• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids fentanyl or methadone

Hezman94

Bluelighter
Is the withdrawal from fentanyl patches worse than methadone??
Taking 37microgram a day and struggling to make it last the three days and had problems with em falling off.
But oxy doesnt cut it for me on its own and not sure if long acting morphine and shorttec would be better/
fentanyl really helps when its working though.
and I was going to go on methadone but cba with months worth of withdrawal if ever come off.
Also I know fentanl is very strong and traise your tolerance, does it block opiates like meth (saturate the receptors)
I was on durogesic 2.1g fentanyl total 12.5mcg a hour switched to macrifen which has 1.4mg in a 12mcg patch I was so ill, and you can't even chew little bits of them there proper abuse proof! which I dont mind as fentnayl is not worth rsaising ya tolerance for. I want them to work for my pain and so im not worried bout taking a pill.

Im gonna tell doctor this and hope he keep me on. What would they do though if the patches dont last 72 hours would they put me on 50microgram or would thy let me have 37 every 72hours as when ive left a 12 12 and 25 on i felt well better as i always leave one on whilst other kick in especially the macrifen.

Look - short acting opioids will give you more acute but far shorter WDs, methadone will give you potentially months of WDs (I quit methadone on Jan 9th this year and I'm still experiencing acute symptoms like RLS, diarrhea, lack of sleep, some sweating, etc. ) and I expect to have PAWS for probably 6mths or so.

Personally - methadone should be a last resort, going through a rough few days bouncing off Fent, Smack, Oxy etc - is far preferable.

Methadone can be a fantastic route to sobriety if taken properly. The trick is to reduce very slowly but consistently. Do it right and the withdrawal is negligible when you finally jump off.

If you have Mylan matrix patches you can cut them into progressively smaller and smaller pieces and taper like this. I did the same and it was a very easy withdrawal when I finally jumped off on a patch size equating to 3 mcg per hour.

I am not familiar with macriphen. But I can tell you that Mylan matrix patches lasted almost a full day longer than any of the gel patches which only lasted 48 hrs. I would get this brand if you can. Cvs has it (but getting them to actually fill it for you is another story). Dont chew patches as this is highly wasteful. The buccal and oral bioavailability is far lower (down to 30 %) compared to 100% bioavailability of transdernally absorbed fent.

Methadone is considered one of the most physically addicting and worse withdrawals of any opioid. Sometimes lasting for several weeks and months of PAWS. Methadone also has so anomalous pharmacology that I've heard may he to blame ( a long with it's long half life) for the protracted withdrawal.

I have not withdrawn from methadone but have from suboxone which has a very long half life like methadone. Even though I tapered the sub down to 0.2 mg per day, the withdrawal was much worse than the fentanyl

I fear ever taking methadone because of the withdrawal stories I've heard (even with tapering)

Last edited: