• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Feeling guilty for old favorite music

cripkeeper

Bluelighter
Okay so this morning I was getting ready for the day, listening to older favorites. I graduated high school in 2000 so many of the best songs in my opinion came out between 90-2000.
I always start out really enjoying listening to my favorites from this era. However often a few songs in I begin to feel depressed and stupid for listening, almost like I'm trying to live in the past. That's not my intention at all.
Idk... I love these songs, but can't help but feel sort of alone and isolated, like no one else is still listening to this stuff. They've moved on with life. I'm not trying to recapture anything. But can't help but feel that way. It kinda saddens me that I can't enjoy without feeling stupid.
Any one else experience anything similar?

music is timeless :)

I must be a dinosaur then

Long ago and far away in a different age
when I was a dumb young guy
fossilized photos of my life then
illustrate what an easy prey I must have been
standing in the sun, idiot savant
something like a monument
I'm a dinosaur, somebody is digging my bones

ignorance has alway been something I excel in
followed by naivete and pride
doesn't take a scientist to see how
any clever predator could have a piece of me
standing in the sun, idiot savant
something like a monument

when I look back on the past
it's a wonder I'm not yet extinct
all the mistakes and bad judgements I made
nearly pushed me to the brink
it doesn't pay to be too nice
it's the one thing I have learned
still, I made my fossil bed
now I toss and turn

King Crimson - Dinosaur

Last edited:
Certain song take me back to the past and what was going on in my life at the time. I never feel stupid for listening to any music ever tho. Why should you?

I sort of know the feeling. Music does powerfully bring you back to a point in your life that you first found it or listened to it heavily. Also inasmuch as drugs or really any other lifestyle factors or relationship issues and what not were involved, that can come back too. Guilty, though? I think there's no reason to feel guilty. It can be good or even healthy to revisit the past, separate from the fact that you can simply enjoy the music for what it is, even if it contains reminders, and definitely even if you're the only one listening to it (who cares?)

and the older i got my tastes certainly broadened also the psychedelics helped with that:)

Yeah bringing up memories can be a good thing or bad lol.
When I'm on weed aND drink it definitely takes me to another level of apriciation. Mushrooms and x are the only real psychedelics I've ever gotten my hands on. My goal is to try lsd at least once.
Some of my favorite music is 60s psychedelic things like the beach boys, monkees, etc. I'd really like to know what they are talking about... it's frustrating to want to and like it yet not quite be in the zone.

^why not google those bands lyrics? Just to be sure youre not misunderstanding what theyre singing. Im sure because those bands are so old that others certainly have also wanted to fully understand their prose.

I am all about the nostalgia when it comes to music. Think about all of the crap kids are growing up on nowadays to whatever you grew up on. This is probably how most older folks feel when comparing their music to that of a younger generation I would imagine.

Whatever music speaks to your soul is certainly nothing to ever be ashamed of. Music, like most of the best things in life, is totally subjective. It makes me sad to think that most kids nowadays have never even heard of The Doors, Pink Floyd, or Led Zeppelin.

Music can make me feel all emotions, sometimes at once which can be overwhelming. Bring up old memories and people I had completely forgotten about. Feel old feelings I didn't know I was still capable of feeling. Sometimes feeling sad is necessary. Without sadness there would be no happiness, you know?

If they even understood themselves, a lot of that music is more about process than product.

I was class of 99 myself. Everyone likes some music from way back when. It only gets obnoxious or pathetic in my opinion when someone is like "The only good music ever is from when I was a teenager". If you're still willing to try new things I can't even throw a little hipster shade your way.

Oddly enough Cosmic, whenever I'm hanging with the younger set they are way more into 60s/70s arena rock way, way more than my set from back then.

<---class of 2000 before they kicked me out...ended up graduating in a different state.

Here is what you do. You get out your sony discman, you pop in Radiohead-Pablo honey, or Smashing Pumpkins-Siamese dream and you walk around staring motherfuckers down....middle fingers optional.

If you want to really go back like sherman and peabody in the wayback machine...put on Luniz-I got five on it

I listen to heaps of old music. Most of it from long before i was born.

Having said that, i wonder if it is just something to do with how well some 90s music may be perceived to have not aged as well as music from the 50s and 60s or something, that does seem really timeless.

I love heaps of 90s music, but for some reason (is it the music, its familiarity, the digital production technologies of the era? Solid state amplifiers???) some of it sounds "dated" to my ear.
By contrast, the warm sounds of old valve amps and mics, as well as the way music was recorded (onto tape, not digitally - and performed live in the studio, not overdubbed or using click track) means that a lot of earlier music sounds much more organic and "human".
This is the case for a lot of rock n roll music anyway.

A lot of 80s and 90s stuff is identifiable by obvious sounds that are either related to music trends (hip hop, house/techno/EDM, post-nirvana 'grunge' etc) and musical technology innovations (and fads, like using click track and electronic drum backing in rock music to maintain consistent tempos).
Some of this stuff sounds great a few decades on, whereas i think some of it sounds a bit tired, or passé.
This isn't a reflection on the music itself, just the way we hear it and think of it.

But honestly, i think it is better not to care about what other people might think of what you listen to - it's what you listen to.
And the way popular taste seems to go around in nostaligic circles, it will probably be the height of cool again any day now (no matter what it is)
If you wanna 'fess up about the particulars of your embarassment, this recent thread is the perfect place to share your 'shame' ;)

Last edited:
I get like this too! Whenever I hear an old favorite, I get real nostalgic and sometimes that nostalgia isn't that great. There's also many songs I cannot listen to anymore because I had enjoyed them during past drug use that I regret very much. I've heard music can bring nostalgia quite often to people. Many people's emotions can "turn" and leave them uneasy when listening to songs they enjoyed in the past. Do you miss that decade? If that was your high school years, I don't blame you. Those are some of the years that you may be figuring yourself out still so I remember many songs from high school that I cannot listen to anymore without generating anxiety.

feedtheSoul

Okay so this morning I was getting ready for the day, listening to older favorites. I graduated high school in 2000 so many of the best songs in my opinion came out between 90-2000.
I always start out really enjoying listening to my favorites from this era. However often a few songs in I begin to feel depressed and stupid for listening, almost like I'm trying to live in the past. That's not my intention at all.
Idk... I love these songs, but can't help but feel sort of alone and isolated, like no one else is still listening to this stuff. They've moved on with life. I'm not trying to recapture anything. But can't help but feel that way. It kinda saddens me that I can't enjoy without feeling stupid.
Any one else experience anything similar?

I graduated the same year as you did, although I live in England... I love listening to music from when I was young. Songs hold memories. I don't want to live in the past but I do like to remember it... It reminds me of things I like to do, things I wanted to do and also things I should never have done!!!

There are some songs that trigger a less desirable emotional reaction but that's all part of it. I'd be lost without my music from the 90's!!!

yeah music from the nineties was amazing. Don't stop listening to it....even when your kids want to listen to something else, just tell them you are gunna school them on how to feel shit.