• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Fentanyl Transdermal Patch - how long til I'm out of the woods?

Tuesdaynite

Greenlighter
Hello everyone,

I have a pretty high opiate tolerance (60-80 mg daily prior to starting Fentanyl) so my doctor started me on 50mcg Fentanyl transdermal patch to manage my chronic pain. I'm not looking to recreationally use but I've read so many bad things about Fentanyl that I'm wigging out just by legitimately being on the patch!

I accidentally OD'd on it the first time I used it a couple weeks ago & wound up in the hospital, presumably because I had also taken my other (prescribed) meds like Abilify, Effexor, and Imitrex along with a NoDoz (not too smart, I know). Percs alone aren't working for pain anymore so I'm trying out the 50mcg patch again, but this time not taking other meds at the same time.

Since I OD'd the first time and after all I've read about how it causes death I'm freaking out every time I get sleepy or start sweating even a little. I wore the patch this time around 36 hours before it fell off because I forgot to cover it in the shower this morning. So I put another one on about 15 hours ago but I'm afraid to fall asleep because I'm afraid I won't wake up! My heart rate is regularly above normal ever since being on Percocet, but still monitoring that and also making sure my pupils aren't pinpointing like the OD symptoms list says. No nausea or vomiting but I did wake up early this morning feeling a stiffness in my neck & jaw. I'm freaking out about every little thing that seems symptomatic, when in reality I could just be causing myself anxiety & panic symptoms over it.

How long til I'm out of the woods and no longer at risk for OD, seeing as I'm using as directed? This 2nd patch has been on approximately 15 hours. Also is it ok to immediately put another patch on if the one you were wearing falls off, or do you need to wait? So worried. I'm not trying to use recreationally at all & I don't want to die! :(

Thanks!
Tuesdaynite

Tell your doctor he almost killed you with his irresponsible dosing. 50-60 mg of anything orally is not equivalent to a 50 ug fent patch. You should go back to whatever pills your taking as fentanyl dependancy even legitimate is a nightmare.

Fentanyl patches hit max effectivess around 18 hrs after putting it on. If I read correctly, you had one on for 36 hrs and then replaced it. So--I would say you're fine.

Personal experience--the first time I used one that was too strong, I experienced symptoms around 4-5 hours in that kept getting worse til I removed it. I got very nauseous/vomited out of nowhere. I had super pinned pupils, couldn't keep my eyes open, and could tell it just was too much.

You sound fine. You're past the point where it is accumulating/increasing in the system.

But in the future, if they are the sticker type (non gel), you can always cut in half and start there.

Just don't stress...you're fine :)

Edit--and I agree with tacodude. That's a high start for what you were taking. I mean, fentanyl patches start at 12.5 mcg/hr...