• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Fentanyl patch

lovemissile66

Bluelighter
So, I have in my possession: 4 fentanyl patches of the lowest dose, 12 mcg by Apotex Corp. I am not opiate naive, not by a longshot. I've been using heroin since 2001, with a two year respite when I
'went away to camp', wink wink. Are these even worth doing? And could I stick all 4 on my body safely? I ask because I may be without my doc in a few days and besides many benzos and clonidine...
this is it. Also, how long before they kick in, if indeed they kick in?
thank you for any replies. I know I should quit. I mean to everyday. In the meantime, it is what it is.

What opioid are you addicted to and at dose?

They take a couple hours to kick in from my little experience with those.

The truth is ive only worn a fentanyl patch once. All the other times i used them I either ate, smoked or injected the contents. Definitely don't do that last one.

it's good that you're not opiate naive because many have chewed fent patches and such without any business doing so and it's a fast way to go out and not very dramatic either :/ You hear about people randomly dropping in a parking lot or something like that and fent patches are the culprit. If you've got benzos try to avoid taking them at the same time as much as you can. With fent especially the first 1-3 days it's better to air on the side of caution and not redose until you're certain its safe. Don't chase the nod is my advice. It's not like heroin. The nod is exceedingly dangerous to chase with fent and not much euphoria to boot (unlike with heroin high).

Quitting is personal. It's better for the body and mind but pressuring yourself because society wants you to does not technically make quitting easier (actually probably much harder). Off topic but I'm interested in Oregon legalizing almost all substances and seeing how it plays out! Could really help people psychologically break free. There's always time to quit and make attempts when it comes to opiates and no one sees themselves in the worst case scenario but survive. If you overdose at the wrong time and place all future mistakes and triumphs are erased in a moment. It happens too much :( Some users have 397 lives and always come back from an OD with narcan (angry nap indeed) while others are not so lucky. I think you'll be okay with a tolerance you can trust. Speaking to lurkers as well. One false step or misplaced confidence and could really be the end. Caution is our best friend and anxiety can save oneself. Some anxiety is needed when it comes to a high that can kill.

Last edited:
it's good that you're not opiate naive because many have chewed fent patches and such without any business doing so and it's a fast way to go out and not very dramatic either :/ You hear about people randomly dropping in a parking lot or something like that and fent patches are the culprit. If you've got benzos try to avoid taking them at the same time as much as you can. With fent especially the first 1-3 days it's better to air on the side of caution and not redose until you're certain its safe. Don't chase the nod is my advice. It's not like heroin. The nod is exceedingly dangerous to chase with fent and not much euphoria to boot (unlike with heroin high).

Quitting is personal. It's better for the body and mind but pressuring yourself because society wants you to does not technically make quitting easier (actually probably much harder). Off topic but I'm interested in Oregon legalizing almost all substances and seeing how it plays out! Could really help people psychologically break free. There's always time to quit and make attempts when it comes to opiates and no one sees themselves in the worst case scenario but survive. If you overdose at the wrong time and place all future mistakes and triumphs are erased in a moment. It happens too much :( Some users have 397 lives and always come back from an OD with narcan (angry nap indeed) while others are not so lucky. I think you'll be okay with a tolerance you can trust. Speaking to lurkers as well. One false step or misplaced confidence and could really be the end. Caution is our best friend and anxiety can save oneself. Some anxiety is needed when it comes to a high that can kill.
Thank you GMOOTC! I've been doing dope so long I just get tired of the fight. And then I start thinking really shitty thoughts like 'maybe I'm just meant to be a heroin addict?' What the fuck??!! The thing with dope and myself: I don't use to get obliterated. I guess I'm what you would call a functioning addict. Nobody EVER had a clue. And that's how I got away with it for years. Until I went to CAMP. lol. and then of course, I went right back to it. It's like the best antidepressant ever, but I can still feel emotion. I can still cry. I think I may need to move to Oregon! Not even kidding. Thanks for the info on that. I lost my partner of 20 years to an OD. He did that too often until the last one got him good. And it happened on such a random, ordinary day together. So, I'm not ready to give up my doc yet
because I am still mourning the loss of him and other piled on traumas. You are so right about waking up after a Narcan shot. He was not a happy camper. And bugged me to give him dope to take
the headache etc., away. I've dodged that so far. Stay safe.

I'm having a similar dilemma. Really unhappy off opioids lately.. to the point that life does not feel worth. Then I'll pop an opioid and bingo back to life is great.

If it were me, I would wear half of a 12mcg and just notice the long lasting subtle opioid high.

