View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

fear of tripping

hc45

Greenlighter
I have always wanted to try psychedelics, but fear is what holds me back and I find the whole subject kind of daunting, because there are so many different types, shapes and form.

I guess I fear not being in control of my body or seeing bad things, what drives me to want to try psychedelics is that I have read that you can learn a lot about yourself and life from tripping and also iv read reports that say it may help improve mood.

Mushrooms are something I do not think I could be comfortable with, cactus is something iv been looking at. I would want to have a few mild trips and see how I feel.

If I were to just start off with psychedelics I think I'd want to start with something like 2ci. I find that it's got quite a strong enactogen quality which can help with curbing the possibility of a bad trip and he also has visuals that are moderately strong, nothing to overwhelming so though, pretty mild compared to most other psychedelics I find.

Just start low and work your way up. Mushrooms and mescaline have a long history of safety so I'd recommend those over a synthetic that's much more poorly understood.

I'd you can't let go of control, however, psychedelics may not be for you. Letting go of control is pretty crucial to psychedelic use in my opinion, even with weed.

I'll add a thing or two I definitely agree with recommend using something tried for many many generations like mushrooms or cactus. I recommend saving the cactus until you learn to appreciate it as it's years to grow vs. a month or so for a whole village supply worth of mushrooms.

As far as letting go that is not the only thing to learn. It is also to accept the realities of life you may want to deny and appreciating the reality of life for what it is no matter what. It is the hardest thing to do that I personally still struggle with every day.

I do try to remember these words though as I feel they represent this point well,
"You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes well you just might find
You get what you need"

I used to hold similar fears that you do before trying psychs; I now feel they were unfounded. I've never felt fear on psychs. That being said, I'd recommend low dose mushrooms (1-2 grams) or something very mellow such as 2C-C as a starter if you're still nervous.

Last edited:
Word of advice, have a trip sitter (either someone not doing it, or preferably someone whose experienced with it) to watch you and keep you straight. You dont want to be found down the road breaking into someones garage (it sucks trust me).. Also remember to tell yourself "this is just a drug, its temporary"

For your first time with whatever substance you end up picking to start with, make sure to start with a light dose, you don't know how you will be mentally effected if you've got no experience with psychedelics. You can always do more, but never less. Also if you can get benzo's (best would be attivan, xanax, or k-pins) that might not be a bad idea in case your trip turns south.

3g of mushrooms is not a safe starting dose.
I did a good 3.5 my first time and while I was pretty overwhelmed it was the most enlightening, beautiful, and fulfilling experience ever. Just don't eat the whole 3.5 grams at once. Eat a gram at most to start and when you feel at a good level I'd assume after an hour or two work on eating more if you feel comfortable. Just do whatever you feel comfortable with just make sure you have someone who you trust with you the first time to watch over you and keep you safe.

But everyone is different and you don't know until you've tried. My very first psychedelic experience was on 2g of shrooms and I absolutely lost my shit. 3.5g is a dose I would still be wary to tred again, after years of experience since. A significant proportion of cowboys end up regretting it when they can't find their own body in the hallucinogenic thresher.

That's why I reinforced the idea of a trip sitter and starting slow.... Please read my post before arguing it.

Edit: I'll add you should be weary putting anything in your body.... Who knows what pink slime is in your meat.

But others would tell you redosing on shrooms is a bad idea in general, and 1g of shrooms is incomparable to 3g. Sorry, I'm standing by my position that 3g is a bad dose to start with under any circumstances. OP can take it or leave it.

I respect your opinion and we can only agree to disagree. I definitely feel redosing isn't the best choice although it is always better to be safe than sorry. There is the option of making tea out of three grams diluted a fair amount, 20 oz or more, and sipping it slowly over the evening although making tea takes lots of care as to not over heat and destroy the mushroom. A 30-60 minute lukewarm soak in a dark place not exposed to air agitated 3-5 times for a good minute as it soaks is a good method in my opinion.....

Really it's whatever they are comfortable with I'm just throwing out options they can learn for themselves rather then giving expectations of dosage without even knowing their body weight or anything else about them.

If you want to remain in control then you shouldn't take large doses of a psychedelic drug on your first try. It's as simple as that.

Lots of people lose control and panic when the experience becomes more intense than they expected and they can't handle it mentally. Doing it in the wrong setting or at an inconvenient time could also add more stress.

Please start low (2 grams or less of shrooms) and do it in a controlled setting preferably with a sober sitter. Set aside 6-8 hours where you won't have any responsibilities. And remember that you can always take more drugs but you can't un-take drugs once you've ingested them.