• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Fed up with side effects?

Pissed_and_messed

Moderator: EADD
Staff member
My heart goes to all users of antipsychotics. And anyone really.

I am pissed off of mirtazapine and memory issues. Mirtazapine is pretty much the only thing which guarantees me "normal sleep schedule" and shit. For limited period of time, ofc.

The memory issues are just fucking ridiculous. Stupifying. As 5ht-3 antagonist it should enhance memory. But fuck no. It just fucks memory forming process. Everything is just fog and false memories. It critically decreases executive function because I can not do anything right because I dont remember shit. I can't figure out what I ate for lunch. And there is really next to nothing I can do about it. With other drugs I have learned to compensate. But mirtazapine-headspace leaves no opportunity for that, nothing to grab on. It is just so shallow. Things just happen around me. And I am just detective, feeling helpless, trying to figure out the fuck I have done.

Are you taking other drugs which might mess with your sleep or have taken such recently?

Mirtazapine used to knock me out and have me zombified for the next day some time ago but nowadays it lost all efficacy, I could take 15, 30 or 90(!)mg and stay up as if I didn't take any. So I stopped using it.

As a temporal sleep aid I find zopiclone very good (but it can't be used without limits because addiction) or then the old 1st-gen antihistamines, these utilize the same mechanism as mirtazapine but without its secondary effects. Like hydroxyzine, doxylamine or the weak diphenhydramine.

Good luck!

Are you taking other drugs which might mess with your sleep or have taken such recently?

Mirtazapine used to knock me out and have me zombified for the next day some time ago but nowadays it lost all efficacy, I could take 15, 30 or 90(!)mg and stay up as if I didn't take any. So I stopped using it.

As a temporal sleep aid I find zopiclone very good (but it can't be used without limits because addiction) or then the old 1st-gen antihistamines, these utilize the same mechanism as mirtazapine but without its secondary effects. Like hydroxyzine, doxylamine or the weak diphenhydramine.

Good luck!
yea kind of all time. I don't commonly sleep natural. There is life-long disorder/anomaly or few. It doesn't get infinitely better without drugs.

Mirtazapine h1-inverse agonism reaches the ceiling point anyway at 15-30 mg. 5ht-2c antagonism is maxed little later, I suppose. I dunno if tolerance changes it. I do 30 mg, it pretty much knocks out commonly but I can get up at morning for significant alpha-antagonism. I think I could try just 15 mg on longer binges while I am unemployed.

I take breaks, but it seems possible some kind of persistence tolerance is developed. Tho I can still sleep 15 hours a day sometimes, I wake up every now and then. But I am still recovering of benzos.

Good luck!
h1-antagonists like hydroxyzine ain't just as stronk! as mirtazapine

I can't deal with pharmaceuticals anymore. They are shitty concoctions made by an industry that has the genius to do better, but keeps people half-sick maintains profit margins. I have been so screwed up by big pharma that I look at alternative medicine/natural medicine, or I just live with diseases untreated.

I'm sorry you are dealing with harsh side effects. "Medicine", if you can call it that, is in such a sorry state.

Last edited:
I found Mirtazapine to be pretty good in that respect (Im on max 45mg tabs) I can have a great nights sleep & still wake up n be Tops in the morning!!!
...Which was unlike the 60mg Amitriptyline that I had previously been prescribed for sleep (I found Temazes to be absolutely useless in that respect) but the negative side effect/impact with Endep, was that it made me feel like a zombie for at least a good 3-4hrs after awaking!!!

I have never taken 45 mg and not felt horribly grumpy and agitated next morning
Mirtazapine, for me, has few side effects, but those who happen, are pretty bad, like agitation, memory issues, metabolism slowing and emotional numbing. I don't cope with them well.