• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Feeling soul being sucked out while dreaming

Lucid56

Greenlighter
I've never gotten sleep paralysis but my sister gets it and I'd be aware of the experience if ever encountered.
Though there are moments in my dreams where I FEEL happening in the same time the dream is occurring as if I'm awake. This aware feeling only happens when I have dreams that my soul is being stolen its energy from, like I'm being sucked out. And I feel it whilst in the dream as if I'm awake. It never feels like my soul fully leaves, though feels like something keeps trying but never succeeds then just leaves and I wake up and just turn sleeping position. I've felt this on account of 3 times in dreams. And it's always realistic settings of being in my own home (than my normal dreams of altered reality we most have).

The first one I remember in my dream I was in my bathroom brushing my hair, when all of a sudden a sense of darkness felt over me like my energy being sucked out of my soul and me growing weak and collapsing to the tiles of my floor. But then waking up. I feel this feeling happening whilst in the dream though I can't awaken till it's over or gone.The second time I remember in my dream I was in my house as well, I was leaving through the garage doors with my sister when I was passing through the door I felt a sudden take over me and I freeze as I have no will or strength over whats being drained out of me that feels as my soul. My sister looks at me as she could feel what's going on but can't do anything. I then awaken from my dream after the feeling is gone with no power to awaken during. The third recent account in my dream I was In my room, sitting on my bed when I felt a very strange feeling then a weird screech of noise through my ears as I collapsed into my bed or sat still as I feel being drained out with no control just conscious will of what's happening till I awaken after it's just gone and over.

My question is has anyone ever experienced something like this? It can't be sleep paralysis for I am perfectly in my dream I while I feel this happening over me. Is it just a dream? it feels as my soul is trying to be stolen and taken from my body. What is this? I feel it all and for all the feelings I encounter in my dreams that I only feel once I awaken, these accounts I feel them during my dream as I'm awake.

that is sleep paralysis. or a demonic spirit is slowly sucking your life-form from you, every night - the jury is still up in the air on this one ;)

sleep-paralysis.jpg

as you can see above, this has been humanity's problem since long, long before you. so at least take comfort in that. thankfully, I've never fully dealt with the situation. but sometimes I have. I woke up from a terrifying dream a couple days ago, and in my half-awake haze I looked to a pile of clothes I was hanging from the top of an open drawer - it looked like a flying monkey demon taunting me (whether it was "really there" or just a figment of my half-awake brain - who knows? either way, it is equally real)

you have to stand up for yourself. I said in a strong voice - leave NOW - I command you in the name of Jesus Christ. the bad atmospheric feeling (you know what I'm talking about) was instantly gone. now was it the actual power of Jesus Christ? who knows, who cares, let's not have this discussion, it worked either way

there are both spiritual & scientific methods to help you out, here. you can easily find them from a far more reputable source than me - I am just sharing with you a person anecdote

Hi Lucid

im going to send this thread to the philosophy & spirituality sub-forum where it has a better chance of getting replies.

SO > P&S

These are somewhat mysterious phenomena that I wound not claim to understand as either a professional, a Bluelighter, an occasional lay student of theology, or just as a fellow human. In spiritual terms, such spirits, if they are such, are known to flee from the name of Christ, this has even been known to happen with the "UFO-abduction" phenomena which, on a more materialistic-scientistic approach to the matter is not very different in it's etiology from "demons," the "fæ," and "nightmare-spirit," which axl has above given you one of several well known late Renaissance to early Modern visual representations of. The spiritual interpretation of this phenomenon invokes demonology and from both mainstream Catholic and Evangelical perspectives, the Holy Name of Jesus is often immediately effective; a more severe situation may respond only to more serious intervention on the spiritual realm by a priest, etc., and pretty much every religious tradition attempts to address this somehow.

From a clinical perspective you're suffering from sleep paralysis and/or "night terrors" (a term much more often used in children.) These are quite common. Treatment will usually first begin by addressing "sleep hygiene" with particular reference to the regularity of hours of sleep and the use of any substances (including caffeine and alcohol, the most likely culprits in the general i.e. non-BL) population, and other measures (limit your exposure to electronic screens 2 hours before sleep, use your bed only for sleep and sexual intercourse) but in more drastically distressing cases unresponsive to lifestyle changes etc. pharmacological intervention may be considered ranging from various anti depressants to sleeping meds to very low dose atypical anti psychotic agents (don't get put off these just because the name); it may require trial and error.

If you smoke marijuana before bed, stop. on the other hand some people find they get a good night's sleep with pot and the withdrawals from it give them sleep disturbances of various kinds.

As you can see there is not much consensus and many answers to the matter which is to say many different answers is no specific one to give to you. Treatment of things like this is more art than science. Something will work however spiritual lifestyle pharmacological whatever it may be most of these non degenerative imtrusions into your consciousness of unnatural and can be fought off either natural or unnatural in themselves but which restore us to equilibrium.

