Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

FDA: People are overdosing on anti-diarrhea drugs

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
FDA: People are overdosing on anti-diarrhea drugs
June 7, 2016

WASHINGTON — Federal health officials are investigating sometimes-deadly overdoses with common anti-diarrhea drugs, a bizarre manifestation of the nation’s drug abuse problem.

The primary ingredient in prescription Imodium and similar over-the-counter drugs is intended to control diarrhea. But abusers sometimes try to achieve heroin-like highs by taking massive doses, up to 300 milligrams at once, according to cases in the medical literature. Recommended doses range between 8 milligrams and 16 milligrams per day.

The Food and Drug Administration warned doctors and patients Tuesday that the drugs can cause potentially deadly heart problems when taken at higher-than-recommended levels. The agency has received 31 reports of people hospitalized due to the heart problems, including 10 deaths over the last 39 years. The agency’s database is not comprehensive and many drug overdoses are not reported to the government.

But national poison centers reported a 71 percent increase in calls involving loperamide-containing drugs between 2011 and 2014, according to a journal article published last month in the Annals of Emergency Medicine.

The paper’s authors recommended restricting over-the-counter sales of the anti-diarrhea drugs, similar to other easily abused medications like pseudoephedrine, the decongestant that can be processed into methamphetamine.

FDA regulators said in an online posting that they are monitoring the issue and considering next steps.

Reports of abuse are rising amid an epidemic of addiction and abuse involving opioids, a family of drugs that includes narcotics like heroin and legal prescriptions like morphine and oxycodone. In some cases, opioid abusers will attempt to wean themselves off those drugs by substituting the anti-diarrhea drugs.

cont http://www.denverpost.com/2016/06/07/fda-people-are-overdosing-on-anti-diarrhea-drugs/

For people in the know do you ever just loom up at the sky and shake your head in total acceptance of the idiocy and unavoidable failure of the human race.

Who do we have working at the FDA.. the "report" mentioned by the article is total shit. remember statistics can be manipulated. A 71% increase sounds heavy right.

Well how many cases are we even talking about???

The FDA (Fucking Dumb Asses) are looking to regulate lope while they continue to ignore the oxy bill family and fight MJ. Really you just have to puke in your mouth at this point.

I don't even read shit from the fda any more unless im looking to invest money.

I just don't understand that rationality of banning lope. Like here lets take away another drug that stops opiate addicts from doing crazy things to get well. No way there will be unforeseen consequences. If it does look like itll be banned I am going to buy a shitload of it in bulk and sell it on the DNM at a huge markup

Last edited:
You mean lope not bupe right? And all the FDA did was issue a warning to consumers about the dangers and medical professionals to be vigilant. The only one remotely stating (for now) that loperamide should be restricted were the authors of the paper.

The problem with loperamide is the quantities it normally takes to aid withdrawal or to get high. I mean opiate addicts already a lot of the time push the envelope on dosing. A cheap, OTC drug that helps them through is no obstacle, dose be damned. But many also dont know or care that these mega doses can kill you or fuck you up in a major way. Honestly, we here need to do a better job at warning against the risks.

I think everyone should stock up on bottled water and non perishable food.

Misuse of Loperamide
The misuse of loperamide does not seem to be a new phenomenon, and the number of people purposely
misusing loperamide seems to be low but widespread. For example, the Washington Poison Center stated that
its first reported case occurred in 2006, and the Texas Poison Control Program reported its first case occurred in
2003. Washington reported approximately 9 cases from 2006 to 2015 (and 1 in early 2016), and Texas reported
19 from 2003 to 2015. Nationwide, the number of calls to poison centers involving the intentional abuse or
misuse of loperamide increased from 87 in 2010 to 190 in 2014 (AAPCC annual reports;
http://www.aapcc.org/annual-reports/).
https://ndews.umd.edu/sites/ndews.umd.edu/files/u1424/Loperamide NRF FINAL.pdf

Shocking, run your kid will be next!!!! More like your kid will be far more likely to die from an opiate overdose is lope is restricted.

Speaking further about Medical mistakes and Reliability.. We might wan't to address a real problem.

Medical errors may be third leading cause of death in the U.S.

Through their analysis of four other studies examining death rate information, the doctors estimate there are at least 251,454 deaths due to medical errors annually in the United States. The authors believe the number is actually much higher, as home and nursing home deaths are not counted in that total.

I wonder if the added opiate overdose cases will ever be counted in the giant ocean of medical killings? I wonder if the many of the victims of the opiate epidemic should be added as well. No time to think about that now because I have to go hide my kid in the basement until the lope epidemic has come and passed.

Be safe and don't get the diarrhea.. you'll be hooked for life.

Here is a thread about this wonderful "study" they keep bringing up

Study: Addicts Turning To Anti-Diarrhea Medication Imodium A-D To Get High

Last edited:
Abstract
Aims
Many websites provide a means for individuals to share their experiences and knowledge about different drugs. Such User-Generated Content (UGC) can be a rich data source to study emerging drug use practices and trends. This study examined UGC on extra-medical use of loperamide among illicit opioid users.

Methods
A website that allows for the free discussion of illicit drugs and is accessible for public viewing was selected for analysis. Web-forum posts were retrieved using web crawlers and retained in a local text database. The database was queried to extract posts with a mention of loperamide and relevant brand/slang terms. Over 1290 posts were identified. A random sample of 258 posts was coded using NVivo to identify intent, dosage, and side-effects of loperamide use.

