• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

few questions about the cerebellum

rarerran

Bluelighter
I know the brain can't feel pain, but does the cerebellum count as part of the brain?

thus

1. Can the cerebellum itself feel pain?

2. Can the cerebellum repair itself if damaged (by drugs/chemicals/substances not by physical trauma)?

3. If a line were to be drawn from ear to ear horizontally, would it pass through the brain/cerebellum? Or is all the brain above the line between the ears?

4. I understand the cerebellum has CB1 receptors, are they evenly distributed or are there more on the right hand side?

I'm trying to educate myself on the matter because last July I ate a cannabis edible (from the street, so it may well not have been cannabis at all- it certainly didn't feel like being stoned) and ever since I've felt a burning sensation in what I think is my cerebellum- sometimes central sometimes on the far right side.

In the brain itself pain cannot be perceived. Look into open brain surgery, used in for example epilepsy.

I'm not sure what you are experiencing but it is not caused by the cerebellum. If you feel something in your head then it is caused by nerves in your scalp, skull, or meninges.
1. No
2. It depends on what you mean by repair. Functions can be restored after injury, but new cells can not be created.
3. It depends on exactly where you draw the line. If the line runs through the ear canal then it would potentially cross through the bottom of the cerebellum.
4. As far as I am aware the CB1 density is the same on both sides.

random Q but does the jaw have any CB receptors? I think I'm now feeling the burning sensation at the back right side of my jaw.

Concerning whether the brain can repair itself, cerebellum included, studies have shown that it can to a certain extent. There are substances that assist in the strengthening of intra-neural dendrites, assist to stabalise and strengthen pre-synaptic neurotransmitter transporter sites within the synaptic cleft as well as promoting general neuroplasticity and guard against neural-degeneration either age-, or substance abuse related.

These include pharmaceuticals such as Etifoxine and Pregabalin, also Methylphenidate reduces levels of the NR2B subunit of the NMDA receptor without altering NR2A levels in the prefrontal cortex, thereby affecting long-term plasticity in the prefrontal cortex. Cannabanoids, especially THC, CBD and other cannibinoids with an affinity for CB1 receptor sites, CB1 receptor sites have the highest concentration within the cerebellum. Psilocybin en Psilocin Mushrooms. Omega 3, 6, and 9. Green Tea.

Exercise also has effects within the hippocampus, where it influences plasticity (reflected in elevated LTP and improved spatial learning) and increases neurogenesis and the expression of several plasticity-related genes.

The brain is an amazing organ and studies have only now started to show the regenerative capabilities of neurons.

Not surprising, about half of the total neurons in the brain are in the cerebellum. I'm sure it has a litany of different nt's and receptors in it.

If the soma is damaged, the neuron is gone. If it's just the axon, it can be repaired. But if the axon isn't repaired within a decent time limit, the soma becomes damaged as it simply doesn't see enough activity to warrant its existence. This is different from the construction of new neurons.