• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Fear of death is irrational

It might be only you who is there to embrace, and all the who what when where and why's that could come to mind.

Has anyone been far even as decided to do maybe go look far as PiP has done? Because if PiP has gone so far even as decided as anyone could, then how could we do so much as to produce where more as anyone else?

I dont know how else to say it: the harshest judgements of yourself, are the judgements you make.

The only thing to fear about your death, are the consequences of your actions, or lack of action in your life upon reflection.

_________
its one of those, its 'all in your head' deals, and thats not such a bad thing...?
;)

Last edited:
Has anyone been far even as decided to do maybe go look far as PiP has done? Because if PiP has gone so far even as decided as anyone could, then how could we do so much as to produce where more as anyone else?

a conciser quandary hath seldom been spake

I too am scared of the pain but not death. We're all caterpillers my friends. The next stage is where we experience total conciousness. Where we become butterflys.
I'm spritually fit, at peace with my creator, and ready to join my ancestors.

Fear of anything is irrational, if you ponder long enough. This is how Vietnamese buddhists can set themselves ablaze and not show any physical signs of discomfort.QUOTE]

Off this topic but this made me think of the "Occupy" movement where a bunch of Liberals came up with the laziest way to protest. One of them needs to go to wallstreet and set themselves on fire. Thats a fucking protest my friend.

Buddhists don't cling. They don't give a fuck about some rich white assholes who hoodwinked a bunch of other white/black/yellow/etc assholes.

Those people were selfish. There are plenty of things to fight for but you're own pocketbook isn't one of them. How about the sweatshops that produced it?

Self-serving hipster nonsense.

He's a buddhist - or a philosophical person that believes in Systems Theory.

I happen to as well, though I don't speak as cryptically in serious forums.

The all is one concept. Tat Tvam Asi. Thou art That etc.

At least that's what I can get from it. It will only be you in the end. But you're everything so you're not alone. It's a nice idea and the closest any religious group has come to giving me an answer that's practical, so I settle for it.

And I've seen it in work - deep meditation - methoxetamine trance - Yage - fasting.

I dunno. I like my life. In fact, I love my life. I'm doing a lot of really exciting stuff. Seems natural that I want it to continue.

Also, if you think about it from a biological / evolutionary perspective, it's no wonder that we are naturally afraid of death.

Survival yes, its logical.

But I'm a philosopher who suffers so that does me no good.

I can't wait to die, in fact. I want to see what happens. Among other reasons.

He's a buddhist - or a philosophical person that believes in Systems Theory.

I happen to as well, though I don't speak as cryptically in serious forums.

The all is one concept. Tat Tvam Asi. Thou art That etc.

At least that's what I can get from it. It will only be you in the end. But you're everything so you're not alone. It's a nice idea and the closest any religious group has come to giving me an answer that's practical, so I settle for it.

And I've seen it in work - deep meditation - methoxetamine trance - Yage - fasting.

I'd describe 'myself' as Buddhist as well, but that response from PiP was grammatically-fucked beyond recognition. The follow-up and your response above align with my views, mostly, so I have no more to add.

I'm not scared to die-- in fact, I'm excited to see what happens. I've experienced mushrooms, mescaline, and salvia, and all have taught me to be optimistic and curious about death. I'm a Buddhist, but I don't believe in reincarnation as a physical "coming back," but a continuous renewal of consciousness that probably never ends.

If death came to me in the next minute, I'd embrace it the best I could.

I'm of this mindset.

How wonderful it will be to let go - no more bills - to experience whatever mystical sitation should come to pass.

You get to find out where you go!

From the NDEs I've had, death is way more enjoyable than living. It's easy, blissful, and fully loving/supportive.

It seems to me that most people fear the process of dying because it will mean having to confront themselves deeply, profoundly, and truthfully; and if you haven't done this for most of your life because you've been avoiding or in denial, then dying is going to be hard for you.

It's living that's hard. Living with this ego that constantly wants to self-assert and be real.

As for fear of death. Fear or not, it's going to happen, and when it does these questions will cease to matter.

Pure rationality is impractical. Nature breeds a fear of death into you, its an evolutionary advantage.

Ideally, fear of death is irrational.

Practically/realistically its quite understandable. If i had children, i would fear death if it meant they would be in a worse place with me gone.

The point, is not to let an imbalance form, that makes fear of death a barrier to life itself.

But yes, fear of an unmovable, and opaque transition to the unknown that follows death is a bit silly ideally.

We are animals afterall though, and we will never shed fear of death.

i liked the dark knight rises' insights into deathfear.

"If death came to me in the next minute, I'd embrace it the best I could."

It might only be you, who is there to embrace, and all of the 5 W's that come to your mind.

plus: how am i responsible?
_________

you are the judge jury and re-executioner.

Last edited:
Sometimes I try to think: What was it like before I was conceived? Obviously I have no recollection, as far as I can comprehend I did not exist. Then I think: Was it frightening? I answer no, and then conclude: So to not exist isn't frightening, and tell myself not to be afraid. But of course I, like most people (I think) am afraid of dying. Irrational? Probably. But I am also afraid of living in a way, lol.

Sometimes I try to think: What was it like before I was conceived? Obviously I have no recollection, as far as I can comprehend I did not exist. Then I think: Was it frightening? I answer no, and then conclude: So to not exist isn't frightening, and tell myself not to be afraid. But of course I, like most people (I think) am afraid of dying. Irrational? Probably. But I am also afraid of living in a way, lol.

At the risk of sounding way pretentious: I think that most people are, upon reflection, more afraid of the consequences of their death (or their impending death) to the living, rather than its effect upon the dead and the dying, including themselves. One of the most frequently cited reasons for not killing oneself - other than "I love my life" - is, "My [family members, friends, SOs, even pets or coworkers or whatever the fuck] 'need' me." I think this attests to a quiet kind of strength and philosophical sophistication among those who would otherwise be regarded as cognitively dysfunctional head-cases and/or desperate victims of pitiful life circumstance.

Sometimes I try to think: What was it like before I was conceived? Obviously I have no recollection, as far as I can comprehend I did not exist. Then I think: Was it frightening? I answer no, and then conclude: So to not exist isn't frightening, and tell myself not to be afraid.

You also had no sense experience before you were born; no life, no friends, no family, no sex or pain or joy or anything; so, the fear of dying comes from giving this stuff up, probably.

PA - Oh ok, well doesn't occur to me because my death would have no consequences lol, I know my flatmate would feed my cat n stuff.

Changed - Exactly, if there's nothing then there is nothing to fear, is what I what I was getting at.