Votes: 1 5.9%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

AmorRoark

Bluelight Crew
A dock worker Jude (Jim Sturgess) travels to America in the 1960s to find his estranged father. There he falls in love with sheltered American teenager Lucy (Evan Rachel Wood). When her brother Max (Joe Anderson) is drafted to fight in the Vietnam War, they become involved in peace activism.

An original musical film, Across The Universe is a fictional love story set in the 1960s amid the turbulent years of anti-war protest, the struggle for free speech and civil rights, mind exploration and rock and roll. At once gritty, whimsical and highly theatrical, the story moves from high schools and universities in Massachusetts, Princeton and Ohio to the Lower East Side of Manhattan, the Detroit riots, the killing fields of Vietnam and the dockyards of Liverpool. A combination of live action and painted and three-dimensional animation, the film is paired with many Beatles songs that defined the time.

Watch the trailer here.

From the looks of the trailer the cinematography appears to be awesome! Not only that, it seems knee-deep in Beatles covers (hopefully living up to I Am Sam).
After exploring further into it I was really dissapointed to find out one of the "peace movement" leaders in the film is (take a guess) Bono. He seems pretty far down on the list however so hopefully it's just a small cameo.

We've got a while to wait though... set to come out in September of this year.

01.jpg

Last edited:
Oh please.

Another cash-in of the hippies turned baby-boomer capitalists reinventing their past for 'nostalgia's' sake and to make money.

Fuck them and Rolling Stone and the Rolling Stones for that matter. I saw the trailer and almost puked.

bri2u2002 said:
Oh please.

Another cash-in of the hippies turned baby-boomer capitalists reinventing their past for 'nostalgia's' sake and to make money.

Fuck them and Rolling Stone and the Rolling Stones for that matter. I saw the trailer and almost puked.

Maybe, but at least it might remind the boomers and subsequent generations of what freedom, love, and drugs are all about. Good tunes to boot:)

I'm certainly not against the late sixties or early seventies music scene or shit like that.

I like a lot of it but I don't like it presented to me as a way for Corporations to hit their revenue targets.

The way they 'reinvent' it package it and sell it is kind of sick though. With this sort of sincerity that is so fake.

Same thing happened to Alt Rock in the mid nineties. All these corporate bands with this fucking fake angst that sells. I could see the fucking Corporate Boardrooms. 'Cobain's angry and depressed can you be too?'

The boomer generation likes to think that they were the only cultural relevant generation. Corporate America caught on and sells this idea to them and it reinforces this. Look at any car commercial these days.

I'm guessing this is a 'Sony' picture. Big surprise.

I'm going to ignore everything that's said so far and say that i'm very excited for this Moulin Rouge meets kickass Beatles songs type movie.

Is it trying to prove a point or send a message? Sure. Whatever.

So I am a die hard beatles fan and every time i see this commercial and/or trailer in the theaters I get chills.....

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/acrosstheuniverse/

A dock worker Jude (Jim Sturgess) travels to America in the 1960s to find his estranged father. There he falls in love with sheltered American teenager Lucy (Evan Rachel Wood). When her brother Max (Joe Anderson) is drafted to fight in the Vietnam War, they become involved in peace activism. Written by MIB6116

An original musical film, Across The Universe is a fictional love story set in the 1960s amid the turbulent years of anti-war protest, the struggle for free speech and civil rights, mind exploration and rock and roll. At once gritty, whimsical and highly theatrical, the story moves from high schools and universities in Massachusetts, Princeton and Ohio to the Lower East Side of Manhattan, the Detroit riots, Vietnam and the dockyards of Liverpool. A combination of live action and painted and three-dimensional animation, the film is paired with many Beatles songs that defined the time. Written by Anonymous
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0445922/

I can not wait to see this movie, I'm not a fan of love stories and shit but i think i'll get into this one

what do you guys think?

Movie release date September 21, 2007

Ive been looking forward to it for quite a while now as well I saw the first trailer when i saw spider man 3. It got mixed review on rotten tomatoes but considering its rotten tomatoes fuck them.

I was wondering what others thought of this movie. Personally, i dont think its possible too successfully cover a beatles song but thats just me. The uncle sam scene was my favorite but i didnt really dig how the "60's" were 2000ed up.

Please delete or move if this is in the wrong place, thanks mods.

i too have been really looking forward to this film lady. it looks beautiful, and can't wait to see it. nothing more substantial to contribute until i do.

i havent been able to see it yet but my best friends mom saw it and she loved it and said she is probably going to see it a few more times

Awesome previews I've been looking for the torrent for 3 days now and nothing... Dammit!!

I just got back from the theater and I loved this movie. I am not a fan of musicals and I am too young to nostalgic for the sixties because I wasn't alive then. I do like the Beatles and thought most of the covers were excellent.

They condense a lot of iconic people, places and events of the sixties, and a lot of characters represent one or more things/people. The obvious ones were the landlady (Janis Joplin) and her guitarist boyfriend (Jimi Hendrix), as well as Ken Kesey and a few others.

I can't quite put my finger on what was lacking in this movie, it was a little cheesy, but I feel that way about all musicals. For a person so prejudiced against them for me to feel this positive about it I'd think a fan might love it.

Anyways, I recommend checking it out.

I might check it out, but I'm a little wary.... I'm not a huge fan of musicals, and yet the Beatles song "Across the Universe" is one of my favorite songs of all time. If they're making a musical/dramatization out of it, I hope they lived up to the original subject matter... if it is cheesy and forgettable I'll be quite let down.