• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Feel Like Life’s Pointless?

You're alive by chance, there is no point to your life, there is no meaning to it, you weren't born with an essence. Your just here. But it doesn't mean you cannot enjoy it, why does life have to need a purpose or why does one need to justify why they're here.

there really is no point at this stage in history. there are so many people that people don't really need to have kids. it's almost a bad idea for everyone to have children because of over-population, so people are left lonely with out anybody to serve but themselves.

i'd just find things you enjoy or appreciate. i believe in god and i believe god enjoys people that truely appreciate things... i think it'd be sad to think someone didn't have some kind of music or art or movies or whatever that they really felt were made for them to enjoy... i don't know, other suggestions are to get a hobby, go for walks, bike ride, skating of all kinds, all types of hobbies really, watching stuff grow. a lot of people get a lot out of hobbies with breathing exercises like yoga or tai chi. there is a book "The science of breath" i don't personally breath the exact way that the book teaches, but it kind of gives some idea of how to achieve getting more relaxed or natural highs with breathing.

i'd say put yourself first. try not to give off bad vibes. just stay as positive as you can but with that you can put yourself first. save money for stuff you like and then after you find time to do things you like, feel nostolgic about them and realize you can do that thing or things you enjoy or things like it again... just enjoy the food you have to eat and feel grateful for it. at the very least i'd appreciate getting to eat a couple times a day.

something i do is i check out all parts of every culture like music and movies and stuff and i try to figure out why people like it. this is if i get sick of the things that i personally love. sometimes i find myself in other people's shoes and really enjoying it.

something i do is i check out all parts of every culture like music and movies and stuff and i try to figure out why people like it. this is if i get sick of the things that i personally love. sometimes i find myself in other people's shoes and really enjoying it.

Cultures can be pretty intricate.

And the reality is we never actually are in other people's shoes.

But I understand the spirit of your comment and it's definitely rewarding to stay open minded to new ways of being.

you're a small part of the big picture and you have an effect on everybody around you - and it's the little things - like you just happened to be there with a pair of jumper cables for the tweekers with a dead bateery, stuck in the old grocery store parking lot that closed 2 years ago

things like that

I preface this by saying I am not a nihilist, I despise nihilism and think it is a cancer of the mind.

However, I do believe life is also inherently pointless, or more accurately; life is absurd. Both meaningless and meaning exist simultaneously. This universe's natural state is chaos and absurdity. Meaning and purpose can be found within the absurd chaos, but the chaos on a whole is meaningless. Yin and Yang.

The purpose of life is subjective and whatever you want it to be. It's the search that drives us, it's the search that binds us.

I think the average person believes that the meaning of life will just come to them and fall in their lap one day. That's like trying to understand the plot of a book by using it as a pillow, but never actually reading it. The purpose of life is actively manufactured, not gifted to you.

In essence, I think that the meaning of life is to search for the meaning of life. The existential journey. The universe became self aware when it created you, now your job is to find out why. Write your story.

"What was I doing here? What was the meaning of this trip? Was I just roaming around in a drug frenzy of some kind? Or had I really come out here to Las Vegas to work on a story?" - Raoul Duke

Yin Yang Loop GIF by yux

Last edited:
Have you ever had this feeling, and if so did you ever get over it?
Life generally is what u make it.
If u feel ur life is pointless then change that.
I’m 45 now and I know that life can change at any time for better or worse. All u can do is strive to make it as good as u can.
Even if u just learn to enjoy the little things in life. People put too much into materialistic things looking for happiness.
Learn to not want and u will never need.

How u feel today u might not feel in a month, 6months or a year.

If u feel depressed or suicidal there’s people u can talk to

Have you ever had this feeling
Yes and still do not have any knowledge to pass along other than help others when needed and try to be kind. Its draining at times but all I have.
I do have family (wife and two cats) and this is blessing and curse. Never know when this disappears.
There is a lot of this thought of it all being pointless and im on board sometimes as well but we cannot see (or are discouraged from) the "big picture" or even if there is one.
Im kinda stuck on why we do it for decades. There are ups and downs for sure but I tend to think that there may be a grand scheme to it all and whatever that may be Im trying to embrace it.
Changes. It happens. Always has always will. Some I find a little more difficult to "embrace".
Hope all is OK with ya, today.
<3

ed
i still have this feeling sometimes but my service to my brother/sister is valuable and brings me back but we all have priceless intrinsic value imo; now what that may be......

I feel like life is pointless, but I understand it is my fault based on my decisions in life on why I am where I am currently. Its going to take a lot of work and effort. The only thing really holding me on right now is thinking how I have to be around for my parents as they get older since I owe them alot.

It is pointless. And the answers don't ever come.

Just make memories and enjoy the good times.

Also having HOPE is important. Once you don't have that you're fucked.

I often feel like life is meaningless, and I'm really trying to find meaning wherever I can. I think that we create meaning in our lives. I don't think it's inherent, but I think if you believe you've found meaning, then you have. I really hope someday that I'm able to figure out a way to give my life more meaning. Ideally, I would have something that makes me actually want to get out of bed more days than not. I really don't know where I'll find that meaning, but I know I'm going to keep searching.

Believe me, I'm not doped up on positivity. I've suffered depression on and off for almost 25 years. And in those depressive states it all seems beyond pointless.
I've self-healed over the years. Diet and exercise and good sleep helped immeasurably, but I still falter from time to time. Alcohol use and more rarely the feeling of loneliness are the only things that get me in that depressive state anymore (though I don't get suicidal anymore, thank fuck).
However, my work has given me a tremendous sense of purpose (I build art, one could say) and that anchors me.
I also derive purpose from being a support for my family, friends, and community. Especially the yout' and the oldsters.

Life's fucking cool as far as I can tell. Maybe I'm deluding myself to protect myself from the depression, but if that's what it takes then I'm going full send.

Have you ever had this feeling, and if so did you ever get over it?
Just remember that Ultimately Nothing Matters.

Things matter a lot in the here and now.

Now if you believe in such things, imagine that you're god. Obviously God can't snap his fingers and fix everything or else there wouldn't be this gigantic pile of shit existence going on. So imagine how hard of a job God has just keeping shit from going even more off the rails than it is.

Now I don't actually believe in god. Although the thought exercise of being an active god that has the power and omniscience to fix the universe will get you out of those doldrums.