Results
There has been an increase in discussions related to loperamide's use by non-medical opioid users, especially in 2010–2011 Loperamide was primarily discussed as a remedy to alleviate a broad range of opioid withdrawal symptoms, and was sometimes referred to as “poor man's” methadone. Typical doses ranged 70–100 mg per day, much higher than an indicated daily dose of 16 mg.

Conclusions
This study suggests that loperamide is being used extra-medically to self-treat opioid withdrawal symptoms. There is a growing demand among people who are opioid dependent for drugs to control withdrawal symptoms, and loperamide appears to fit that role. The study also highlights the potential of the Web as a “leading edge” data source in identifying emerging drug use practices.

http://www.drugandalcoholdependence.com/article/S0376-8716(12)00429-2/fulltext

Wonder what website they are talking about and giving praise to. This was cited in the NDEWS Reports from the Field: Loperamide
May 13, 2016

I wonder if some greedy people have realized the potential for lope to treat opiate addiction as well as to detox people off and are stirring up a panic to get it reclassified in order to try and make a ton of money

Alright i will end this rant.

How will they make a ton of money? If anything they will move it behind the counter like pseudoephedrine. And there still is prescription loperamide but it is the same strength.

Are you advocating loperamide is a suitable drug for opiate withdrawal?

How will they make a ton of money? If anything they will move it behind the counter like pseudoephedrine.

Pseudoephedrine was moved behind the counter to restrict access to deterer the meth labs. Lope would be moved to restrict access to attempt to deter abuse.

Like you already know scheduling of the drugs in america is based off
The DEA implements the CSA and may prosecute violators of these laws at both the domestic and international level. Within the CSA there are five schedules (I-V) that are used to classify drugs based upon their abuse potential, medical applications, and safety.

So might they attempt to get it scheduled 4 or 5?

And there still is prescription loperamide but it is the same strength.

Manufacturer: J AND J CONSUMER INC
Approved Prior to Jan 1, 1982

Generic version

Manufacturer: MYLAN
Approval date: September 18, 1991
Strength(s): 2MG [AB]

Manufacturer: TEVA
Approval date: April 30, 1992
Strength(s): 2MG [AB]

Given how safe it seems to be how hard would it be to get a higher dose approved for opiate withdrawal. You would not have to start at ground level for a medication that has been around this long?

So they try and get it restricted to prescription by using the hysteria they are . Study and get approval from the FDA for its use as an opiate withdrawal/ maintenance drug and jack the price up to suboxone ?

Suboxone, the Blockbuster Drug: Now 28th Highest in Retail Sales

http://www.statista.com/statistics/296143/top-ten-us-over-the-counter-brands-for-digestives/

http://www.drugs.com/stats/suboxone

Last edited:
Its not safe. Thats the problem. Not at doses you need for withdrawal. Link to the 4 studies showing cardiac conductance issues too.

I agree. Methadone is far more managed and more is known about dosing in regards to QT prolongation. And with it and Suboxone, which has negligble effect on conductance, why do we need lope for this purpose? You know I dont fault opiate addicts for anything NSA but it is not a good option to leave in our hands alone.

I agree with some of that. I think lope may be a very good prospect for long term maintenance. But IMO you can't really get high off this stuff even if you manipulate the system. I don't think there are many people going out and buying lope to try and get high and ending up dependent.

So I feal to panic and jump the gun and place severe restrictions on this and place it behind the counter is going to drive a whole bunch of people back to the dope man. Just like when they cracked down on the pills. Just like when a Dr recognizes an addiction and cuts the addict off. Just saying hey cartels and cops and ER's here is another one. So they get back on the smack and end up with some fent loaded stuff which not only causes the heart issues, but often also causes acute opiate overdose death.

What do we gain by moving it behind the counter without having an alternate plan in place?

NSA i love all the data. That is amazing.

Thanks chef:D

Last edited:
I think the more publicity it gets the worse it's gonna get because not everyone knows its potential. IME lope was good and turned ugly quick and the side effects and wd were way worse than the short term benefits...like most drugs I suppose only more intense. Limiting its use like pseudoephedrine may prevent some things simply because the typical dose and what would be rationed as a month supply wouldn't last a user more than a few days at best. There's always smurfing and no doubt the long term lope addicts who haven't had cardiac events yet will find a way but it would take a lot of effort. Any addict will find a way. If they start removing computer duster, whipped cream, poppyseeds, or whatever there's always something else that isn't restricted. I find it amazing that the prescription drugs are being cut back while states are speed tracking medical marijuana through legislature. I think the focus should be on accountability, compliance, and safety not push this/restrict that. Let the doctors be doctors and make an unbiased judgement call on who needs what and how much.

I think the more publicity it gets the worse it's gonna get because not everyone knows its potential. IME lope was good and turned ugly quick and the side effects and wd were way worse than the short term benefits...like most drugs I suppose only more intense. Limiting its use like pseudoephedrine may prevent some things simply because the typical dose and what would be rationed as a month supply wouldn't last a user more than a few days at best. There's always smurfing and no doubt the long term lope addicts who haven't had cardiac events yet will find a way but it would take a lot of effort. Any addict will find a way. If they start removing computer duster, whipped cream, poppyseeds, or whatever there's always something else that isn't restricted. I find it amazing that the prescription drugs are being cut back while states are speed tracking medical marijuana through legislature. I think the focus should be on accountability, compliance, and safety not push this/restrict that. Let the doctors be doctors and make an unbiased judgement call on who needs what and how much.

QFT. I always say that. Restricting something is really not a deterrent. It only drives things underground, makes them less safe, and limits the revenue that legitimate businesses can make (on the converse it enriches criminal organizations.)

Bupe, and done should be regulated but made more widely available. There are very few long term opiate addicts that are loving the lifestyle anymore.