I hate to bounce a thread around excessively but perhaps it is best suited to mental health; if we do not get a lot of attention to the spiritual issues involved let's plan to move it there in a few days.

Last edited:
I've had sleep paralysis, it was like being half awake so able to see my usual surroundings (or so I thought it least) but I couldn't move or speak. Usually I would be aware that there was someone or something with me that was evil ...like I was being watched by a menacing force that was getting closer and intent on causing me some kind of hell. Absolutely terrifying. Kind of similar to a horrible nightmare, but much much more real.

It reminds of lucid nightmares I used to have where I knew I had to wake myself up but couldn't...

It hasn't happened for years, I don't know why it stopped ...it never happened that frequently in the first place, maybe a few time a year.. But I'm very glad it has stopped coz they aint nice!

Last edited:
Mind awake, body asleep is for sure sleep paralysis but there are many things which can bring that on. Sometimes it's something mundane like low blood sugar, stress, or some other impairment in the sleep cycle. Drug use can do it too. 80% of the time it's something like that. The other 20%... usually something messing with you.

Normally with sleep paralysis you are aware of your bedroom but can't move. You may even see your bedroom or other parts of your home, though they have a different quality to them than when awake. That's because you're out of body, but still in your body. In other words you are in OBE form but haven't stepped out yet. Out of body vision works differently... you can see 360 degrees at once, there is a sort of foggy quality to it. Carl Jung explored some of these states in his work with the Senoi people, and later dreamworkers developed cognitive methods and subconscious activation queues to help regular experiencers deal with it.

The soul sucking thing is not normal. Sounds like you need to setup some protections in your bedroom. We are at our most vulnerable while asleep. It may be that some spirit low life is attacking you and that's what triggers the sleep paralysis, because on some level you're aware it's happening and you're trying to escape it. Problem is, it's hard to go from deep sleep to fight or flight. So you get the adrenaline but your body won't work. Also, because you're not adept at controlling your dream ego, you're trying to respond to non-physical phenomena with your physical body, when you need to respond with your consciousness.

Might seem huge, scary and demonic but it's not usually a high level being doing the attack and so they're usually easy to dispatch.

In spiritual terms, such spirits, if they are such, are known to flee from the name of Christ, this has even been known to happen with the "UFO-abduction" phenomena .

that is an interesting point applicable to my 1st reply, that I did forget to bring up too

Might seem huge, scary and demonic but it's not usually a high level being doing the attack and so they're usually easy to dispatch.

also very true. that was also the underlying point to my 1st post as well

When you rebuke a spirit, you can call on the name of something that evokes a sense of power for you, whether that's Christ, another deity, etc. If it's an authentic rebuke then it will raise your frequency and they won't be able to stay attached to you. Usually. It's the fear, panic, and terror that keeps you locked in combat with them.

But it's hard to do this in sleep paralysis because without training it's hard to focus your actions. That's why I'm saying you need to setup protections in your room before you even go to sleep.

Hi Lucid

im going to send this thread to the philosophy & spirituality sub-forum where it has a better chance of getting replies.

SO > P&S

Thank you sigmond for moving this to the appropriate forum for best advising.

It's very hard to comprehend this is sleep paralysis, for when it's described to me it seems he/she is stuck, unable to move, seeing their room/living area they're in as if they're awake seeing it. This is weird, because I'm in a dream, though this state of dreams brings me to areas of my own home.

It's like that Harry Potter the deathly hollows, episode where the spirits are attacking coming one by one sucking the soul out of Harry, being unable to move while it's happening, conscious of it happening though. It's like being in a hypnotized stage.

I hope I regain awareness next time this happens, and a higher consciousness to be able to call on a higher name at the moments this happens during.

All input each had its own message, thanks to all, and more is welcome :)

I just had this same feeling, twice now actually. I can't remember the first but the latest one was where I had a dream where I was at a school. After some nonsense stuff about jumping the rail to get to the library, the whole building started tilting down. By the time it was almost vertical, I was the only one left in the building. I tried running in the opposite direction, but the angle and gravity eventually pulled me down. I was at the door to the school, with only a desk and a wall in between me and certain death. However, I could feel that outside the door, there was something resembling maybe a black hole and a hurricane sucking everyone in. At this point, I am still sleeping and I decide that there is no reason to hang on, it's a dream right? My curiosity also played a role; I wanted to know what was outside. This would be my biggest mistake ever in a dream. I let myself go and I was pulled outside by that invisible vortex. I could see all the cars and stuff being whipped around me. I am still asleep and now I know something is wrong. I pull my dream self out of the vortex, and immediately my vision goes red. At this point, I felt as if something was being drained from me. It wasn't energy, more like my soul. The world did grow colder with each passing second. I imagine this is what it feels like to be kissed by a dementor (Harry Potter). The light then fades into some grayish swirl and now I can see the other wall of my real life room. The red light goes into this little dot and then another one appears. This is the sleep paralysis part. I know I am consciously awake, but all I can do is watch. The room seems to take on a darker quality, and my eyes focus on these two red circles. I realize these two dots are eyes and now I can see the whole body. It was about 2 and 1/2 feet I guess, and looked like a shorter, stockier version of Slenderman without the tentacles. It had this wicked grin on it's face and had what I assumed to be teeth, and then it was gone.

