• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Feds: Dealers are accountable for drug overdoses

villian

Bluelighter
A Maryland man was sentenced to more than nine years in prison for his role in a fatal drug overdose, in what prosecutors say is an effort to hold dealers accountable for the effects of their products.

Three people were indicted on charges of distributing morphine and methadone after 29-year-old Brandon Sgaggero died in a morphine and methadone overdose in March 2008.

The first of them to plead guilty, 26-year-old Luis Reyes-Torres, of Hagerstown, was sentenced Friday to nine years and seven months in prison.

He faced an enhanced sentence because his drug dealings resulted in a death, prosecutors said. It's the third time federal prosecutors in Maryland have sought in recent years to increase a dealer's sentence because a user died in an overdose.

"Drug dealers should be on notice that they can be held accountable if anyone dies after taking the drugs they distribute," Rod Rosenstein, the U.S. attorney for Maryland, said in a statement.

Court records say Reyes-Torres stole morphine, methadone and other medications from the nursing home where he worked in February 2008. He then gave those drugs to April Baker, who distributed the medication to Ryan Hartley in exchange for marijuana.

In March 2008, Hartley sold morphine and methadone to Sgaggero. Five days later, Sgaggero was found dead in his apartment from an overdose.

The three were charged with distributing morphine and methadone last August. Reyes-Torres and Baker pleaded guilty in February and Hartley pleaded earlier this month.

Baker and Hartley are scheduled to be sentenced this summer.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/local...-are-accountable-drug-overdoses#ixzz1L4hbvCsY

HEROIN: Drug makes inroads in our schools, suburbs

Some related reading in this article..

Brian Hardison has waited nearly four years to see justice come for the man who set his son's death in motion.

That day will finally arrive Tuesday, when Nathaniel Colleton goes before a federal judge to be sentenced for selling a lethal batch of heroin that killed Hardison's only son.

Evan Hardison had just turned 18 when his first taste of heroin proved to be his last. By all accounts, he was a good kid. A straight-A student, a hard worker, independent and self-sufficient. All that erased with one jab of a needle at a Mount Pleasant party in October 2007.

Evan's dad wants to see Colleton punished for that, no doubt about it. But Brian Hardison doesn't hate the man. He doesn't even know him. He just sees another lost soul from a good family who was done in by a drug deal that went horribly wrong.

Colleton, a 26-year-old father of two with no prior convictions, is facing at least 20 years in federal prison for his heroin sales, and he could well get more time, said Assistant U.S. Attorney Peter Phillips.

continued @ http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011/may/01/01heroin/

So are we also going to hold the gun store worker liable because he sold a gun used in a murder? Or a car salesman if the buyer gets in a wreck and kills someone? This is just dumb. Dealers cannot help it if a customer od's, they shouldn't be liable for the customers actions. Every time I have od'd I never once thought to blame my dealers-it was my fault for not being more careful.

That is such nonsense... If they are going to send these poor kids to jail then they should be sending Doctors to jail also, as they are the ones that prescribe the shit everyday and prescription drug over-doses happen everyday to legit patients that are prescribed those drugs... Obviously I don't think they should send doctors to jail but by this theory they should..

What bullshit..

Let's also hold phamaceutical companies accountable for the drug overdoses from their products.

If someone buys drugs, they generally know what they are doing-buying drugs. Generally, drug users don't believe the product they ingest will always be 100% pure and safe and that they will never OD. Opiate users, at least I would think, are aware of the dangers associated with opiate abuse.

Bars don't get in trouble for alcoholics dying from liver problems and they are just as responsible for drug (alcohol) related deaths.

What happens if you buy a bag from a bunch of different dudes? Do they all get charged?

This is rediculous tho. I guess if people commit a crime with a gun, whoever made the gun should be charged too.

Even better, let's charge 'God' as a serial killer for creating the opium poppy in the first place!

USA BITCH!

^

lol
please dont...

the dealers didnt make the dope most likely, nor do they create it with knowledge that it will most will do imperative damage to individuals with a particular chromosomal or cellular-system, to then release on the masses that are already sick or dying anyway - their insanely expensive pain killers may of made me even more sick for life, for some stuff that was black-boxed soon after.

if i somehow died from an OD caused by an illegally obtained narcotic, and i found out that the perfect stranger was being charged for it,,, id be one crazy-mad ghost.

WTF??? did yall read the part in the article where it said that the guy who went to jail gave the pills to SOMEONE ELSE, who gave the pills to SOMEONE ELSE, who THEN gave the pills to the kid who died!

fucking THREE PEOPLE LATER and hes still fucking responsible for it??

god damn, this story is so insane that I gotta come back later to post, if i keep tryin to write a reply right now its just gonna be like AHHH GODD DAMMIT Alkshdlsdhgklsdptsj!!!!!! :X:X:X:X:X:X
2066.gif
2066.gif
2066.gif

What a joke, nobody else is held accountable for them misuse of products they sell.

Hey! insensitive assholes! I can appreciate the proud drug addict who od's and lives to tell about it. How impressive. And the very intelligent one who picked up on the "trio" of hands the drugs passed through before it reached Brandon. Did 'ya read the part that the drugs were stolen from a NURSING HOME? I will skip through the rest of the bullshit you all have posted. Just know that when I found my son dead and his brothers, sister, father, and army reserve sergeant came to see him because "you had to see it to believe it," think twice about what you say.this could be your family member, child or friend. God forbid.

Hey! insensitive assholes! I can appreciate the proud drug addict who od's and lives to tell about it. How impressive. And the very intelligent one who picked up on the "trio" of hands the drugs passed through before it reached Brandon. Did 'ya read the part that the drugs were stolen from a NURSING HOME? I will skip through the rest of the bullshit you all have posted. Just know that when I found my son dead and his brothers, sister, father, and army reserve sergeant came to see him because "you had to see it to believe it," think twice about what you say.this could be your family member, child or friend. God forbid.

I am sorry for the death of your son. I can not imagine the pain...

Highlights, we are all on the same side here. Trust me. When you see the users of this forum ridicule such news articles it is because of the ridiculousness of the war on drugs. It causes us to ridicule anything and everything because of how senseless and stupid it all really is.

Think about it, honestly...if drugs were legalized and users could buy from a pharmacy, there would be instructions on the box and the user would not take a random "white baggy" home. In case of this sad article, the diversion of drugs would not be as rampant, as anyone who desires them could get them from a pharmacy. Your son, if underage, would of had less of a chance of obtaining them, as no one would be willing to sell them and compete with prices from the government. They would be out of business.

We are not laughing at the death of Brandon. We are laughing at this ridiculous war on people. The day will come, when lecturers at Universities (100-200years from now) will be lauding and getting students to write papers on this stupidly excessive stomp on privacy and humanity of a time. It is the middle ages all over again, with modern overtones.

Not sure about overdoses as that is surely user-error, but I see no reason whatsoever why drug dealers who sell impure products that cause death (like PMA instead of MDMA) shouldn't be held to account for it.

Not sure about overdoses as that is surely user-error, but I see no reason whatsoever why drug dealers who sell impure products that cause death (like PMA instead of MDMA) shouldn't be held to account for it.

So your saying drug dealers should have pharmacy degrees or doctorate,phd etc. So they don't sell impure products