• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Fentanyl patch dosage question.

ep198629

Greenlighter
Hi, I'm new to this site but I had a question about Fentanyl patch dosing. I know these types of questions are asked a lot on here. I have used several opiate/opioid dosage calculators and think I should ok but I just wanted to get some input because these patches scare me.

Ok, so here are the details. I am currently a daily user of opiates, hydromorphone specifically, prescribed legally for medical reasons, and I use around 32mg intranasally (8mg 4 times/day) on a daily basis and have been doing so for 3-4 months. As always at the end of the month I run out early and have to deal with withdrawals. I was also prescribed fentanyl patches (mylan matrix style) but have been apprehensive about taking them. Basically I want to put one on and see if it will stop or take the edge off the withdrawals. The patches I have are 50mcg/hour. I was intending on putting 1 50mcg/hour patch on my skin as prescribed. First question, would it be safe to do so with my current opiate/opioid tolerance? Second question, would this amount be enough to reduce or stop withdrawals from the hydromorphone? After reading so much about these patches they really scare the hell out of me. I'm only looking to prevent withdrawals with these.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Also, any advice on how to properly use these patches to deal with withdrawals with my current tolerance. Thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks pillman, so all joking aside it should be safe based on my current tolerance? The 50mcg/hour patch shouldn't be enough for me to overdose on?

Thanks pillman, so all joking aside it should be safe based on my current tolerance? The 50mcg/hour patch shouldn't be enough for me to overdose on?

no you will be fine aviod heating it if your not looking for a buzz

Ok I appreciate it. Basically I'm just looking for reassurance because I've read so much about people oding on these things. Thanks again.

Ok I appreciate it. Basically I'm just looking for reassurance because I've read so much about people oding on these things. Thanks again.
As long as your sticking with stuff that is consistent ie patches not analogues fent is pretty over hyped yes it's dangerous but if handled with care it's fine

Ok cool. How long would this patch take to start working after I stick it on? Also, it's effective to cut the patch into smaller pieces to make a dose around 100mcg and chew it? I'm getting kind of desperate at this point and if I felt that it was safe to cut the patch into smaller pieces and chew on it I probably would do it. It's suppose to contain like 5.1mg of fentanyl... so if I cut it into 51 smaller almost equal sized squares the doses should be around 100mcg/square.

Ok cool. How long would this patch take to start working after I stick it on? Also, it's effective to cut the patch into smaller pieces to make a dose around 100mcg and chew it? I'm getting kind of desperate at this point and if I felt that it was safe to cut the patch into smaller pieces and chew on it I probably would do it. It's suppose to contain like 5.1mg of fentanyl... so if I cut it into 51 smaller almost equal sized squares the doses should be around 100mcg/square.

i doubt you could cut it into 51 equal pieces. with your tolerance you should feel something off an 1/8th of that patch chewed NOTICE this is dangerous and people die from this but with your tolerance you should be able to handle it. if you feel yourself nodding to hard spit it out and STAY THE FUCK AWAKE. note the caps mean i am shouting.

Yup I agree with everything pillman said, u should be fine. If ur just trying to get rid of wd symptoms then just wear the patch and it'll work great for that! If u chew about an eigth of it then just make sure u don't pass out with it still in ur mouth, make sure u take it out first cause it'll still be releasing goodies while ur asleep. With ur tolerance u should be all set though...

Thanks for the replies pillman and cliffy. Im really ignorant about these patches. I think ill just wear it to keep it as safe as possible. How long does it take to start working after I put the patch on?

Shit you start to feel better after an hr, if that. You'll start feeling it "work" after 3-4hrs and I think u will feel it pretty good because of the cross tolerance and all that science stuff lol. Enjoy the pain relief and probably a nice little long buzz on top as a nice little treat ;)

Great, thanks again Cliffy. I didnt put it on last night, woke up feeling miserable as hell this morning, so I put the patch on about 40 min ago. Hoping this helps.

No problem at all brother, it's my pleasure! Please keep us updated and let us know how things are going if u can. Your in my thoughts and I hope u can beat this shit man! That was a great idea to not take it until this morning, lord knows it ain't easy to not dose when u have a nice juicy patch sitting there calling u and whispering sweet nothings in your ear. U should feel even better since I waited until u were even more sick to dose up! Your going about this right and it seems like ur mind and body are on the same page and that's a big help when trying to get trough the wds. Stay positive and keep ur eyes on the prize and you'll be through this shit before u know it, good luck and god bless ep!!! The force is strong within you partner! Lol...

Haha, yeah the force is strong me sometimes... although not when im trying to control that dilaudid usage ;) I actually feel a bit better now, was actually able to get a little food in my stomach which is a miracle. Your help and kind words are much appreciated and I'll definitely let you guys know what happened.

good to hear just dont fuck yourself with the fent as i did. this shit blows yer tolerance to shit and the WDs are far worse than that of dilaudid.

Yeah pillman I definitely dont want to send my tolerance sky high from the fentanyl, im just going to wear it until tomorrow night then take it off since ill be getting my dilaudid refill the next morning. I definitely have relief from the wds right now, feel comfortable actually. Wish I would have slapped this patch on sooner but as I said I've been very apprehensive about taking them.

Just an update. I took the patch off yesterday after wearing it for about 6 hours... I dont know I just cant get comfortable with that thing on my arm. I luckily found about 2mg of dilaudid, did 1mg this morning... suffered through most of the day, and just did the other 1mg now so im feeling ok. Dilaudid refill tomorrow morning so I just need to go to sleep and wake up and ill be good. Thanks again for the input cliffy and pillman, can't say how much I appreciate it. Next time I have to deal with wds im just going to put a patch on, even though I dont like them id rather do that than suffer again.