If it were me, I would wear half of a 12mcg and just notice the long lasting subtle opioid high.
Very much doubt a heroin user would feel anything from a whole 12mcg patch even.
A few months ago I was doing oxycodone and morphine in dosages that were still therapeutic and I felt absolutely nothing from a 50mcg patch applied to try and avoid withdrawal. I mean nothing in the whole 3 days it's to be worn for. No withdrawal relief let alone a high. I don't have a crazy tolerance at all.
You are supposed to start feeling something after 12 hours or so.
I'm talking about the patch applied to the skin... as it's supposed to be used. If you smoke it or gum it or whatever else then it's a whole different matter as you'll be absorbing a lot more fentanyl at once and that is dangerous. I haven't got experience with fentanyl in that way.

The patch worn on the skin isn't really suitable for withdrawal as it takes ages to kick in. You'd have to apply it long before you actually quit the other opioid so you're not left in withdrawal waiting for it to kick in. I wouldn't use patches for that purpose. It's like using extended release tablets to avoid withdrawal. They're not fast-acting and fast acting is what you want when you're trying to get some relief from withdrawal.

Last edited:
I guess I have just ended up with the attitude that tiny increases above your daily dose is a nice subtle effect. Very subtle. Of course if you feel zero, that's no good, lol. I hope no one cheeks this shit. Way too dangerous.

Using a 12mcg fentanyl patch transdermally is the same as using 30mg of oral morphine daily.
It's basically nothing for someone who abuses opioids and especially heroin.

I'm referring to the patch applied to the skin and so an hourly delivery of 12mcg of fentanyl into the bloodstream.
It goes without saying if you use the patch in another inappropriate way the fentanyl absorbed would be way more than that and potentially make you OD.
Source of the equivalence https://www.gloshospitals.nhs.uk/gps/treatment-guidelines/opioid-equivalence-chart/

Very much doubt a heroin user would feel anything from a whole 12mcg patch even.
A few months ago I was doing oxycodone and morphine in dosages that were still therapeutic and I felt absolutely nothing from a 50mcg patch applied to try and avoid withdrawal. I mean nothing in the whole 3 days it's to be worn for. No withdrawal relief let alone a high. I don't have a crazy tolerance at all.
I'm talking about the patch applied to the skin... as it's supposed to be used. If you smoke it or gum it or whatever else then it's a whole different matter as you'll be absorbing a lot more fentanyl at once and that is dangerous. I haven't got experience with fentanyl in that way.

The patch worn on the skin isn't really suitable for withdrawal as it takes ages to kick in. You'd have to apply it long before you actually quit the other opioid so you're not left in withdrawal waiting for it to kick in. I wouldn't use patches for that purpose. It's like using extended release tablets to avoid withdrawal. They're not fast-acting and fast acting is what you want when you're trying to get some relief from withdrawal.
I agree that since 12 mcg is the starting dose for patches it will not be worthwhile cutting them, nor is it usually recommended (I was prescribed fentanyl patches for 2 years for chronic pain). Anyway, my doctor said that some people experience little to no analgesic effects from their first patch. I don’t remember if he gave a scientific reason for this, but it’s possible having a higher tolerance might affect this. Just a guess.

cut the patch into strips and put it on foil quickly run a light under it the plastic will curl up. peel the plastic off and light up the foil like your smoking h. don't waste time putting patches on

I ended up putting just one patch on the first night...just to see what/if any relief would come. Then, being the fiend that I am and of no patience...I put the other

3 on different parts of my body. I looked really cute. I will say, that over the course of a week or so, I didn't get any euphoria, but I also did not go into withdrawals.

I kept those suckers on for over a week.

I agree that since 12 mcg is the starting dose for patches it will not be worthwhile cutting them, nor is it usually recommended (I was prescribed fentanyl patches for 2 years for chronic pain). Anyway, my doctor said that some people experience little to no analgesic effects from their first patch. I don’t remember if he gave a scientific reason for this, but it’s possible having a higher tolerance might affect this. Just a guess.
Yes, I've read that only by the second patch you have built enough fentanyl steady levels in your blood to keep you from withdrawal or to experience any actual effects in general. The first one is basically not gonna do much in itself.
I might give the patches a go again in the future when I can get hold of more than one at a time. I did keep the used one. It's still got plenty of fentanyl left in there ;)
I'm the sort of person who hates having to swallow multiple tabs every 4 hours so something that lasts 3 days appeals to me only for that reason.

I've seen a tip on how to apply a patch without cutting it. Was from a veterinary video where the vet applies one on a cat. She said to just keep the other half covered with the film it comes covered with basically so only one sticky half is exposed to the skin. It's brilliant. You cut the film in half, not the patch itself.
This is for the matrix type ones of course. I would never cut the actual patch itself because I couldn't find any reputable info on whether it affects anything.

Last edited:

I took a norco to get away from withdraws and they wore off so my friend gave me 3 patches and so far its kept the withdraws away.