• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

feeling of rain on window?

fernboy18

Greenlighter
hi,

does anyone know what neurotransmitters are released when you feel nice and cozy when the rain is hitting the window?

Cosiamine might be related to enkephalins hmmm... but N,N-dimethylrainamine is really making me curious. The dissociatives, especially DXM, have these unique nostalgic feelings to them sometimes, bringing up long forgotten memories - this I'd associate with that term!

Need to try some oxytocin nasal spray if I'm able to get my hands onto one.

<3

I would imagine it is a cascading effect rather then anyone transmitter. There are a lot of transmitters doing a lot of things all at once in you so it always involves all of them and for natural feelings I would imagine it is a rounded response across all receptor sites. Just because we are complex.

Just my idea no proof of anything.

This is true of course, but for me somehow there's really an unique feeling about every possible chemical alternation in the brain ... I'm pretty good at identifying effects and side effects from just threshold dosages of any psychoactive etc.. would make a quite interesting experiment to check if you could fool me into placebo or nocebo effect. Just that overall overly sensitive stuff that's driving me crazy.

Last edited:
This is true of course, but for me somehow there's really an unique feeling about every possible chemical alternation in the brain ... I'm pretty good at identifying effects and side effects from just threshold dosages of any psychoactive etc.. would make a quite interesting experiment to check if you could fool me into placebo or nocebo effect. Just that overall overly sensitive stuff that's driving me crazy.

'Tis true, of course, that drugs produce interoceptive stimuli that can be perceived and discriminated. But neurotransmitters don't work the same way as drugs -- neurotransmitters work in a discete part of the brain, in specific pathways. Usually drug cues are usually mediated by one specific brain region, but obviously most drugs act in multiple regions -- that means that most drug effects go unnoticed subjectively.

So dopamimetic, what do you experience when CRF is released in your ventral tegmental area? ;)

I think there is something to be said about the rain providing an auditory distraction that would help silence the voice in the head and shut off thoughts, thus leading to a sense of peace. In that sense it could be thought of as a lack of some neurotransmitters firing that contributes to the sense of peace.

Studies have indeed shown that people sleep better where there is consistent rain.