I was really scared and confused when I had this dream, and strangely enough, I don't consider it a nightmare. I don't know what it means, so I've been searching around for clues. The rebuking spirit method seems helpful, except I'm an atheist ,so I guess I'll have to find a different solution.

Can anyone tell me what happened afterwards and if you feel it was related to these types of dreams?

I second what Foreigner said, but if it was me, I'd jump to the conclusion of parasitic attachment, or cord of attachment.

It could be an entity ...

Or it could be how you conscious mind is perceiving this as a way of the integration of some action the sub conscious and super conscious minds are working out? When we dream the definitions of "the filtering rules' are relaxed so that we can interface between consciousness levels. Sometimes those operations are manifested in dreams, other times they operate silently. Sort of like synesthesia...

So it's kind of like my consciousness seeing the other deeper levels? I also think it might be a message as well that I need to change something.

That's a lucid dream. I used to get those when I was younger and they're definitely kind of weird because you may or may not be aware that you're asleep, but you definitely are

AP (astral projection) is more of a conscious experience where your chakras start to buzz to where you can hear it in your head just before you climb out of your physical awareness with your ethereal body. I've heard of people who practise AP and never learned how to control it so they sometimes accidentally fall out of their physical awareness like while out walking or doing other conscious things

Maybe that helps unless you already knew these things. I have a book that talks about incubus and succubus, among other types of demons and angels but it isn't something I have first-hand experience with so I can't even claim to understand it or what it's supposed to be. I've even been awakened by a demon calling my name and staring at me but it was in my closet and I didn't have any dreams associated with that thing. I know there are forces we don't understand but it's still possible to learn about forces we didn't previously understand

When there is entity involvement, they are usually trying to get you to FEEL a lower emotion, like fear or sex. Then they drain you. They usually do this by making you feel afraid or turning you on, and it feels distinctly like there is another agent at work. Once you enter the state they want you in, they feed off you. When you wake up, you'll feel power drained... like you have no energy.

Sleep paralysis is different. People experience fear and panic in SP because they can't move and don't understand what's happening. You don't usually wake up feeling drained. You just wake up feeling WTF and residual adrenaline.

If there is entity involvement, then you must setup protections in your space to keep them out. If it's you not being able to stay in your body, then you need to work on grounding yourself before and during sleep.

That sounds terrible. I've noticed with demons that they've never been able to physically mess with me but if I walk by where I saw them that part of the room can be cold even if it's summertime and the rest of the room is warm. I can't imagine things messing with my head though. That's unacceptable

I don't have a mirror, but maybe it was astral projection. It seems logical. Then again, there may be other forces at work in this world that we don't know of. That lower feeling? I guess I felt kind of hopeless, like there was no reason to keep fighting. Now that I think about it, it may have been a combination of that entity stuff and a bit of sleep paralysis at the end.

If it's astral projection, you'll see your own body while your astral body goes elsewhere. You'd also remember it because you're not asleep when it happens (but can be in a trance state just before sleep could occur) and usually you have to induce breathing exercises and focus to make it happen. Signs to look for are a bang noise and feeling like you woke up outside your physical body but seeing that you're in another part of the room or house, vibrations in your spine up to your head before it happens and experiencing 4-dimensional vision

Here's a video that explains AP pretty well, hopefully you don't mind me posting it here:

Last edited:
I found this page because I had a very similar experience last night. Right before I went to sleep I saw two to three half dollar sized blue purple orbs fly from one of my kids rooms to the other. I pointed them out to my spouse then we fell asleep not really thinking much more on it.

in my “dream” I was in my childhood home (where my parents both passed) in the back yard. A man which looked like a twisted version of my spouse was standing there and he grabs the back of my head and pulls me in to a “kiss”when this smoke swirl grey comes out of his mouth and into my throat. It is sucking my soul out. I start getting scared, and then I just get angry and fight. The thing breaks off from me, then disappears in a cloud of smoke after smiling at me. I awaken in my bed room, but the room looks off. There was a cloud of black and everything was sort of shimmering and moving around. I can’t talk but eventually I awaken my husband and ask him to look at the ceiling. He’s half asleep and says he can’t see anything. He kind of ignores it until he hears a strange sound and is startled. I feel so drained I go back to sleep but there’s a feeling of absolute dread. I once again get angry and I feel this feeling through my body and I’m out again. I wake up some time later and the room is back to normal.
I am not feeling well and haven’t been for some time.

rhis is not the first time I have dealt with things, but the first time I have dealt with this particular one.

I have known a lot of death. My best friend died after a few weeks of complaining something was smothering her in her sleep that she described as a blacker than black smoke. I am really on edge.
Help?