes on that date with his friend and they sit in the car. they both know they want to kiss but he doesnt. then she gets out of the car and hes pissed cause he knows he had a chance, then he says" i ama go up to her door and kiss her " and then he drives off

ahahahha i was laughing so hard cause he was so serious

i thought this was cage's best work in a while although he is ok matchstick men as well. chris cooper does a superb job as usual and sam rockwell is one of my favorite actors

yeah this is a really good film with loads of different points and themes all put fairly tightly into a single story ark

Lingo said:
It's sad that this film is getting such terrible reviews. All this does is proove how little attention can really be paid to a movie.
The entire film was a satire of it's self.
People say the first two acts were boring, the last act was contrived, and the whole thing tried too hard to be clever... those people didn't pay ANY attention to the movie. Hell, these people probably think Donald Kaufman was REAL.
The film was probably as close to the real Charlie Kaufman's life as "Being John Malkovich" was to the real Malkovich's.
I loved this movie. I thought it was another great new concept by Charlie Kaufman. I can't wait to see it again.
Adios,
Steve

Thankyou......... it's a masterpiece....... Charlie Kaufman has got such big balls i wanted to laught and cry throughout the movie..... I love the scene when he ends up listening to the dudes lectures who refelcts everything he is against..... fucking classic :D

i love the orchid

I love love loved adaptation!! and some of the things pointed out from "the orchid thief" were so poignant. *sniffles* i'm dying to read it now! Anyhoo... i loved the poignancy of the "orchid thief" references

yep....the orchid thief references were very very meaningful for me and as usual, the subtle play of image sound and voice overs each time almost brought me to the brink of tears.
That said, the rest of the movie was so-so. Im gonna go git me that book dammit! :\

From a structuralist point of view, this movie is nothing short of a masterpiece. Every little detail relates to something else in the film, and the plot gels into a perfect moebius strip. It's one of the most brilliant films I've ever seen. It took my emotions for a roller coaster ride that was fake in some ways, but meaningful and worthwile nonetheless.

You mean he didn't have a brother that got killed by flying out of the car windshield after an accident while fleeing from alligators and people who were trying to kill them? I had really thought that that contrived set-up actually happened. Thanks for the insight.

The way I interpreted it was that Donald was Charlie's wild, carefree side, and that whenever he sat down to write, he wished he could get rid of that side of his personality and be a settled, serious screenwriter 24/7.

In the end, he realizes that good writing comes from accepting and integrating all sides of him personality, and he'd never be a good writer as long as he was ashamed to be himself.

^^^ spot on. the script is so fucking amazing in the way that it constantly references itself, cinema, and its conventions. if there was any doubt after being john malkovich (and there shouldn't have been), kaufman is a genius. a narcissistic genius, sure, but a genius nonetheless =D

i loved this film, if you couldn't tell (and like steve buscemi, chris cooper is another one of those actors who goes unnoticed by a lot of people, but puts in consistently fantastic performances).

LOL... bumping a 6 year old thread! :D

Based on the recommendation of others, I saw this last night. I must admit, I didn't immediately 'get' the self-referential quality of the film where Donald takes control of the scriptwriting (it often takes more than one viewing for these things to make more sense), apart from the fact that I watched much of the second half of the film thinking to myself: "man, what the hell happened to the storyline... this is terrible." :D

May have to watch it again to fully appreciate it, but I would agree that Cage's performance is quite wonderful - from the manic, to the sublime. Would also agree regarding Chris Cooper's easy delivery and solid work.

I can see this being one that I keep on file to watch repeatedly. <3

^ Me too. Several years and many movies later, this one is still in my top ten of all time.